Shampoo soap FDA classification

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juliab86

Reaction score
Want to start out by saying I am not selling, but I was wondering about one of the FDA labeling regs.

Without getting into labeling or advertising (I've read enough posts to know that open a whole different can of worms), I was wondering if shampoo soap, just by the fact that it's a shampoo, automatically puts it into the category of cosmetic? The below link seems to indicate that shampoos are cosmetics, but since shampoo soaps aren't really shampoos in the tradition sense, can they still be treated and labeled as soaps as long as you are not making any cosmetic claims?

Thanks!

http://www.fda.gov/cosmetics/guidancecomplianceregulatoryinformation/ucm074201.htm

As soon as you label your soap as anything other than just soap, it'll be either a cosmetic or drug, depending on the claims you decide to make.

Thanks, dagmar!

So just to clarify, once you have the intended use of a product as for hair, it moves it from a soap to a cosmetic and the label has to follow INCI regulations

That's what I understood also. 1- it has to be made of soap. 2- can't have added cleansers, only soap for cleaning. 3- a rose by any other name, etc...

---------------------
My tablet has a wonky on-screen keyboard with a mind of its own -- ignore the typos :-/

Thank you both! I love shampoo bars and hope to sell my own in a few years when I perfect a recipe (three different bars so far). Already tearing my hair out over regulations :)

Any words such as "softening" or "volumizing" would push it into cosmetic territory though. It's funny how the same product can change with a few adjectives :)

If your shampoo contains detergent-type surfactants, I don't think you can label it as soap.

The shampoo bars I've been making is CP soap.

According to the link from Paintguru, that company lost the case because they did add a detergent.

How FDA defines "soap"

Not every product marketed as soap meets FDA's definition of the term. FDA interprets the term "soap" to apply only when

• the bulk of the nonvolatile matter in the product consists of an alkali salt of fatty acids and the product's detergent properties are due to the alkali-fatty acid compounds, and
  • the product is labeled, sold, and represented solely as soap [21 CFR 701.20].

I'd contact the FDA with your question.

Back