Shampoo base separation

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SimplyE

Reaction score
So, I have ordered a couple of shampoo bases for this salon to try. I am giving her a variety of scents to choose from, and the first base I use, I have no problem with scenting at less than 1%. Recommended is 0.5% to 2.5%.

So the second base that I am scenting with the same scents at the same ratio of 1% totally separates and turns to the consistency of water. Not shampoo at all :shock: It is a "salon" base that allows you to add FO. WTH?

I have emailed the company, but can anyone enlighten me???

I make my own but will take a guess at this. Does the base you are having trouble with list any form of Carbomer in the ingredients? If yes then that is your problem. Carbomer is a thickner and it will not take any oils if I am right. If so it breaks it down.

Bruce

Yeah, and your shampoo ROCKS! I am not that good/patient to attempt that, yet!

Anyway, I looked at the ingredients and will have to see what/if there is a carbomer. I did "talk" to someone where I purchased it, and they said that actually less than 1% FO is what I should be using. I used 1%. Seems a little too finicky to me if it separates at that, but I sure liked the ingredient list...

Thanks Bruce! :wink:

Back