Shampoo Bars

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know their bars are very popular but they are high in coconut and quite drying, not just to my hair but also for my skin. I got three different kinds of their shampoo bars and don't like any of them, harsh enough to only be good for handwashing.

I also don't like it when companies claim healing properties of any soap or claim that the oils/additives used nourish skin. Saying soap nourishes hair is ridiculous, hair is dead, you can't feed it.

I know their bars are very popular but they are high in coconut and quite drying, not just to my hair but also for my skin. I got three different kinds of their shampoo bars and don't like any of them, harsh enough to only be good for handwashing.

I also don't like it when companies claim healing properties of any soap or claim that the oils/additives used nourish skin. Saying soap nourishes hair is ridiculous, hair is dead, you can't feed it.
Yep, same here. It just makes me see red when people say how great "soap" bars are for their hair. Oils coat hair do not nourish it although with the high ph of soap you will raise up the cuticle and some oils will venture into the cortex, but the high ph soap will also venture into the cortex. This can all cause damage just like over processed hair. Shampoo is not just made for cleansing, yep soap does that, but to also treat hair nicer. You cannot fix "dead hair," only coat it

I think they have great advice about starting with shampoo bars...but I tried some of their hair, face, & body soaps, and I didn't like them very much. Nothing wrong with them, but they were pretty drying (and I'm usually someone who doesn't notice that sort of thing).
I had better luck using soapnuts, alma, & shikakai powder for my hair.

Thanks all for your comments! Good to know! I'm just SO happy to see that "Shampoo Bars" is no longer a "hot topic" and open for discussion! Deo Gratias. I think there's enough interest from our members that we should use our collective knowledge and experience to help out where we can. With that said, here's what I wrote on another thread:

With all due respect to my colleagues here that prefer syndets, I didn't learn to make my own bath and body products to dump more chemicals into my system! I'm a big fan of homemade all natural shampoo bars and I'm thankful that SMF wasn't my first soapmaking forum or I never would have had the pleasure of making homemade shampoo bars.

That being said, the difference between shampoo bars and regular bars is the time it takes to find the choice of oils/fats/butters you find that work for you and for your hair. There's no "one size fits all". For some, that may be coconut-oil-based (copious lather, highly cleansing); for others, that may be olive-oil-based (negligible lather, gentle cleansing), or any variation you can imagine.

Example: I once had a request to make a 100% almond oil (liquid) shampoo for a customer and I was totally blown away by the result. Wonderful, gentle cleansing shampoo that left my hair and scalp totally clean, conditioned, manageable and shiny.

Personally, I've been shampooing for years with every "regular bar" that happens to be in the shower that day, which led to some interesting discoveries. But that first year was challenging. It took time to find the right formula for me. Other CP-ers have the same experience. It's not unusual for a soaper to go back to commercial shampoo for a week or two during that first year before carrying on, as I did. It does take time for your hair to get used to using a non-syndet all natural hard bar.

It's important to rinse thoroughly with increasingly cool water until it's as cold as you can stand it, to close the hair shaft and remove all the soap scum. An acid rinse with apple cider vinegar or lemon (and others) helps remove any residual scum and restores the pH balance to the scalp. A beer rinse adds volume.

For shine, I like to rub a dot or two of argan oil between my palms, then apply to the ends before working it through the rest of my hair.

I think anyone who is interested in formulating a shampoo bar will find any questions they may have, can be answered by clicking on the link I provided in the first post above -- all explained much better than I can.

Note: If you have an idea for a shampoo bar you'd like to try to make, please feel free to ask for help. There's a special forum created precisely for that:
Soap Making Forum > Soapmaking & Candle Recipe & Tutorials Forum > Recipe Feedback

HAPPY SOAPING!

Last edited:
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back