Shampoo Bars

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lane

Reaction score
Have you ever noticed how the second ingredient in most shampoos is SLS?? Even the "natural' ones...

I was doing research on shampoo and it is actually pretty scary the type of stuff they have in them. I googled all of the ingredients...I swear I'm now paranoid about my shampoo...

ANYWAY! I had a friend just give me some shampoo bars. HOW IN THE WORLD DO YOU WASH YOUR HAIR WITH THEM?? Any advice?

I also want to start selling shampoo bars (Instead of liquid) and I found a few really great rebatch recipes. Anyone ever use a good shampoo bar rebatch base?

I make and sell shampoo bars but don't normally use them myself because I don't care for the way they are on my hair. I do like to use them on occasion because they are so good for stripping my hair of any build up.

The Ph of soap is too high and our hair likes a lower Ph. You can try adding some borax to bring the Ph down in your bars or rinse your hair with vinegar to lower the Ph.

I posted a recipe in the soapmaking recipe section Rosemary Rebatch soap

pepperi27 said:
I posted a recipe in the soapmaking recipe section Rosemary Rebatch soap

Thanks pepperi27!! That was so kind of you to share.

Digit

I have long, thick, curly hair and use my soaps to wash with. I have had trouble trying to lather it in my hair, but otherwise, works great! I either lather it in my hands and then rub in my hair or try to rub the soap directly on my hair without causing tangles. I usually use apple cider vinegar as my rinse.

I used to make and use shampoo bars all the time and I loved them....will have to make some more soon. The only thing I did't like was that my hair would wrap around the bars and it would look like a little chia pet in the shower. Fussy I guess cause I kept trying to take the hair off. My hair is short now so that won't be a problem.

I did find that once a week or so I would need to use "the bad shampoo" to keep my hair in balance. I have to switch back and forth with regular shampoo anyway.

I make and use shampoo bars. Instead of doing a full rinse with vinegar I mix some with water and put it in a spray bottle that I can then just mist over my hair. Seems to do the trick for me.

If you want a couple of recipes let me know and I will pm them over to you.

Joanne

CPSoaper said:
The Ph of soap is too high and our hair likes a lower Ph. You can try adding some borax to bring the Ph down in your bars or rinse your hair with vinegar to lower the Ph.

May I ask when/how would you add the borax? I realize it must be dissovled and I am guessing at the very end. How will this affect the rest of the saponification in cp? Would you gel? Am I getting too tangled up in details?

Digit
(seeing an experiment in near future :D )

CPSoaper said:
Very interested in the Borax info...

I use shampoo bars all the time, but they are ones that I got from a craft fair so I don't know any of the particulars as to content or ph. :(

I just rub the bar on my hair and that works fine. Have SHORT hair now, but it was long and the direct approach worked pretty well then, too.

I saw somewhere (I think on WSP) a base that worked both as a shower body wash and a liquid shampoo as well, I read the reviews and they were stellar!! :D I am 99% sure that it didn't have any of the baddies in, but they say all that in the description.

HTH,

Della :)

beadella said:
I saw somewhere (I think on WSP) a base that worked both as a shower body wash and a liquid shampoo as well, I read the reviews and they were stellar!! :D I am 99% sure that it didn't have any of the baddies in, but they say all that in the description.
Link, please? :D I'm having a h*ll of a time with shampoo. EVERYTHING has SLS and all that other junk in it :( :( :( I do have a great organic base, but it is less than super as a shampoo. I NAILED conditioner though and I'm stoked!

So sorry about that, Lane, my sourse does have stellar reviews, but has all the baddie chems in it as well.......................the search continues....................... :cry:

quote="Lane"]Have you ever noticed how the second ingredient in most shampoos is SLS?? Even the "natural' ones...

As I realize this is my second post on this particular I decided to answer this one. SLS is not any ingredient in my shampoo bar.

I was doing research on shampoo and it is actually pretty scary the type of stuff they have in them. I googled all of the ingredients...I swear I'm now paranoid about my shampoo...

Don't be paranoid. :D "Poo bars aren't scary. At least not the way I make them.

ANYWAY! I had a friend just give me some shampoo bars. HOW IN THE WORLD DO YOU WASH YOUR HAIR WITH THEM?? Any advice?

I made a liquid shampoo and used that recipe for over a year. Once I new I could dupe it over and over I turned it into a bar. Mind you...I used Failor's method of overalkalizing and used a vinegar rinse and conditioner and my hair has NEVER been softer. I refigured it for a bar soap and superfatted at 1%. I've been using it for almost two weeks. Long enough to notice a difference if there would be one. My hair feels the same way it did with the liquid version. I have weird hair too. At times it will be oily and need the extra cleaning....Others it is a touch dry. It's balanced with my bar. My hair dresser even mentioned how healthy it is. :D It's not hard to use either. Wet the hair and begin to rub it in...Bubbles like mad.

I also want to start selling shampoo bars (Instead of liquid) and I found a few really great rebatch recipes. Anyone ever use a good shampoo bar rebatch base?

I really don't think you need one. As long as you figure out what type of hair you have....Experiment with coconut amounts between 68 and 76% and then add the moisturizing oils of your choice. I don't normally superfat but wanted to see what 1% would do. I like 0% myself. Give it a little time with a few experiments and find what you like best. Remember that vinegar rinses are your friend. That and a good conditioner. You can't go wrong.

:D

I made a nice shampoo bar with simple ingredients. Mine was low in cleansing to avoid stripping hair oils, high in conditioning, very high in both bubbly and creamy lather. It was mostly 4 oils, OO & CO slightly more, PO and castor slightly less, and a dash of avocado. It is moderately hard but not overly so, allowing it to work up with just a small amount of water plus hand work, conditioning 59 is fairly conditioning, and bubbly/creamy36 is a good lather performer.

This shampoo bar has replaced my liquid soap and is now my primary hair care for dry hair conditioning. It has made my dry scalp problem go away. I didn't even know that was possible. However I think any CP soap would have also cured the dry scalp problem, in retrospective. Not that I know. But anyway CP makes better shampoo than the liquid stuff you get in stores, probably detergents. I didn't know that then. It's funny when you get interested in soapmaking you find there is clean and not clean, but there are also many degrees including cleaning agent caused problems of dry skin or other skin problems caused by mass produced commercial soaps. All the years I never realized my dry scalp problem was caused by commercial soaps.

Back