Shampoo bars with tar?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaryKaitlyn

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm new to this forum, and have a question about making something equivalent to the nuetrogena t-gel. My husband and I currently do a cold process lye soap, and a lye shampoo bar for our family. My son has terrible dandruff problems (almost 3) and deals with terrible eczema flare ups. My homemade shampoo bars weren't helping with the dandruff (jojoba, olive, almond, coconut, castor oils) so I just switched to the over the counter T-Gel. I have been wanting to make a batch of shampoo bars with tea tree oil and a tar. T-Gel currently has coal tar and it's not just sold over the counter. I've heard birch tar and pine are good ones also.

My question: has anyone attempted making a homemade shampoo with tea tree and some kind of a tar????

The PH of soap is to harsh for hair. Especially when someone has special needs. Regardless of what you put in it, it will make matters worse. Many of us here have had shampoo bars ruin our hair. I'd hate to think what it would do to someomes scalp if theya re already suffering with issues. You may want to consider looking into making a syndet shampoo. A good source is www.swiftcraftmonkey.blogspot.com Susan has great information out there.

And many of us use shampoo bars daily with no problems at all (spritzing a water/apple cider vinegar mix on after washing). My daughter has fought eczema since she was very young (2 or 3) and still has problems on her legs. She uses cold process soaps and certain ones work a lot better for her than any "eczema product" (prescribed or OTC). It all depends on what she's sensitive to (palm kernel flakes are particularly problematic; coconut doesn't seem to bother her). But the main thing she does to keep things at bay is to use home made salves that contain nurturing oils and anti-itch oils (e.g. infused violet).

I say keep trying and maybe the pine tar will work out. I've made pine tar soap and shampoo bars but have not combined the two. Yet.

And many of us use shampoo bars daily with no problems at all (spritzing a water/apple cider vinegar mix on after washing). My daughter has fought eczema since she was very young (2 or 3) and still has problems on her legs. She uses cold process soaps and certain ones work a lot better for her than any "eczema product" (prescribed or OTC). It all depends on what she's sensitive to (palm kernel flakes are particularly problematic; coconut doesn't seem to bother her). But the main thing she does to keep things at bay is to use home made salves that contain nurturing oils and anti-itch oils (e.g. infused violet).

I say keep trying and maybe the pine tar will work out. I've made pine tar soap and shampoo bars but have not combined the two. Yet.
What Shunt said above is actually very correct. Ask any Beautician that went through the Depression and could not get shampoo. Once shampoo was readily available, even though not as gentle as today's shampoos, hair improved greatly. Sometimes it will take a year or so for the damage to show up, what happens is you open up the cuticle of the hair thus letting in the damaging soap. All the vinegar accomplishes is closing up the cuticle after the soap has entered. You may state a lot of people use Soap with no damage, but you really do not know how their hair is in a few months or years. Long hair is obviously the most subject to damage since it is not cut monthly as short hair tends to be. Hair cannot be fixed once it is damaged other than cut it off since hair is actually dead, it is just very resilient, some hair more resilient that other.

Eczema is a very personalized skin disorder, what works for one can send another to emergency. I have to use prescription ointments and there are some extremely good ointments by prescription now. Pine tar will send me to emergency along with flax, and recently found out so will Evening Primrose. My eczema hates oils so I use salt soaps and very seldom lotions. Not sure how Violet infused oil is an anti-itch but it it works it is good. I grew up using Cetaphil since it is soapless and water only for my face. Still very seldom use soap on my face other than the periodic wash with a salt bar.

I made a pine tar shampoo bar a few years ago. Even though I made it 10% pine tar, the smell was so strong (to me) that I really couldn't use it until over a year later. I liked it a lot, but I found that 2 to 3 times a week with T gel (with a mild apple cider vinegar rinse) is what finally did the trick for me, along with a gluten free diet. My scalp was about 60-70% covered with plaque psoriasis. Now I only have one little fingertip sized spot along my hairline (when having a stress related flare up) or nothing.

Last edited:
I also made some pine tar soap/shampoo bars a few years ago. After some digging the recipe is below. I will never use it again. It stinks up the whole house for days after making it. For some reason, it smelled okay in the garage, which is where it finally ended up, sort of leathery. Smelled awful in the shower and it was like the smell stayed in my nose for hours. I too went to T-Gel (still smells awful, but not like the bars) and don't use anything with Sodium Laureth Sulfate.

OO - 8.32 oz
PO - 8.32 oz
CO - 8.32 oz
AKO - 3.84 oz
Pine Tar (Creosote free) 3.20 oz
Water 12.16 oz
Lye 4.28 oz

Oops, I forgot to say that I did use Tea Tree and Lavender EO

Last edited by a moderator:
My son has terrible dandruff problems (almost 3) and deals with terrible eczema flare ups.
You might want to try using Polysorbate 80. I once recommended this to a lady with a child that had the same condition and she was blown away by how well it worked. You have to apply it with dry hands to dry hair & scalp and work it in all over. Then wet it, work it into a bit of a lather and rinse with warm to increasingly cool water. Leaves hair squeaky clean and doesn't sting the eyes.

My question: has anyone attempted making a homemade shampoo with tea tree and some kind of a tar????
Yes! And Pine Tar Soap is fairly popular with those needing a soap/shampoo bar for dandruff. I used to make it for a wholesale customer but she stopped selling it when she realized it was "perceived" as a drug vs. just plain soap. (BIG sigh). I'm happy to share my recipe or make it for you if you like. PM me if you're interested.

I did a great hot process pine tar soap with 10% pine tar for my boyfriend with eczema. I thought the smell was strong but He loved it and said it reminded him of baseball the best part was that it worked and didn't have an after smell!

Latest posts

Back