Shampoo Bars - Surfectant percentages

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wouldn't use that much decyl glucoside because the pH of this surfactant is quite high and you don't really want to have to try and adjust the pH. I would also suggest limiting the liquid surfactants to a maximum of around 25% so that your bar is not too soft.

I would advise using at least 10 to 15% of cocamidopropyl betaine as part of the liquid surfactant amount to help melt the SCI.

Hope this helps :)

I wouldn't use that much decyl glucoside because the pH of this surfactant is quite high and you don't really want to have to try and adjust the pH. I would also suggest limiting the liquid surfactants to a maximum of around 25% so that your bar is not too soft.

I would advise using at least 10 to 15% of cocamidopropyl betaine as part of the liquid surfactant amount to help melt the SCI.

Hope this helps :)
Thanks Jacqui - it was the pH I was worried about - but of course I didn't even think of the fact that it is liquid! I am making a cocamidopropyl betaine free bar though.

I am also concerned that most recipes I've found only use about 30% SCI so wondering if my 40% is ok? The SLSA is quite high at 20% too by the looks of other recipes. And do I have to melt the SCI granules? Can I not leave them whole? I see someone in their recipe says I need to grind them first.

You could possibly use another amphoteric surfactant such as sodium lauroamphoacetate instead of the cocamidopropyl betaine. Amphoteric surfactants help to improve mildness so they are always a great addition.

I use the SCI in powder form as I think it gives a more consistent appearance and melt/blend it with the cocamidopropyl betaine as a first step. I haven't tried with the granules so can't advise too much there but I think you would probably get better performance with a powder form melted/blended into a homogeneous mix.

I have seen a few formulas that have 40% SCI and I remember reading somewhere that people used SCI as the only solid surfactant so I don't think this would be an issue.

You could possibly use another amphoteric surfactant such as sodium lauroamphoacetate instead of the cocamidopropyl betaine. Amphoteric surfactants help to improve mildness so they are always a great addition.

I use the SCI in powder form as I think it gives a more consistent appearance and melt/blend it with the cocamidopropyl betaine as a first step. I haven't tried with the granules so can't advise too much there but I think you would probably get better performance with a powder form melted/blended into a homogeneous mix.

I have seen a few formulas that have 40% SCI and I remember reading somewhere that people used SCI as the only solid surfactant so I don't think this would be an issue.
Thanks for your response Jacqui - I've actually just made them and now they're in the mold, so I will give an in depth report on performance in a few days. Not too sure of the smell - Litsea, Rosemary and Patchouli - smells a bit weird. Ah well - can always give them as Xmas pressies to get rid, lol!

I only know of TRULUX in Australia that sells sodium lauroamphoacetate. They do ship internationally but I have no idea of what the shipping fees would be to NZ.

You could also look for other amphoterics such as cocamidopropyl hydroxysultaine, sodium cocoamphoacetate or disodium cocoamphodiacetate.

I only know of TRULUX in Australia that sells sodium lauroamphoacetate. They do ship internationally but I have no idea of what the shipping fees would be to NZ.

You could also look for other amphoterics such as cocamidopropyl hydroxysultaine, sodium cocoamphoacetate or disodium cocoamphodiacetate.
Thanks Jacqui - I will look them up : )
I think my shampoo bars might need a bit more lather.

Decyl glucoside isn't great for lather but give them a few days to"cure" before you decide to change the formulation.

Can you get Babassuamidopropyl betaine?

There's also Coco betaine but that's got a higher ph than CAPB so you'll have to adjust the ph..

Latest posts

Back