"Shampoo" Bars not soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am not sure what took me so long to get around to making shampoo bars but I am glad I finally got around to it. Well actually, a few weeks ago I made a small batch to try and colored them with purple pigment. My hair loves them and so do I. The purple was for my silver gray hair even though I really do not need whiteners. Loving having no more bottles in the shower, since I have also converted the hubby. He wants DB but since I am sure they will turn at least some shade of dark he will not be able to use them on his gray hair, but they would work for someone with brown to black hair.

Granted they are not cheap to make and the SCI is a pain in the backside to melt down. I just made a tweaked recipe from Susan at Swift Crafty Monkey.
Does anyone know of the least expensive place to buy SLSA in bulk? I cannot come up with much less than $13 per lb plus shipping.

I do not have anything useful to add, but I am willing to assist in the testing of these shampoo bars.
Because I am SUCH a giver :D

I am not sure what took me so long to get around to making shampoo bars but I am glad I finally got around to it. Well actually, a few weeks ago I made a small batch to try and colored them with purple pigment. My hair loves them and so do I. The purple was for my silver gray hair even though I really do not need whiteners. Loving having no more bottles in the shower, since I have also converted the hubby. He wants DB but since I am sure they will turn at least some shade of dark he will not be able to use them on his gray hair, but they would work for someone with brown to black hair.

Granted they are not cheap to make and the SCI is a pain in the backside to melt down. I just made a tweaked recipe from Susan at Swift Crafty Monkey.
Does anyone know of the least expensive place to buy SLSA in bulk? I cannot come up with much less than $13 per lb plus shipping.

Check out this thread:
http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=58408

I'm trying to wrap my brain around a recipe and ingredients for a syndet shampoo bar. I'd like to try it, but it's a little daunting to find I have a rather expensive shopping list to make a single product that I've never used before. But I took pretty much the same plunge when I started into lotion making, so I really can't complain. This feels like a variation of making a lotion, and I do have a few ingredients already, so it's not like I'm starting from scratch with technique or ingredients.

I'm trying to wrap my brain around a recipe and ingredients for a syndet shampoo bar. I'd like to try it, but it's a little daunting to find I have a rather expensive shopping list to make a single product that I've never used before. But I took pretty much the same plunge when I started into lotion making, so I really can't complain. This feels like a variation of making a lotion, and I do have a few ingredients already, so it's not like I'm starting from scratch with technique or ingredients.
I am also trying to get a clear pic in my head about how the ingredients play with each other when making an all surfactant product. I found the list of necessary ingredients expensive and several needed, which is one reason it has taken me so long to try them. I love the convenience but I will say I do not like the bar for dry hair Susan has listed. It is not bad but left my hair slightly crunchy. I prefer her basic bar. Tomorrow I will test the bar for oily hair. Have to admit I did use a different liquid Surfactant from Voyageur and it may be what lended to the Crunchy. It was BSB. I will try the same recipe using Sulfoacetate/Sulfosuccinate Blend from Ingredientstodiefor. I used it in the basic formula of hers and like it.

I was able to acquire a lot of the ingredients from a local gal (Kat) that was cutting back and from my run up North for supplies from a gal leaving the country. Collecting de-stash really helps, plus I have been collecting nice size samples from a manufacturer and large company supplier. Unfortunately I just cannot buy drums!

I make syndet bar (only for myself and my best friend) no for sale, they are pain in the neck but it is worth it, My hair never was as shiny as now, and the falling out is not significant either, it must be aging. When someone make one, that one never will go back to commercial shampoo's. I think I made it maybe three times in the last two years. they are long lasting too:)

I would be particularly interested in making a hybrid soap/syndet shampoo bar. I even have some idea of what ingredients and proportions might work, but in terms of process it seems like a shot in the dark. I don't know how difficult it might be to mix HP soap and surfactants to make a homogeneous product without specialized equipment. Maybe it's not practical. Has anyone tried that on a crafter level?

I have also thought about it TOMH but have not tried it, but would it really be much different than a lye based soap m&p? My m&p recipe used quite a bit of surfacants. Since I do not own a ph meter I cannot test the ph of my m&p

I have also thought about it TOMH but have not tried it, but would it really be much different than a lye based soap m&p? My m&p recipe used quite a bit of surfacants. Since I do not own a ph meter I cannot test the ph of my m&p

I can't predict how it would be, except different from the M&P. The latter is about half composed of solvents to make it meltable, pourable and transparent. That isn't needed for a shampoo bar. There's a plausible looking patent for a bar for skin and hair that's 3/4 soap and 1/4 a specific proportion of 2 types of surfactants, plus some conditioning ingredients. Very straightforward except for how mixable it all is. It's supposed to have a lower pH and not make soap scum, but I think a chelating agent is still needed.

I can't predict how it would be, except different from the M&P. The latter is about half composed of solvents to make it meltable, pourable and transparent. That isn't needed for a shampoo bar. There's a plausible looking patent for a bar for skin and hair that's 3/4 soap and 1/4 a specific proportion of 2 types of surfactants, plus some conditioning ingredients. Very straightforward except for how mixable it all is. It's supposed to have a lower pH and not make soap scum, but I think a chelating agent is still needed.
It is true that the solvents would not be necessary, but you should be able to easily incorporate in liquid surfs biggest issue is bringing down the ph.

Back