Shampoo Bars/Conditioner bars

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rubby0423

Reaction score
Hi!

Does anyone have a good link/recipe to shampoo bars or conditioner bars? Not soap bars made with lye. Looking for a recipe that are similar to the lush shampoo bars.

I have not been able to find a good recipe to use.

Thanks in advance!!

Ruby

I tried a modified version of the mango mango shampoo bar from this site:
https://www.humblebeeandme.com/how-to-make-shampoo/
The butter that I used to substitute the one listed did not work as well, and my bars stayed soft for a longer period of time. Eventually they did harden some, but I found them too cleansing for my hair type, which needs lots of moisture/conditioning. I do want to try her snowflake shampoo bar though.

I tried a modified version of the mango mango shampoo bar from this site:
https://www.humblebeeandme.com/how-to-make-shampoo/
The butter that I used to substitute the one listed did not work as well, and my bars stayed soft for a longer period of time. Eventually they did harden some, but I found them too cleansing for my hair type, which needs lots of moisture/conditioning. I do want to try her snowflake shampoo bar though.
I'm curious, which butter did you use?

Also could it be the surfactant, not the butter that caused the dryness? I'verread that different types of hair don't always agree on the same surfactants. Just wondering here coz I'm doing research on which would be best to try.

Thank you and sorry for the hijack

I'm curious, which butter did you use?

Also could it be the surfactant, not the butter that caused the dryness? I'verread that different types of hair don't always agree on the same surfactants. Just wondering here coz I'm doing research on which would be best to try.

Thank you and sorry for the hijack
Hi! I used cocoa butter and yes, I am pretty sure it was the surfactant that didn’t agree with me, I use it as a clarifying shampoo once or every two weeks though .

You could buy the ezine from Swift Crafty Monkey. It's worth it!

https://swiftcraftymonkey.blog/product/one-shampoo-bar-four-ways/

Hi! I have been looking at this site to make syndet shampoo and my head was spinning cause she has so much to buy. There is that ezine but at same time she has a bigger book with even more recipes for shampoo! What to do!

Are you a Swift Craft Monkey supporter and if so what level? I was trying to decide last night what level is more economical. Thanks for your input.

Hi! I have been looking at this site to make syndet shampoo and my head was spinning cause she has so much to buy. There is that ezine but at same time she has a bigger book with even more recipes for shampoo! What to do!

Are you a Swift Craft Monkey supporter and if so what level? I was trying to decide last night what level is more economical. Thanks for your input.
The 1$ monthly thing hehehe.. You already get access to a lot of stuff, aside from her base recipe.

I support at the $10/mo level. I've noticed over that past year or two, Susan is removing recipes from her blog and including them in ezines . There is still a ton on her blog, but there are recipes I've used before that are not there anymore.
But, the $10/mo will get you any ezines released during your subscription- you will not get all the ezines upon subscribing. You still have to purchase old ones...but, she often skips a month and gives credits for her old ezines. I figure, the best recipes will be in the monthly ezines- it's worth the $10 to me.
If you're only interested in shampoo bars, the "Shampoo Bars 4 Ways" is very comprehensive. If you think you'll be trying more (lotions, conditioners, facial products, etc.), it might be worth the subscription.

I support at the $10/mo level. I've noticed over that past year or two, Susan is removing recipes from her blog and including them in ezines . There is still a ton on her blog, but there are recipes I've used before that are not there anymore.
But, the $10/mo will get you any ezines released during your subscription- you will not get all the ezines upon subscribing. You still have to purchase old ones...but, she often skips a month and gives credits for her old ezines. I figure, the best recipes will be in the monthly ezines- it's worth the $10 to me.
If you're only interested in shampoo bars, the "Shampoo Bars 4 Ways" is very comprehensive. If you think you'll be trying more (lotions, conditioners, facial products, etc.), it might be worth the subscription.

So Dawni suggested 1.00 and you recommend 10.00. What if i went middle of the road at 5.00? Do i still get ezines and recipes?

So Dawni suggested 1.00 and you recommend 10.00. What if i went middle of the road at 5.00? Do i still get ezines and recipes?
Ah.. I only mentioned the 1$ coz you said economical, and that's the only one I can afford lol

It's enough for me though.. As a hobbyist it's enough what she has on her blog (381 pages to go through lol) and resources page.

Also, here's the FAQ about subscriptions page.

Yes, once you download the ezine, it will continue to be available to you.

OK then I will review my needs and go from there.

@Dawni you are correct I did say most economical but what i do want is access to recipes and/or books as well. I am actually not quite sure what I want so I will go middle of the road at 5.00.

Thank you ladies for your help.

Yes, once you download the ezine, it will continue to be available to you.

Hi! May I ask something? Can we cancel the subscription after 2/3 months?

I want to get the ezines but only for the shampoo bar, then I’m done

And if we subscribe $10/month, we could access all of her available ezines at once?

Thank you

I bought the Lisa Lise book .... save your $40. https://www.lisalise.com/shop/make-your-own-shampoo-bars The recipes require a lot of specialty ingredients that I haven't been able to track down in US suppliers - and the few that I have make the bars ridiculously expensive to make.

I have bought the DIY recipe that Deborah linked. I made it once (there are two ways you can make the recipe, pressing the shampoo bar which is more like Lush or melting and pouring into a mold) using the press method. I cannot get them to stay together very well after you start to use them, but I suspect that's more on my making than the recipe itself. My husband likes them for his oily hair, but for my frizz prone dry hair they'll need some tinkering.

I have also used the recipes listed on WSP https://www.wholesalesuppliesplus.com/handmade101/how-to-make-recipes/clarifying-shampoo-bars.aspx Here's one of the four or five recipes they have. If you go to the kits, and then click the recipe tab, you'll find the recipe for each kit. I like these for my hair a lot, but the bars get very mushy when humid (I suspect the sodium lactate, so I'm going to try subbing with stearic acid).

Latest posts

Back