Shampoo Bar

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SPowers

Reaction score
Hi all... I made and started using my first shampoo bar. I like it - sort of but I want to tweak the recipe. My scalp is oily and I'm prone to a bit of psoriasis. I'm wondering if I can add a little 'clay' to my recipe? I'm also wondering if I can add some AC to it. Not necessarily both at once. TIA

When you say “shampoo bar,” do you mean a true shampoo bar that has detergent ingredients like SCI, or the like, to lower the pH? If you not, and you were referring to NaOH soap that you are using to wash your hair, that is not actually “shampoo” - it is soap. You might want to refer to that as “hair soap.” For the majority of people, soap (as opposed to a shampoo bar) will wreck their hair.

You do have to specify, bc the answer will be different depending on which one you are using. 😊 And I think there is a shampoo forum here where you can find good info.

I have added clay to (syndet) shampoo bar before; it worked well, although I don't remember noticing a really significant difference. I also regularly add clay to my (non-shampoo) CP soaps. So it should work for both.
But AliOop is right -- it's best to specify what kind of "shampoo bar" you are talking about.

I am referring to a 'hair' soap bar not a syndet bar. I know there is a 'great divide' when it comes to this subject but I am going to give it the old college try.

You can try adding rhassoul clay, which has been used for centuries in hair washing.

Do a general web search for “Liz Ardlady shampoo bar” and you should find her famous blog post with her basic recipe. You might also want to check out some of the FB groups that are dedicated to non-syndet hair soap.

Thanks for the feedback... I think things are starting to change a bit... just need time.

Back