Shampoo bar

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sauboon

Reaction score
Does anyone have a good shampoo bar recipe I could use? No specific hair type.

Susie-- Thanks for posting that thread. I had seen it before but I was too new to even try to read it. Now I think I am ready! :)

To make good shampoo bar you need to set cleansing to 0. check oils with 0 cleansing. for example olive oil. Based on my last test I found out by adding egg yoke it makes it very good shampoo bar. so far no one complained about it. the recipe doesn't matter pick any oil with highest conditioning. then at trace add yoke. for 3 pound oils i added 2 egg yokes. just to give you some idea. also add Shea butter. make sure water/lye ratio is 2:1.
I used olive oil, palm oil, shea butter, egg yoke. olive oil and palm oil i bough them from trader joes.

Andre

To make good shampoo bar you need to set cleansing to 0. check oils with 0 cleansing. for example olive oil. Based on my last test I found out by adding egg yoke it makes it very good shampoo bar. so far no one complained about it. the recipe doesn't matter pick any oil with highest conditioning. then at trace add yoke. for 3 pound oils i added 2 egg yokes. just to give you some idea. also add Shea butter. make sure water/lye ratio is 2:1.
I used olive oil, palm oil, shea butter, egg yoke. olive oil and palm oil i bough them from trader joes.

Andre

Thanks for providing this, as I have not gotten the chance to read through the thread provided above yet. What percent super fat do you use?

Set the cleansing to 0?

Why should the cleansing be set to 0? I'm confused. Shouldn't a shampoo bar cleanse also? Why not add some coconut oil? I am really trying to understand.

Even a soap with a cleansing value of 0 will clean. All soap will clean, but a cleansing number of 0 will not strip natural oils from your hair/skin. It's just misleading wording on SoapCalc's part.

That being said, some people do like coconut oil in their shampoo bars. Everyone's hair is so different; there's not really a one-size-fits-all solution. I would recommend making a batch with no coconut oil and one with a small amount, like up to 5%, and see which your hair prefers. I try most bars I make on my hair, just to see if I stumble upon something that works well for my hair type.

I used shampoo bars for over a year and I found that 0 cleansing just wasn't enough to keep my scalp clean. I like 5% coconut in mine, might even try a little more next time. As far as SF goes, I have fine hair and use 3% SF. Its still a bit much for me, the excess leaves a bit f residue on my hair. I think my next batch will have 1% SF.

Latest posts

Back