Shampoo Bar Video Tutorial

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been using shampoo bars for 8 years. Quiz came out 'normal' and water float test came out 'low' porosity. :) Interesting theory!

It looks like I forgot to let you know that I do have low porosity hair by both of the tests. I took a few hairs off my brush...I didn't want to pull one out as I need all of them that I have! LOL

Every single one of them had a bit of a curl to them and floated on the curls. I left them in the water for 15 minutes and then checked them and they were still curled with only the tiny bottom part of the curl in the water at all. I thought that was weird...I assumed when I put it in the water that it would flatten out and then do it's thing (float or sink). So I purposely wet them so they looked straight before I added them to the water...and they still floated.

If you want to test your theory here, might it be best to start a new thread? People may not check this one out since it's titled Shampoo Bar Video

If you want to test your theory here, might it be best to start a new thread? People may not check this one out since it's titled Shampoo Bar Video
Great idea! This is such an interesting subject, it deserves its own thread. The more the merrier, me thinks! 😁

Here are the directions from the website:

“Place one strand of hair in a glass of water,” explains Bailey. “If it floats, you may consider it ‘low’ or not absorbent; if it stays in the middle, it is considered ‘normal,’ but if the hair sinks to the bottom, you have high porosity hair.”

Here are the directions from the website:

“Place one strand of hair in a glass of water,” explains Bailey. “If it floats, you may consider it ‘low’ or not absorbent; if it stays in the middle, it is considered ‘normal,’ but if the hair sinks to the bottom, you have high porosity hair.”

I float.

Sounds like you have low-porosity hair then, or perhaps medium-low since the other test results showed medium.

I really do think that porosity makes a difference when it comes to being able to use soap as shampoo. Zany apparently has medium porosity, but she also has fine hair, which seems to be another factor among those who are commonly able to shampoo their hair with soap.

Sounds like you have low-porosity hair then, or perhaps medium-low since the other test results showed medium.

I really do think that porosity makes a difference when it comes to being able to use soap as shampoo. Zany apparently has medium porosity, but she also has fine hair, which seems to be another factor among those who are commonly able to shampoo their hair with soap.

Good to know, I will ask my YD and GD to test as well.

Latest posts

Back