Shampoo Bar - Thanks Lindy!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am looking to buy a bar of shampoo that is Genny's recipe. I am making my own (a bit different), but want to try this shampoo bar right away and have to wait for mine to cure.

Does anyone who has made the original recipe have any cured they are will to sell? I messaged her to see if she had any to sell, but have not gotten a reply. Thanks!

Thank you

I just wanted to post that I made Genny's recipe. It is the first time I've ever used or made a shampoo bar and I am loving it. I have only used it twice so far and I can already tell that my hair likes it. My over 60 hair was quite coarse and this is making it much softer and shinny. Thank you very much for sharing your recipe.:p

Hi, I have spent most of my night reading this whole thread. I see many times the superfat amount is either 3% or 6% . Now, I might need some extra guidance on this, but I could of sworn that I read (like last year) That just about any soap bar could become a shampoo bar just by cutting down the Coconut Oil to under 10% and also by making the superfat between 8 to 10%. That anything less than 8% is not a good idea for a superfat when used in making a shampoo bar. I have nothing to go on as I can not seem to find where I read that information. But, it is now stuck in my head. I want badly to make a shampoo bar, using Ginnys Recipe that so many have bragged about, but I am just scared to use 6%. I feel I need some real help on this. Also, I will be changing it just a bit and adding at least 5% Coconut Oil to the Soap Batch as I have super oily scalp...but DRY DRY Hair itself. Weird, huh?
Anyway, I need the cleansing for my scalp but the moisturizing for the hair. Oh, I think I read that if I used 8% for a superfat, then I would never need to do an ACV Rinse...ya, I think that was part of it. So, a bit of knowledge from the ones who have been their, tried this or that, and have mastered shampoo bars. I just do not have tons of money to waist making lots of batches of shampoo bars just to find out they do not work. Thats why I am trusting this Ginnys Recipe as so many say it works great. Thanks

Did your soap ed up being hard? I placed it on the soap calculator and replaced the soybean oil with bro. Cleansing was 0 and the hardness was 17. What did you use to harden the soap?

you want low cleansing with a shampoo bar and 17 is plenty hard enough. If your bar was too hard, it would take a lot of scrubbing on your hair to build lather and you wouldn't want that.
I did replace the 10% soy with coconut to make the bar a bit more cleansing.

I have to say that I have never used a shampoo bar before the one Jules described above. I will NEVER go back to store shampoo! I formulated a recipe that took out the soybean oil and added coconut and palm both at 5%. I also used 100% acv for the water. I am hoping it is just as good as the one Jules described. I would make that one, but I am trying to get away from soy.

My hair feels amazing! I am so glad I didn't have to go through a ton of shampoo bars that were harsh or waxy. I may have given up. But, this one cleans and when my hair is dried, it is so soft! This is saying a lot because I have ¨horse¨ hair. Very coarse and wiry at times...and thick. I use an acv rinse afterwards with it.

So my new routine now is to use my hair mask I make (I only use this once a week), shampoo bar, acv rinse, and then a hair serum I made. I then let my hair dry on its own and then straighten. It straightens so nice now! I then run a few drops of my hair serum through and wow! I am SO happy with this regimen! Thanks to the OP who started me on this journey of a shampoo bar and then inspiring me to make my own hair products.

Forgive the webcame photo hahaha, but wanted you to see the hair.

1428248442212.5.jpg

I have to say that I have never used a shampoo bar before the one Jules described above. I will NEVER go back to store shampoo! I formulated a recipe that took out the soybean oil and added coconut and palm both at 5%. I also used 100% acv for the water. I am hoping it is just as good as the one Jules described. I would make that one, but I am trying to get away from soy.

My hair feels amazing! I am so glad I didn't have to go through a ton of shampoo bars that were harsh or waxy. I may have given up. But, this one cleans and when my hair is dried, it is so soft! This is saying a lot because I have ¨horse¨ hair. Very coarse and wiry at times...and thick. I use an acv rinse afterwards with it.

So my new routine now is to use my hair mask I make (I only use this once a week), shampoo bar, acv rinse, and then a hair serum I made. I then let my hair dry on its own and then straighten. It straightens so nice now! I then run a few drops of my hair serum through and wow! I am SO happy with this regimen! Thanks to the OP who started me on this journey of a shampoo bar and then inspiring me to make my own hair products.

Forgive the webcame photo hahaha, but wanted you to see the hair.

I'm so glad that one worked out for you! Your hair looks awesome, and with Genny's recipe I did have about a week of adjustment so I am glad to hear the change eliminated that.

I was thinking my next recipe I will switch the soybean with some sunflower or avocado. I think that would be a nice change.

END QUOTE FROM ABOVE

Hi Sozoartisansoaps, I have a question. So, you use ALL Apple Cidar Vinegar in place of the water in making the soap...but then, you still use a ACV Rinse after you wash your hair in the soap? Can you please tell me why you double do this? I mean, I am trying to make things easy and simple, and I have thought of replacing the water in my recipe with ACV as well, so that I would NOT, and I repeat that, so I would NOT have to do that extra step of rinsing with the ACV Later on, after washing my hair with my soap bar. So, now I am left confused, I hate feeling confused because when I get in this place, I will tend to do absolutely nothing. Shucks, that's cause I freeze up and then I do not know what to do. So, can you please help me to UN FREEZE...ha ha...I want to move forward in making my shampoo bar, but if I use the ACV In the soap making process, in place of the water, then I would expect that is all I would have to do. Or, do you recommend that I would still need to add the ACV in a rinse on my hair after shampooing. If you just come back and say that you just do it cause of your own reasons, and that I do not have to do that, I will still feel confused. I just about need to understand WHY you use the ACV as a rinse, since you did place it already in your soap bar. Trust me, I am a gall that moves forward very, very slowly. And I am trying here to not be that way. I just was so confused by your doubling up of your use on the ACV that it did something to my head. So from the bottom of my heart, Please help me understand why you did that. ps, you look fantastic and SO SO BEAUTIFUL!!!!

Replacing the water with acv only increases the superfat, it doesn't lower the PH of the soap or replace the need to rinse with acv after washing.
Personally, I wouldn't use acv when making the soap, the last thing you want in a shampoo bar is extra superfat, it can build up in your hair and make it gunky feeling.
The extra step of rinsing with acv isn't something to be afraid of, it only take a few extra seconds and the scent fades as your hair dries. If you really don't like the smell of vinegar, you can buy citric acid powder and make a rinse with that instead.

Replacing the water with acv only increases the superfat, it doesn't lower the PH of the soap or replace the need to rinse with acv after washing.
Personally, I wouldn't use acv when making the soap, the last thing you want in a shampoo bar is extra superfat, it can build up in your hair and make it gunky feeling.
The extra step of rinsing with acv isn't something to be afraid of, it only take a few extra seconds and the scent fades as your hair dries. If you really don't like the smell of vinegar, you can buy citric acid powder and make a rinse with that instead.

Although if you have hard water a little ACV can help with that. But you need to add extra lye so you don't increase your SF.

Most people who add acv to the soap don't adjust the lye though, they do it because they are wrongly under the impression it will lower the PH. Citric acid is better to add for hard water, also needs lye adjustment.

Sozo isn't "doubling up" on the vinegar, even though it might seem like it. You need to do an acid rinse after shampooing with this type of soap, because there's no vinegar left in the soap. Instead, there's a chemical reaction going on between the vinegar and the lye:

Vinegar (acetic acid) + NaOH => Sodium acetate

Latest posts

Back