Shampoo Bar - Thanks Lindy!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Let us know how you like it. My curls are more defined and the frizz is lessened since using handmade shampoo bars.

I made 2 types of shampoo bar and I like it but I am planning to do another one, I wanted to make a luxury shampoo bar. Anyone have tested recipe that willing to share? I will be pleased and thank you in advance.

I would love to be able to use a shampoo bar, but we have very hard water, and when you combine that with my oily hair ... it doesn't work, vinegar rinse or no. It works OK for my husband here at home (dry-ish hair & skin) and he says it works great when he's back east in the big city and using city water. But here at home ... for me ... :(

edited to add: I even made an extra-acidic rinse once by mixing a little citric acid with my vinegar ... still didn't help! What can I say? I was desperate!

acv is awesome! it makes quite a difference in my shampoo bars and liquid shampoo. i don't have to do a vinegar rinse anymore and yet my hair is still manageable. still not as soft as silicone loaded commercial shampoos, but pretty **** good..

i'll say that the effect of acv is more prominent on my liquid version than the bar. beer and acv is my current favorite combo.

Living in London with the most incredible hard water is frustrating. I call my shampoo bars "travelling shampoo" because I can use them everywhere else but home.
I recently bought SLS free liquid shampoo, all natural from my soap ingredients supplier. (I don't know how to do liquid soap so i bought it)
I am using it with no issues with hard water. I need a little conditioner but that's all.
I am puzzled, Does anyone know why the liquid version works well and the shampoo bar is impossible to rinse and would lease soap residue in my hair (like glue)?
I have been using the SLS natural liquid shampoo for 2 weeks, waiting for a massive build up but nope! It's not happening, hair looks and feels good.
Any clues? Thank you.

ImageUploadedBySoap Making1421889400.800367.jpg my Murumuru butter and green tea extract shampoo bar

No, I don't know if a vinegar rinse is really necessary. Honestly the soap works great, I wash maybe once a week and never feel a build up, but my brush says a different story. I was looking to just add a little bit of cleansing in hopes of eliminating that. The lower SF should help too.

Just made it so I will report back in about 5-6 weeks.

Can you share your shampoo recipe?? I do not want to rinse with vinegar, citric acid or anything else. I want to lather up, rinse and get out of the shower. :)

Kathie

A acid rinse really should be used. The alkaline nature of soap will make the cuticle on your hair lift which can cause frizzy, tangled hair. The rinse will help flatten the cuticle back down so the hair isn't so tangled.

It just takes a second and the vinegar smell doesn't stay in your hair. I keep a small bottle of acv in the shower along with a empty yogurt container so I can quickly mix what I need. I used to keep a premixed container of diluted vinegar in the shower but it was too cold to use, I like it warm.

Can you share your shampoo recipe?? I do not want to rinse with vinegar, citric acid or anything else. I want to lather up, rinse and get out of the shower. :)

Kathie

This is what I put together to add slight cleansing to Genny's original recipe:

Avocado oil 30%
Olive oil 35%
Castor 10%
Shea butter 10%
Soybean oil 10%
Coconut oil 5%

3% sf

I used it for the first time this week and I like it, but I am hooked on the apple cider vinegar rinses now and always rinse with it after so I don't know for sure how my hair would act without the rinse yet.

I am using Obsidian shampoo for ever with AC rinse.
People talk about having problems with hair so I washed my hair few times with horsetail shampoo; actually one from Europe and pretty good one. I do not see the difference in my hair. It is the same when I wash with my shampoo bar and use AC rinse as washing with shampoo and using conditioner. I use conditioner anyway

Shampoo Bars and sugar amount

I was wondering what you meant by "Water as percent of oil weight: 35%"?

Such a lovely recipe thank you Jenny! I'm wondering if the 1TBS of sugar is per pound of oils or for the entire batch.

To answer my own question from further reading. Make that 2 tsp ppo. Thanks everyone.

Last edited:
This is what I put together to add slight cleansing to Genny's original recipe:

Avocado oil 30%
Olive oil 35%
Castor 10%
Shea butter 10%
Soybean oil 10%
Coconut oil 5%

3% sf

I used it for the first time this week and I like it, but I am hooked on the apple cider vinegar rinses now and always rinse with it after so I don't know for sure how my hair would act without the rinse yet.

It seems very good recipe

You can use olive oil or avocado instead of soy. If you are in the US, soybean oil is sold as vegetable oil, just check the ingredient list. Personally, I dropped the soy and added in 10% coconut to make the soap a bit more cleansing. I have fine, damaged curly hair and it works well for me.

Genny, I know what I'm going to do tomorrow. :idea: Do you have a suggested replacement for the soybean oil. I don't have that but if it's a must I will get some.
It is so nice of you to share this with us. I've never made a shampoo bar before so I'm so excited to try this. Thank you!

I've never been a fan of CP shampoo bars because immediately they'd leave my hair all dried out & straw-like. So I only used Syndet bars and never looked back.
But a post Lindy made here http://www.soapmakingforum.com/f19/how-basic-shampoo-bar-recipe-30757/ helped me see the error of my ways.

So, I just want to thank Lindy for giving me that "duh" moment so I could create a shampoo bar that I've only used once, but I love it already. I imagine that after some cure time, it's going to feel so much more lovely.
I used it this morning and there was absolutely no "stripping" feel to it & it felt so conditioning that I used it on the rest of my body as well :) My brush went right through my hair and now it feels so silky & smooth.

I'm feeling so good about it, I'm going to share the recipe I created:
Water as percent of oil weight: 35%
Superfat: 6%

Avocado Oil: 30%
Castor Oil: 10%
Olive Oil: 40%
Shea Butter: 10%
Soybean Oil: 10%

I infused chamomile in all my oils, not in the shea though. Plus I use a TBSP of sugar in my water for added bubbles.

For scent, I used Tea Tree EO, Peppermint EO & Lavender EO at a 1:1:1 ratio.

If anyone decides to try it, please let me know how you feel about it.

Genny, I just finished making your recipe for shampoo bars. Or should I say I almost made your recipe. As I finished I was making my notes and I realized I forgot the tbsp of sugar. What should I expect without this ingredient? Just less bubbles? I only made 1 lb which made 6 bars in a mold I have so not a big deal.

I thank you for sharing this recipe with us. We learn so much with the sharing of information that is available here from people like you.

Thanks so much for this! It is amazing and I havent had to wash my hair for a week:D I guess I should today on principle even though it still feels great;) btw I just used canola and it was perfect!

Latest posts

Back