Shampoo Bar - Thanks Lindy!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wow, flavapor, so the batch with ACV's pH actually came back as higher?? I am curious to see what happens over time. Thanks for posting your experiment!

Yes, and I have a haircut apt tomorrow, so I am going to make her inspect my hair and tell me if she sees any noticeable difference in the left to right side. She is always commenting on how shiny and soft my hair is. She knows I use my own stuff.

I so wish I could use these bars on my head. I made a batch last spring using Lindy's recipe and my hair wound up being such a serious rat's nest that no amount of ACV, oil treatments or conditioners could quell the fury for a few months. Now it's a wonderful facial bar.

CC: you need to keep at it at least a couple of weeks. My hair went into shock and was a mess so I went back to my shampoo and hated it. Went back to the bar and experimented with different strengths of acv. I shampoo my hair first, apply the acv mix and leave it in and it's the last bit I rinse.

I have curly hair. What kind of clay would you use and how much? I am so excited to try this.

Ps hi everyone. I'm a newbie soaper and this is my first post

Crey, welcome to the forum! :)

I have curly hair as well, and I added bentonite clay at 1 tsp ppo (per pound of oil) which is supposed to be good for curls. I just made this shampoo bar recipe a couple of weeks ago, so I haven't tried it yet - I want to allow time for it to fully cure so that I can give it the best chance to see if it works for my hair.

Thank you for responding and the ppo def cuz I would never have guessed that. I'm waiting for my oils to come in and I think this might be my first soap mission. My dad can't use most shampoos so it will be awesome to see how is scalp does with this

Went to the hairdresser today and had her inspect. Her comments were that the ACV side was much shinier, I didn't notice it but she said when the light hits it that it is much shinier. My bathroom lighting isn't the greatest and is fluorescent so I didn't notice a difference. She also said the ACV side seemed lighter and cleaner.

I haven't washed my hair since Sunday, and she said the side with just water seemed like it had more product build up and was ready for a wash, which is what I felt too but though it could have been because of the way I wear my hair off to that side. I am going to recheck the ph on Sunday since that's when it will be a week old.

Ok! This will be my weekend HP project, and I would love some imput from those wiser than I.

I have very fine straight hair, with my hyperthyroidism it does sometimes try to fall out. I can get pretty grubby in my job so it needs to clean really well. I do not have hard water, but I do travel a lot and would like a bar that works in a wide range of waters. Especially on ships - they make their water usually by distillation (so would that be soft water?)

I plan to follow the original recipe, with these minor additions, changes or ideas:
- silk in the lye water, along with the sugar
- Rosemary infused OO
- clay - should I add some? I have French green clay or Moroccan red. I was thinking French green clay and then indigo for color.
- sub in 5% coconut oil for extra cleaning? take it out so the soy allotment. Or maybe 10 % so I could add a little salt to compensate for harder water?
- citric acid at trace (1 tsp / lb) to help with hard water and neutralize
- and maybe some powdered nettle added, that's good for hair too

Then rosemary and orange EO

Or am I a crazy newbie who should just stick to the original recipe?

@Seawolfe
i think that's a tad too much of citric acid (1tsp/lb). i remember in another thread (somewhere in the liquid soap sub-forum), DeeAnna explained about citric acid quite at length. if you add too much, you'll risk too much superfatting at the end, coz citric acid eats the lye quite a lot (if i remember correctly). i think we're gonna need DeeAnna again here to explain about this... @DeeAnna, if you're reading this, please come by and shed some light :)

another suggestion would be to up the castor quite a bit. i upped mine to 8% and got great bubbles with my poo bar. i also swapped the water with beer, which i love. and a blend of EOs: lavender, eucalyptus, bergamot, tea tree, peppermint.

Ok! This will be my weekend HP project, and I would love some imput from those wiser than I.

I have very fine straight hair, with my hyperthyroidism it does sometimes try to fall out. I can get pretty grubby in my job so it needs to clean really well. I do not have hard water, but I do travel a lot and would like a bar that works in a wide range of waters. Especially on ships - they make their water usually by distillation (so would that be soft water?)

I plan to follow the original recipe, with these minor additions, changes or ideas:
- silk in the lye water, along with the sugar
- Rosemary infused OO
- clay - should I add some? I have French green clay or Moroccan red. I was thinking French green clay and then indigo for color.
- sub in 5% coconut oil for extra cleaning? take it out so the soy allotment. Or maybe 10 % so I could add a little salt to compensate for harder water?
- citric acid at trace (1 tsp / lb) to help with hard water and neutralize
- and maybe some powdered nettle added, that's good for hair too

Then rosemary and orange EO

Or am I a crazy newbie who should just stick to the original recipe?

Don't add salt unless you are doing an all coconut bar, it inhibits bubbles in oils except for coconut. Coconut oil makes bubbles in anything!

Thanks! Ok Im going to give up on the citric acid idea. Maybe add just 2 tsp of salt to 2 lb bar? Or just leave salt out all together?

I don't think I want to up the castor oil, I'm afraid of it being too sticky? Thats why I was thinking of a little of coconut oil - added cleaning and will compensate for the tiny bit of salt.

Is the green french clay ok do you think at 1 tsp ppo? Im thinking that plus some powdered nettles might give a nice green, and Ill ditch the indigo.

Suggested amount 1 tsp per pound? This girls got curls!
What clay would you recommend for curly hair?

I have fine and thin hair, and I found the recipe to work really well for me hair! I added clay and citric acid to mine at trace after reading through everyone's comments and I really like it. No need to condition or use ACV rinse, and my curls are no longer flat looking!
How much citic acid should one use?

Thank you Genny, Lindy, and all other members for the information in this post. I am trying out my first batch of shampoo bars tonight. Will post my results upon completion. I am using a modified version of Genny's recipe at the beginning of this thread. I subbed cocoa butter for the soybean oil.

Tank

Made mine yesterday. Sub almond oil for the avocado oil. Used citric acid, sugar and rosemary. It's out of the Pringle can and drying a little before cutting.

Because this is a wonderful recipe and all credit goes to Genny and every one posting in this thread, I should put my status report here, even though I did post a thread because I was HP'ing with infused oils and had some questions: http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=42663.

I infused the olive oil in the recipe with rosemary for a month at room temp, and then infused the olive and avocado oils in the recipe with comfrey and nettle leaf powders in a warm bath the night before soaping.

In the lye water I put a blob of tussah silk & 1 T sugar. Water was 35% of oil weight.

At trace I added 1 oz salt in a 2 lb batch. This is to maybe help in hard water and I substituted a little bit if coconut oil for the soy in this recipe to boost cleaning (I get grubby) and to compensate for the salt, the rest of the sub was almond oil.

Avocado Oil (infused with nettle) 30%
Castor Oil 10%
Olive Oil (infused with rosemary and comfrey) 40%
Shea butter 10%
Coconut oil 76 deg 2%
Sweet Almond oil 8%

Superfat was 6%, even though this was HP I did not pick an oil to superfat with.

HP went perfectly, the soap is a pretty mottled green color.

attachment.php

Because I am an impatient weasel I've already tried it (with an ACV rinse) and my hair is shiny and soft, even without a conditioner. Which is strange because I never go without conditioner.
I also dragged my 10lb wonder terrier Max into the bath with me, and shampooed* his doggy smelling pelt up (and an ACV rinse after) He is now sweet smelling and soft and shiny. Oh and his spring itchies went away. So we give this shampoo recipe four paws up.

*my dog does not have any skin sensitivities and I was careful to suds a little and rinse a lot a lot, YMMV on any other dog.

Thank You Seawolfe for sharing your version of Gennys Shampoo Bar.
I have finally got the courage to read all 50 pages of this thread, its taken a while but I have truly enjoyed the read.
I just made Gennys recipe but used 10% sweet almond instead of Soybean.
I checked the vegetable oil in the supermarket (in the UK), most are rapeseed oil and the one that says soy it says [Vegetable Oil (Produced from Genetically Modified Soya), Anti-Foaming Agent E900]
Would you use this oil? or are we better off swapping this oil for Sweet Almond or Sunflower, what is best?
Thanks. Paula

@Seawolfe, thanks for sharing your results, and your recipe too. that is wonderful that Max can share this poo bar as well, with great result that is!

I have a thought on reducing the pH, and hopefully reducing the need of an acid rinse. What if I HP my soap, then after the cook add citric acid? The problems I see here are determining how much acid to add to make it more balanced, and would it reduce the lather of my soap? What do you all think?

Adding citric acid to HP after the cook will do the same as adding it to CP. The lye binds more strongly to citric acid, and so will UNBIND from the fatty acids in order to cozy up to the citric acid, leaving you with a higher superfat and no real change in pH. (This is one thing that LS makers have to watch out for when using citric acid to neutralize the intentionally-lye heavy base. Using more citric acid than excess lye will cause cloudiness from the oils that are un-soaped by the citric acid.)

Back