Shampoo Bar - Thanks Lindy!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, this bar definitely brings out the curls. I have mostly wavy hair with more curls in back and its never looked so good, regular shampoo just makes it frizzy.

If you stick with the shampoo bar, there is a good chance the greasy spot will go away.

I so wish I could use these bars on my head. I made a batch last spring using Lindy's recipe and my hair wound up being such a serious rat's nest that no amount of ACV, oil treatments or conditioners could quell the fury for a few months. Now it's a wonderful facial bar.

Wow, this is an incredibly informative post on shampoo bars! I tried the no poo method with acv rinse almost 2 years ago & it was okay, but, I just couldn't get used to not lathering my hair. So, I hopped back & forth between commercial shampoo & no poo for a while until I started making my own soap & shampoo (happy coincidence!) so I guess I had already sort of gone thru the adjustment period with my hair. I have been using a shampoo bar for at least a year & a half & will not buy a bottle of shampoo again. I've even used "regular" home-made soaps in a pinch without any problem. I'm very interested in all the additives mentioned here (sugar, honey, citric acid, egg yolks, banana mash etc) & have made the recipe, subbing rice bran oil for soybean oil. I also used about 65/35% raw milk & brown ale instead of water & added a tsp each of citric acid & honey. I scented w/cornmint & rosemary eo's & CP'd it. I would have HP'd it, but, the crockpot I bought from the 2nd hand store for soaping quit working after the first use :( I can't wait to try this recipe out & try some more of the additives in some more recipes!

Just made my first ever soap batch using this recipe (more or less) and decided to go CPOP rather than HP as I'd originally intended. The bars are ugly....I infused the OO with rosemary and used hemp oil and sunflower with no soy so I was pretty much stuck with green. I did try adding some black color swirls with a color bar but the soap wasn't hot enough to thoroughly melt the color so I've got little black specs throughout. Other than that though (being ugly) it came out GREAT and smells divine (Herbal Essence dupe fragrance from Brambleberry)!

I washed my hands with a bit of shavings and it lathers beautifully, feels decadently creamy, and rinses clean. I'll wait a bit to use it because it's rather soft, but I wanted to thank you (Genny) once again for posting this recipe, and all that have contributed as well.

I still can't believe I actually MADE SOAP!! I made quite a mess as well, but I learned from it and hope to get a handle on the process so the process itself and cleanup is a bit more pleasurable next time ;) At least the end product was successful...I have this recipe, this board, and all the fine folks here that share the knowledge with the rest of us to thank for that....so, thank you!

ImageUploadedBySoap Making1390673052.031994.jpg

This is an amazing thread!

I'd like to make a shampoo bar of my own once I get a couple other soaps under my belt... But I'm having trouble figuring out what oils to use. I really would like to stick to oils that I either already have, or have ordered and are on their way. What I have are coconut (which most say not to use!), canola, soy (liquid), EVOO, a little container of avocado, jojoba, and castor.

Other additives that I want to use are marshmallow root, chamomile, lemon, calendula, honey, and citric acid (with a corresponding adjustment to the lye to balance it out).

I have long blonde hair that I'd like to lighten up a bit and bring out the natural red highlights. It's also dry, a mass of tangles, easily gets static-y, a bit frizzly, and the underside can be curly while the top tends more towards waves than curls. I've already started rinsing with an acidic rinse (switching off between lemon and ACV), using less shampoo, and doing twice-weekly overnight coconut oil treatments. These have helped some with my hair (it's never been quite this curly before!), but I'd like to improve it more and get away from the harsh shampoos I've been buying at the same time.

I also have liquid rock coming out of my tap. I hate it, but there's no changing it. That's the logic behind the addition of citric acid-to act as a chelator to counteract the hard water.

Thanks for the help! :)

Just curious has anyone added silk into their shampoo bar recipe? I keep seeing fellow soapers adding silk into their lye water and thought it might be something to try out.

This is a formula for soap-shampoo seborrheic dermatitis
Coconut oil 425 gr
olive oil (oleate neem) 70 gr
grapeseed oil 85 gr
Rhassoul clay 20 gr
soda 112 distilled wáter 208
Bergamot essential oil 16 g
citronella essential oil 8 gr
rosemary essential oil 8 g
peppermint essential oil 8 gr
incense tincture 2 g

I made this recipe right after the thread started and almost quit thru the adjustment period, but I stuck with it. I subbed flat beer to squeeze out a few more bubbles and beer is supposed to be good for your hair, well the bar is tiny now but **** its lasted forever!

I do need the ACV rinse but I love the shampoo bars. Now, I have made and tried a one bar batch of 100% coconut oil with a 20% superfat and I like it even better! The high superfat makes it a moisturizing bar. I have thick hair just past my shoulder and I get keratin treatments once a year because I have curly hair and I am in straight mode these days. My hair is super soft and shiny and I always get compliments on it.

I stlll need a vinegar rinse, but I have been reading about some using ACV as the liquid in the bars to bring ph down and the bars are coming out fine, so that's on my agenda this weekend. I am going to hp the bar and add some goodies at the end. I am going to put some nettle and rosemary ground up to a powder with the cook, (I did that in the orig bar and you cant even see it, just tiny speckles) and I am going to add some wheat protein, argon oil as an additive after the cook, maybe at 1-2% unless I sub a part of my 20% superfat for it, haven't made up my mind yet, and I think I am also going to add a bit of dimethicone after the cook for anti static.

I am going to see if the ACV in the bar makes it un necessary to use the ACV rinse. People are saying the ph of the finished bar is at about 7 after a week. Our hair is a perfect ph of 5.5 so that is much closer to normal than a 9 or 10 ph of regular soap. Has anyone tried this?

Very curious to hear the results of using ACV as part of the liquid. I bet DeeAnna has some scientific insight if she chimes in on this thread.

I use, in descending order, olive, avocado, apricot kernel, castor, shea, babassu, jojoba, argan, broccoli seed, wheat germ. I usually replace the water with botanical-infused beer, and last batches have been marshmallow-infused olive. I also love DL Panthenol, clay, silk amino acids and honeyquat. Still experimenting with ingredients, there are sooo many I want to add. It's complicated to make, and needs a very long cure, but I totally love the stuff. I usually pour it in a column mold or use individual silicone molds because they're a more comfortable and long-lasting size for me.

Very curious to hear the results of using ACV as part of the liquid. I bet DeeAnna has some scientific insight if she chimes in on this thread.......

Yes please let us know how they turn out. I'd planned to try this and was told it would make the soap a gooey mess and no longer 'soap'. I've only got one batch (this recipe more or less) under my belt and don't need THAT much of a fail to discourage me ....yet ;)

You will LOVE it. Silk is amazing. It is great on hair and skin. Here's my shampoo bar. Lots of silk in there.

Interesting. Shouldn't vinegar being acid cause and nutralizing effect in lye...being a base? That can be a tricky thing.

1391907608916.jpg

Yes, the vinegar will neutralize part of the lye effectively raising the superfat. It won't lower the PH enough to make a difference to hair, better off to stick with AV rinse.

Going to make Genny's shampoo tomorrow, its the first time I have made something outside of the soap making recipes I have in my book, just curious since I HPCP if I need to do anything different at all? Everything I have run through SoapCalc from my book recipes seem to be a bit off (haven't figured out her water/sf obviously) so I just thought I would double check. Nervous Nelly over here...

Heres the update to my experiment on the ACV.
I made two one pound batches and I added a lot of additives that were good for hair. I did these hp because I was told the panthanol would not make I thru the sap process.

These were side by side batches

I used 100% coconut oil with a 20 % superfat. I added 15 oz of the oil to the crock with a 38% water in one and vinegar in the other. I reserved 1 oz of coconut as a SF. I also added 1 tsp sod. lactate to each to keep it moving.

I had also added one tsp of both rosemary and nettle ground into powders so my bars are green.
First, I had to stick blend to hell and back to get trace on both. They both turned an orange than brown right before my eyes within a minute.

Secondly the ACV separated after about 10 mins and I stick blended again and it stayed blended from then on.

I cooked for an hour and 15 mins, added the SF after one hour along with a tsp of each jojoba and dimethicone.

Once it cooled to 170 I added my FO and stirred, then added a tsp of polyquat 7 and also a tsp of argon oil, stirred again. I did all this crazy stuff cause I was looking up optimal temps etc..

Now I waited till it cooled to about 125, I was supposed to let it cool to under 110 but that just wasn't gonna happen and I don't recommend doing the wait on temp cause it started to dry up and get crumbly while still in the pot, so this is the only different part of the recipes.

The ACV is the one that was crumbly. So at 125 I added a half oz of water that had 25g of dl-panthanol dissolved in it, and 1/2 oz of wheat protein, both of which may or may not have been eaten up by the temp, which is 110 on the wheat protein and I think 120ish on the panthanol.

I plopped the bars in the single cavity molds and like I said it was crumbly, so once it was all in I pressed it down firmly and then let it sit, it was hard almost immediately, but looked like it would fall apart when unmolded so I wet my hand with distilled water and basically ran dribbles over the bar and that bonded all my crumbles but it still looks rustic although very shiny.

On the plain water bar, I added just like above but added the wheat and panthenol at about 155 degrees. I was able to pour this mixture into the molds but it still has rustic tops but not crumbly looking.

Today I ph checked them and this is the weird part.

The ph of ACV is 9.3
The ph of water is 8.9

I used one on each side of my hair, the one with the water felt less dry and brittle in the shower but I could tell that both needed the ACV rinse, so I did rinse. I never blow dry my hair so I am sitting here waiting for it to dry and will report back later if I notice any difference in the two sides.

I am going to recheck the ph of both bars again next week and see if they mellow at all.
Also.. the ACV bar does not smell at all like acv and didn't smell any different than the water bar while cooking.

The water bar had slightly more lather but both had ALOT of lather, moreso than any other bar I have used and almost as much as a surfactant shampoo.

Hope this helps someone

Thanks for that flavapor, very interesting stuff. Anxious to hear the results (hair test) and ph after a bit of time.

Thanks for that flavapor, very interesting stuff. Anxious to hear the results (hair test) and ph after a bit of time.

I left it to air dry like I always do, just because I am blow dryer challenged. I do flat iron my hair, so I flat ironed it with no product. I can not really feel or see that big of a difference.

Both sides are shiny, no fly aways, and both are very soft/silky feeling. I think the one with the water seems a bit silkier and the with the vinegar seems like each hair strand is thicker, other than that, if you were here right now you would not be able to tell I didn't wash my entire head with the same product.

I will post if the ph changes and I will wash side by side again.

wow, flavapor, so the batch with ACV's pH actually came back as higher?? I am curious to see what happens over time. Thanks for posting your experiment!

The scent of vinegar disabates when hair drys...but a vinegar rinse only has about 1/2 cup of vinegar to a quart of water. So its like non-existant in smell.

I know Peepla but I wanted to be able to sell these bars and a lot of people just wont use the vinegar rinse and I don't feel like explaining how to find and make a citric acid rinse. Its easy to tell them to make the vinegar rinse, I use it all the time and love the shine it gives my hair.

I use a stronger solution of vinegar rinse because my hair is coarse, wiry and very thick and it works. I started light then increased the amount of acv until it worked for my hair. My hair is shiny without having to use any product on it. IMO, unbelievable. I also use organic acv and it works better for me than the regular. (Between not having to buy laundry soap, shampoo or conditioner, we've saved a few hundred dollars this past year.

Latest posts

Back