Shampoo Bar - Thanks Lindy!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lindy, is there any way you can make a decent shampoo bar without soybean oil? Also, what are some substitutes for avocado oil????

Lindy, is there any way you can make a decent shampoo bar without soybean oil? Also, what are some substitutes for avocado oil????

I use soybean oil mostly as a filler. So you can leave it out. As for substitutions for avocado oil, I've never subbed it (I love avocado). But I'd think any high conditioning oil could be subbed.

I tried the recipe last week. Currently leaving it to cure. I wonder how it will feel for me. I have no soy oil so I replaced it with Camellia oil.

Do you guys think that a safflower oil, high oleic is a good substitution for a soybean oil?
How much of tea tree EO per 1 pound of soap should I add?

thanks, Basia

Last edited:
I had to sub out avocado oil because I didn't have any and was too impatient to wait for some to come in. Almond was the closest I had on had. I did use soy, I have PLENTY of it on hand and am trying to use it up so I use it in almost every batch right now. I love my shampoo, I can't say that often enough. I had been spending big bucks on shampoo and it was not giving me the results I wanted. I cannot say that now with this recipe.

Kansas Farm Girl that is just so fabulous! I can't say how glad I am that people are realizing that a shampoo doesn't have to be a syndet bar to work and that you don't need an ACV rinse when using a CP shampoo bar.... :clap:

I did use the ACV at first, but didn't like that so quit and use a conditioner I make and the curls are coming back, the bounce is back, no friz.. At this rate I will have nice hair again. The bars I made before that I got the recipes from somewhere, and I don't remember where, I didn't like the results of. But this one is a keeper.

How many of you HP'd this? I can't decide if I want to CP or HP, but am anxious to try it so I may just HP the first batch. I think someone mentioned their CP batch ended up better in the long run, but I'm not 100% sure if I remembered correctly.

How many of you HP'd this? I can't decide if I want to CP or HP, but am anxious to try it so I may just HP the first batch. I think someone mentioned their CP batch ended up better in the long run, but I'm not 100% sure if I remembered correctly.

I have HP'ed it & CP'ed it. Both turned out the same for me.

Okay...my first batch is in the oven "gelling". I CP'd it, but may make another batch tomorrow using HP. In an effort to use up many of my "1 oz'ers", I used the OMH from Southern Garden Scents as the fragrance, but I think the next one will be essential oils only.

Made this recipe about 6 weeks ago and tried it for the first time this week. At first i couldnt even run my hands through my wet hair because it was so thick or something, so i grabbed some acv that happened to be nearby and did a rinse with it (all still in the shower). My hair was soooo soft once it dried, but it did look a bit more oily. The next day I left it as is and my hair was definitely dirtier feeling and looking than usual. I normally wash every other day, as I have fine hair that looks disgusting if i do it less often. I used it again today and it seemed even worse. The difference was that the first time i let it air dry and didnt touch it, and today I blow dried and tried to style it for church. I ended up throwing my hair up because it was too oily looking. I love the softness, but of course not the oiliness. Is there a period of time where it detoxes, or is that not very common with this recipe? Does anyone have an idea what contributes the softness...and what might be the oily culprit? I would love to use this recipe as a jumping off point for one specifically for my hair...but im not sure which direction to go.

I can share what I have experienced myself - I also have fine hair that I wash every other day. There is definitely an adjustment period when you start to use a shampoo bar. I don't know why - it may be a kind of detox or at the very least a clarifying effect. So for some people it takes a couple of weeks or several washes before they know for sure how their hair is going to be with the bars. You may also have to tweak the recipe for your hair. I did. I had been making a shampoo bar (I posted the recipe near the beginning of this forum) that I was pretty happy with - equal parts castor, coconut, avocado, and olive with just a small amount of jojoba - but after seeing Genny's recipe and reading about her good results I decided to experiment to see if I could do better than my original bar - mainly because she said she was not having to use the vinegar rinse. The batch I made with no coconut oil was just not cleansing enough for my hair so I decided to add it back, but less than my original. I read something someone said about using tallow in shampoo which sounded good to me, and I knew I liked the avocado, knew I liked the bubbles from the castor, and knew I needed a little bit of coconut so I went from there. I put in a small amount of Shea butter for conditioning, cut back on the castor (from my original) and made it with beer (lots of bubbles) and I added Rosemary essential oil which I LOVE. My hair has never looked better. I really had forgotten that I had natural waves - haven't seen them in years and years. I don't have to use the vinegar rinse now (but do sometimes for the shine) - I towel dry, spray on a few squirts of spray gel, and either air dry or blow dry on low. I am not having to use hot rollers or a curling iron except when I let it air dry I do usually have to do something with the front part (side bangs).

In your case, you might be like me and need just a little bit of coconut oil to make sure you don't have the oiliness, but it may just be that your hair hasn't adjusted yet. Don't give up! It's so worth it when you find what works. :)

I also have fine hair & wash every 4 days. Genny's recipe is wonderful - absolutely love it. Thank you so much, Genny! The only change I made was to use goat milk. And stuck it in the refrigerator after the pour (because of the sugar and milk). Used NG's Orchid Rain. It's important to really rinse well down to the scalp. Haven't had to use the apple cider rinse or any conditioner (which was always needed before). There may just a few tangles when brushing, but not many. Blow dries great. Kisses to you, Genny.....

Ive heard great things about rosemary essential oil is shampoo bars, but unfortunately it darkens hair. Mine is blondish, so i didnt want that happening. Thanks for all the advice though :thumbup:

I can share what I have experienced myself - I also have fine hair that I wash every other day. There is definitely an adjustment period when you start to use a shampoo bar. I don't know why - it may be a kind of detox or at the very least a clarifying effect. So for some people it takes a couple of weeks or several washes before they know for sure how their hair is going to be with the bars. You may also have to tweak the recipe for your hair. I did. I had been making a shampoo bar (I posted the recipe near the beginning of this forum) that I was pretty happy with - equal parts castor, coconut, avocado, and olive with just a small amount of jojoba - but after seeing Genny's recipe and reading about her good results I decided to experiment to see if I could do better than my original bar - mainly because she said she was not having to use the vinegar rinse. The batch I made with no coconut oil was just not cleansing enough for my hair so I decided to add it back, but less than my original. I read something someone said about using tallow in shampoo which sounded good to me, and I knew I liked the avocado, knew I liked the bubbles from the castor, and knew I needed a little bit of coconut so I went from there. I put in a small amount of Shea butter for conditioning, cut back on the castor (from my original) and made it with beer (lots of bubbles) and I added Rosemary essential oil which I LOVE. My hair has never looked better. I really had forgotten that I had natural waves - haven't seen them in years and years. I don't have to use the vinegar rinse now (but do sometimes for the shine) - I towel dry, spray on a few squirts of spray gel, and either air dry or blow dry on low. I am not having to use hot rollers or a curling iron except when I let it air dry I do usually have to do something with the front part (side bangs).

In your case, you might be like me and need just a little bit of coconut oil to make sure you don't have the oiliness, but it may just be that your hair hasn't adjusted yet. Don't give up! It's so worth it when you find what works. :)

Back