Shampoo Bar - Thanks Lindy!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My husband and I use shampoo bars.. mine is drying to me but I just use conditioner after shampooing and it’s perfect . He has oilier hair and it’s great-he loves it. I just made a big batch but I am anxious to try yours. (Mine used Tallow and I’d like to not have to use it) Then maybe my girls would try it. Thank you. I’ll let you know.
Kim.

I sow this post and because of it my question coming .
in this recipe chamomile is infused in oils . and because this process takes at least 3 weeks (as I had read ) i start to wondering can i use chamomile extract , and how.

I sow this post and because of it my question coming .
in this recipe chamomile is infused in oils . and because this process takes at least 3 weeks (as I had read ) i start to wondering can i use chamomile extract , and how.

Hi Alex- if you don't want to make an oil infusion, you can always make a 'tea infusion' instead, which you can then use as part or all of your water amount for your batch of soap. The tea infusion takes only 8 hours of steeping (instead of 3 weeks for an oil infusion). I found the steeping directions for it over on the WSP site in their Q/A section regarding their powdered chamomile extract. Their directions say to use a ratio of 2 cups of boiling water per 3 tablespoons of the powdered chamomile extract, cover, and let steep for 8 hours.

If you're going to use it as your lye water, I would strain it after steeping and refrigerate it to get it cold before adding the lye.

Or you can mix your lye with an equal amount of water in weight, and then to your batter add the tea infusion as your remaining amount of water that's needed.

Here are some other sites I found with instructions of how to add powdered chamomile extract to soap:

https://botaniesoap.com/soapmaking-supplies/herbs-dry/herbs-chamomile-powder.html

http://www.lovinsoap.com/2015/07/chamomile-yarrow-herb-soap/

IrishLass :)

I've never been a fan of CP shampoo bars because immediately they'd leave my hair all dried out & straw-like. So I only used Syndet bars and never looked back.
But a post Lindy made here http://www.soapmakingforum.com/f19/how-basic-shampoo-bar-recipe-30757/ helped me see the error of my ways.

So, I just want to thank Lindy for giving me that "duh" moment so I could create a shampoo bar that I've only used once, but I love it already. I imagine that after some cure time, it's going to feel so much more lovely.
I used it this morning and there was absolutely no "stripping" feel to it & it felt so conditioning that I used it on the rest of my body as well :) My brush went right through my hair and now it feels so silky & smooth.

I'm feeling so good about it, I'm going to share the recipe I created:
Water as percent of oil weight: 35%
Superfat: 6%

Avocado Oil: 30%
Castor Oil: 10%
Olive Oil: 40%
Shea Butter: 10%
Soybean Oil: 10%

I infused chamomile in all my oils, not in the shea though. Plus I use a TBSP of sugar in my water for added bubbles.

For scent, I used Tea Tree EO, Peppermint EO & Lavender EO at a 1:1:1 ratio.

If anyone decides to try it, please let me know how you feel about it.

I'm still relatively new to soaping, I've wanted to make shampoo bars as well but ones I've bought leave my hair dry or a film on it. I work with weights not percentage (I'm horrible at math) so when I figure this out I'm going to try it.

Hi Alex- if you don't want to make an oil infusion, you can always make a 'tea infusion' instead, which you can then use as part or all of your water amount for your batch of soap. The tea infusion takes only 8 hours of steeping (instead of 3 weeks for an oil infusion). I found the steeping directions for it over on the WSP site in their Q/A section regarding their powdered chamomile extract. Their directions say to use a ratio of 2 cups of boiling water per 3 tablespoons of the powdered chamomile extract, cover, and let steep for 8 hours.

If you're going to use it as your lye water, I would strain it after steeping and refrigerate it to get it cold before adding the lye.

Or you can mix your lye with an equal amount of water in weight, and then to your batter add the tea infusion as your remaining amount of water that's needed.

Here are some other sites I found with instructions of how to add powdered chamomile extract to soap:

https://botaniesoap.com/soapmaking-supplies/herbs-dry/herbs-chamomile-powder.html

http://www.lovinsoap.com/2015/07/chamomile-yarrow-herb-soap/

Many thanks your answer was very helpful !

Could someone post the actual recipe as the orginal http://www.soapmakingforum.com/f19/how-basic-shampoo-bar-recipe-30757/ with the recipe doesn't exist? I am new to making shampoo bars and my shampoo bars have been a flop. Can someone post a recipe for a dumb head like me? Thanks!

It's on the very first page/first post of this thread.

I'm still relatively new to soaping, I've wanted to make shampoo bars as well but ones I've bought leave my hair dry or a film on it. I work with weights not percentage (I'm horrible at math) so when I figure this out I'm going to try it.

You really need to make soap by percentages. Using a soap calculator makes it easy. Also be sure to measure in grams.....more accurate especially when first making small batches as a beginner. I make large batches and still weigh in grams for accuracy.

Could someone post the actual recipe as the orginal http://www.soapmakingforum.com/f19/how-basic-shampoo-bar-recipe-30757/ with the recipe doesn't exist? I am new to making shampoo bars and my shampoo bars have been a flop. Can someone post a recipe for a dumb head like me? Thanks!

Welcome, CartecayFarm! :) I just went in and fixed the broken link (it works now), but for what it's worth, Lindy's post in the linked thread that Genny referred to in her opening post does not contain Lindy's shampoo bar recipe.....it only includes Lindy's advice to not use coconut oil in a shampoo bar. Lindy has actually never posted her shampoo bar recipe on the forum, and whenever she was asked, she was always very adamant about not doing so since its a best-selling item in her line of handmade products. She was, however always generous with giving advice/tips on what types of oils to use or to avoid when formulating a good shampoo bar, and also what kinds of additives are good to include.

Here are some of Lindy's posts where she gives advice/tips on making a good shampoo bar:

https://www.soapmakingforum.com/thr...de-shampoo-and-other-stuff.28892/#post-272818

https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/making-shampoo-bar-soap.28884/#post-272807

https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/making-shampoo-bar-soap.28884/#post-272914

HTH!

Thank you for your warm welcome. Do I understand that there is no lye in the shampoo bar? I make goat's milk soap and sell a lot of it but have not been successful in making shampoo, it leaves my hair heavy and dry feeling.

Thank you for your warm welcome. Do I understand that there is no lye in the shampoo bar? I make goat's milk soap and sell a lot of it but have not been successful in making shampoo, it leaves my hair heavy and dry feeling.

shampoo bars are made with lye but like other lye soap, none remains after saponification if it was formulated properly.

Most people can't use lye soap on their hair. Generally leaves it dry, coated and eventually damaged to the point of needing to cut all off.

I used shampoo bars for two years, thought my hair was fine until it suddenly started snapping off in big chunks. I had to shave it all off.

So what is the answer to making shampoo, with lye or without? I am more confused than ever!

The shampoo bar recipes that are included in this particular thread all use lye as the catalyst for making the soap, but as Obsidian pointed out, once the chemical reaction of saponification is complete, there is no more raw lye present (it has all been reacted with the oils to form soap, if properly made).

There is another way to make shampoo bars, though, that doesn't rely on lye, but synthetic detergents instead, such as SLS or SLES or Cocoa Betaine, etc.....

Kim Pyrros would you post the original recipe so we can compare you rendition to the original and give us ideas of how to modify our own please? The link doesn't go to the original recipe Lindy shared. I've made syndet bars and love them so would love to try a CP shampoo bar.

Kim Pyrros would you post the original recipe so we can compare you rendition to the original and give us ideas of how to modify our own please? The link doesn't go to the original recipe Lindy shared. I've made syndet bars and love them so would love to try a CP shampoo bar.

According to a previous post you've made CP shampoo....Back in October/lost the recipe to make again.
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/shampoo-bar-thanks-lindy.30946/page-40

CP shampoo bars are a totally different animal from syndet......Much harsher on the hair.

The link doesn't go to the original recipe Lindy shared.

As explained in post #808 of this thread, Lindy never shared her shampoo bar recipe at any time on the forum. Lots of tips- yes- but never her recipe (it was one of her biggest sellers).

The link that Genny supplied in her opening post simply brings you to a thread where Genny had read a post by Lindy that helped her (Genny), in her own words, "to see the error of my ways".

Lindy's specific post in the linked thread that Genny refers to has having helped her to see the error of her ways is post #4, where Lindy simply cautioned against using coconut oil in a shampoo bar. The fact that that's the post Genny is referring to in her opening post in this thread becomes clear when you read post #5 (written by Genny) in the linked thread.

Hope that clears up any confusion to anyone hoping to find Lindy's recipe. Trust me, you won't find it. :shakinghead:

shampoo bars are made with lye but like other lye soap, none remains after saponification if it was formulated properly.

Most people can't use lye soap on their hair. Generally leaves it dry, coated and eventually damaged to the point of needing to cut all off.

I used shampoo bars for two years, thought my hair was fine until it suddenly started snapping off in big chunks. I had to shave it all off.

This is terrifying!
Totally makes me rethink trying out shampoo bars!

Yes it is and I'm not the only one its happened to. Its just not worth it in my opinion unless you have a pixie.

This is terrifying!
Totally makes me rethink trying out shampoo bars!
Many soapers make and use lye-based shampoo bars and lye-based liquid shampoo. Myself included. It's important to rinse thoroughly after shampooing, with increasingly cool water until it's as cold as you can stand it. Follow up with a vinegar rinse to restore the acid mantle of the scalp. When I first tried a shampoo bar in 2004 it took about a year for my hair to get used to it. I even went back to OTC shampoo a few times during that year. This is typical of other soapers' experience as well. Once my hair adjusted, I've used whatever bar that we happened to be test driving in the shower without any negative effects. I now make and use my own Flaxseed Shampoo and just love the results. I don't even need conditioner. ;)

Read more about the benefits of Shampoo Bars on the Chagrin Valley Site. Links:

Why Use A Natural Shampoo Bar?

Everything About Shampoo Bars

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back