Shampoo bar questions?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is this something she gets from the doctor? Would you mind posting either a link to it online somewhere, or a picture of the ingredient list on the bottle? I'd like to see if it would be possible for you to make it at home and make it better/cheaper than wherever you're getting it now. I hate it when people make an inferior product and then charge an arm and a leg for it because they know people don't have a choice.

I wish my hair grew that long. It grows to my waist and that's it. I lost the gene pool lottery and got my grandmother's genes. She was wearing a wig already in her early 30's. Very thin, very fine, and only grows so long. I have to take care of what hair I have because I don't have much of it.

I have never had split ends that I recall. If I ever did, it was probably back in high school when I had a perm. I actually had thick hair back then.

If you're going to insist on using soap on your hair, at least you're using the ACV rinse. I still don't like the idea of having to fix what soap does to your hair every time you wash it, but I don't think I'm going to change your mind.

I will ask her for a bottle, or 2. These are OTC products. We can't afford to use the prescription ones the doctor recommends - way too expensive to play "Let's see if this one works".

I get the thick hair from my father and maternal Grandmother. She had long wavy red hair, red red. She didn't like women with long hair, said it pulled the face down. The splits ends happen when wear is done to the tip of the hair. It could be bad brushing habits, letting the hair hag down on clothing that is abrasive, or just because it has been there for 5 to 10 years. Mine was due to bad brushing habits, which I have corrected. The wear and tear from life is not much, as I wear it roped up on my head. This last batch went from 1" long all over to it's current length of 39" in 5 years. I can grow hair, and was donating it to Pantene for wigs.

Our water is on the acidic side, it will eat through copper pipes in 15 to 20 years. We have a water softener that takes out the worst of it, maybe that is why the bars don't eat up the hair.

OK, so when? 4 years later my hair is much thicker and quiet nice. No more excess dandruff and the greasiness is gone.
You may be one of the lucky few. I used a bar shampoo for about 2 hrs and I was so impressed I used it on my son’s hair too. This yr I noticed both our hair was breaking easily and has become uneven. Since stopping and changing back to liquid shampoo this has stopped, but it still has to grow out 😔 I was very disappointed

You may be one of the lucky few. I used a bar shampoo for about 2 hrs and I was so impressed I used it on my son’s hair too. This yr I noticed both our hair was breaking easily and has become uneven. Since stopping and changing back to liquid shampoo this has stopped, but it still has to grow out 😔 I was very disappointed
That is most people's experience with soap-as-shampoo. That's why I am so careful to keep the pH of my homemade shampoo low enough for hair.

I can sit on my hair, it is that long. I got it trimmed back when I started with the shampoo bar. My hair is not showing any damage to it except for slight split ends. I know I superfatted the soap, and I use an ACV rinse. This could be the discerning factor.
Out of curiosity, how often do you wash your hair? My daughter recently went from 33" (which she could tuck into her pants) to 18". She only washed her hair every 3rd day or so, as in addition to being very long it is also very thick and sturdy hair. Some people do tolerate using soap on their hair, and washing it less may even be to its benefit. I'm glad you have something that is working for you.

Out of curiosity, how often do you wash your hair? My daughter recently went from 33" (which she could tuck into her pants) to 18". She only washed her hair every 3rd day or so, as in addition to being very long it is also very thick and sturdy hair. Some people do tolerate using soap on their hair, and washing it less may even be to its benefit. I'm glad you have something that is working for you.

I wash it once a week on average. I don't get the hair slicks of oil like I do from commercial shampoos. If I have worked out on my Trike, then it is every 3 days, because of sweat.

Latest posts

Back