shampoo bar not working!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
this is what I do. I take all of my scraps and put them in the crock pot. Cover them with a good bit of water and cook it on low till it melts. Then I let it sit for a couple of days. If it is too thick add more water, too thin more soap/scraps. For me it works great and I don't have to re-batch my scraps. I take the same "shampoo" and put it in the liquid soap dispensers. It give a nice lather and leave my hair feeling nice.

I have very, very straight hair that is pretty fine--it's to the middle of my back. I have very hard water, as well. I can't use my shampoo bars regularly as the buildup is just too much, even with the ACV rinse. I do make a shampoo though that is castile soap based with green tea, wheat protein, lactic acid, EO's, and a preservative (glyceryl monocaprylate). That works pretty well... I do have to use a clarifying shampoo once a week or so though because our water is just so hard.

My customers love my shampoo, so I'm confident that in places with water not quite as hard, it's fantastic.

I am going to be formulating another shampoo version that is more of a compromise between the thinner natural shampoo and a "commercial" shampoo using Cocamidopropyl Betaine and Decyl Glucoside (both naturally derived semi-synthetics).

I believe the natural shampoos and the shampoo bars do take some getting used to--whether it is the hair alone, one's conditioning for lots of bubbles and a squeak clean, or a combination of. :)

Latest posts

Back