SFIC is discontinuing all soap bases with soy & using oat protein instead?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

urchin

Reaction score
I have celiac disease and can't use a product with oat protein.

soap goods just told me they can't fill my order because they are out of stock of all the sfic natural bases that contained soy because "SFIC has discontinued the Soy Protein bases" ... AND they only told me this AFTER i ordered last week and got the wrong order at my door today. there site shows all the sfic bases in stock ... really ticks me off!

what are those of us that can't use oat or wheat protein in our soap bases to do?

can someone recommend a high quality 'natural', sls, detergent free, gluten free, soap base? also, the site to purchase it at.

i've been trying to get a soap base order done after three weeks of researching ingredients and i am back to square one and really bummed.

btw i love the forum and am so glad to have it as a resource ... you guys are great! thanks in advance for any ideas or suggestions.

sharon in florida

i just emailed sfic to see what they have to say and will post their answer.

i asked if they have a sls, detergent, gluten, free melt and pour soap base.

i've been reading such great things about the sfic natural soap base and am so bummed i won't be able to try it.

Detergent free soap bases are the only ones I buy and care about. You could checkout this site and browse their detergent free bases. I sell some on my site too, but I think you'll have to message me for that.

Last edited:
i've heard good things about essentials by catalina, but haven't used it myself.

here's the response from sfic:

I am so very sorry to hear that you have such problems with soap additives.

Attached are the soap ingredient listings for our melt and pour soap base. It does not look like we are a good fit for you.

Have you tried Cold Process (ours is Hot Process) often there are less ingredients just oils and lye.

Wishing you the best

Jen Ryerson

well i guess i'm going back to researching and reading ingredients. funny how their bases just stopped being natural all of the sudden ... and now to top it off have gluten in them.

there is no might when it comes to celiac disease. it is an autoimmune disease not a choice. i am not going to be bedridden in agonizing pain, and soiling myself, because i 'might' be able to use something with gluten in it.

I hate to ask this, because I am sure you have thought about it, but why not make CP? That way YOU control every ingredient. No worrying about who put what in a soap.

here is one of the mp bases from essentials by catalina: http://www.essentialsbycatalina.com/melt-and-pour-glycerin-soap-base-natural-sls-free.asp

as natural as you can get me thinks. besides the oils, they basically only used glycerin, sorbitol, aloe juice, water, and tocopherol acetate. they also have quite a large selection of bases to choose from.

have you thought about making your own base? this way, you can pick and choose what you want to put into it.

thanks for the link to essentials by catalina seven ... i really appreciate it ... i'll go check it out.

well the reason i don't make my own soap from scratch is because i have multiple sclerosis and a handful of autoimmune diseases and i am disabled. along with the ms brings neuropathy ... i can't use my right hand too well ... and i'm right handed. i like melt and pour soap because it is fun, easy, and relaxing to do. it gives me a hobby that i can actually do all by myself.

i'm not fanatical about the ingredients, but gluten free is a must. i am completely happy with a decent melt and pour soap base. if i can choose a base with the least amount of chemicals that's a bonus. sfic had a great base that i could use without any problems until they switched soy for oat protein.

i just made a lovely soap with goat's milk and honey and i am in love with it ... thanks to this forum and the great recipes and posts.

i wish the essentials by catalina didn't come in twenty pound blocks. it sounds wonderful, but i can't lift twenty pounds ... i'd hurt myself trying to get it in the house and chopped up. lol i'm sure i could get my husband to help, but i'm trying to keep it small where i can do it by myself.

is there a cold process or hot process soap recipe that doesn't need to be blended with a stick blender forever? i did think the other day i may graduate to making my own soap because it seems like a natural progression for a lot of people that get started with melt and pour, but the process seems really physical ... for lack of a better word. i guess i get scared because every time i read a recipe for cp it's always large batches in the large loaf molds. i'm spoiled with the melt and pour because i can do one bar at a time if i want to.

i'll go peruse the other forums. it would be really cool to be able to control everything i put into the soap. it seems like it would get expensive unless you bought large quantities of your oils though.

thanks for all the replies and the ideas.

Um, you have to eat the gluten to have an effect with celiacs - it's an autoimmune intolerance disease of the gut lining. It's extremely unlikely that you are 'allergic' to the gluten in any application outside eating it. You should check with your allergist before hunting for alternatives because it might not be necessary - and a free phone call is easy enough.

That is a perfectly reasonable explanation as to why you don't want to do CP. I truly do hate to hear that, though! I understand the desire(truly it is a need) to have one or two things you can be completely independent on. Very important to have something like that.

I am going to answer your questions from earlier, not trying to push you to make CP, OK? You know what you are capable of far better than me.

1. I soap using the heat transfer method. It means that just as soon as the NaOH is dissolved into the water, I pour it over my solid oils and stick blend to melt the solid oils. I then add that to the liquid oils(with EO added) and stick blend to trace. Since I soap so hot, trace is usually in less than 15 minutes. But, it does not give you time to get fancy swirls and such. And you have to keep an eye on your mold for the first couple of hours to avoid over heating if you insulate to ensure gel.

2. All of my oils(except EOs) are purchased at Walmart or Sam's. I don't sell, so it keeps my cost down by avoiding shipping.

I am wondering if you could arrange to purchase some special order MP from a hand soap maker. I know it is possible to make your own MP, but I think it takes a while. Here is a video on making MP from scratch.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nw4CBN_RC0[/ame]

wow that last comment just made me start weeping. i wish i had never started this thread.

thanks very much susie that was really helpful ... thanks for taking the time. i'm going to read about the heat transfer method that sounds really interesting. the video was really helpful too ... seems like making a soap base is as involved as making a great soap. lol i'd rather shoot for a finished soap than just end up with a base. i'll have to get my stick blender out and see if i can handle it for fifteen minutes. lol thanks again.

i guess i get scared because every time i read a recipe for cp it's always large batches in the large loaf molds. i'm spoiled with the melt and pour because i can do one bar at a time if i want to.

You don't need to make a large batch. I make smaller batches when I'm trying a new recipe. The last batch I did was only 14 oz of oil. The total weight ended up being probably close to 23 (maybe 24) oz after including additives and fragrance. This gives me about 5 or 6 bars. You just want to make sure you have an accurate scale since a small inaccuracy in weight can make quite a bit of difference when working with small amounts.

For molds, you can use small plastic containers which have PP#5 or HDPE 2 on the bottom. These will withstand the heat produced by the saponification process. I also use melt and pour molds for some CP batches but I put them in the frig to prevent gelling. This way the molds don't warp from the heat.

It can get expensive buying oils in smaller amounts but you can easily get started with oils from the grocery to see if you even like making soap from scratch. Olive, coconut, palm (Spectrum brand), sunflower, safflower are all in the cooking aisle. You can also find small bottles of castor oil in the pharmacy area. It is expensive to buy castor in the small bottles but you won't need a lot for a small batch. You also don't have to even use castor; although, I really like it since it helps to stabilize lather, increases bubbles and adds a little creaminess.

Really, the only two oils you'd need would be olive and coconut. However, it does take olive to trace a little longer but it's not too bad with a stick blender. You don't even need to blend until trace. As long as you've blended long enough for the oils to achieve a stable emulsion, you can pour it into a mold and it will saponify. I do suggest you use a little less water and blend at a higher temp to help with a faster emulsification or trace. If you decide you'd like to try this, please let me know and I'll help you with soapcalc so you can calculate the lye amount.

Also, you can order lye online and most (if not all) will be in 2 lb containers. So it shouldn't be too hard to handle the container.

Just ask if you have questions. :grin:

eta: I forgot to mention - since you do MP, then you probably have fragrances and colorants for it. Not all fragrances and colorants which are fine for MP will do well in CP. FOs can cause a batch to accelerate and seize or the fragrance can morph or fade. Colorants may not be stable and you can get some unexpected colors or the color can fade.

Last edited:
I second everything Hazel said. :) There are tons of great video resources out there if you're considering getting into CP. Soaping101 is a great place to start on youtube.

Good luck on finding the right M&P base or joining the CP cult. :)

There are "experts" on this forum that think they know everything. You are going to have to ignore them. I am sure you have run into their kind before. You hang in there, and let us know how it goes, ok?

There sure are. Some are even snippy with people all the time because they have trouble with people that actually know more than they do.

Of course, there are a lot of other nice people like to provide useful information that might save folks a LOT of agony and effort when it's not necessary, which I'm sure that you could appreciate as a nurse. Celiacs is certainly tough to deal with, but as you know, the care for the condition is specific. Hopefully our mutual friend take good care of herself under the advisement of a physician.

Back