Sewable waterproof fabric?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
(I hope I put this in the right section...)

We have a wonderful new guinea pig who loves to be wrapped in a towel and snuggled on your lap....much to our daughter's delight.....until she discovered he could pee right through two layers.

I bought a large thick towel and planned on doubling it up and sandwiching it between 2 layers of fleece to make a lap "pee" pad. I'd like to include a bottom layer of some kind of waterproof, but sewable fabric. To save money, I was looking at shower curtains from amazon (I'd like to make several of these) but not sure how they would work - some are only water resistant.

I need suggestions on the types of fabric to look for - and cheapest source to obtain it. (Oh, yes we looked on Etsy but its costly, plus we have a sewing machine and I have solid basic but solid sewing skills)

Our lonely, pee-ful guinea pig thanks you!

You can indeed sew plastic shower curtains. We had someone sew some adult bibs for my grandmother(she had had a stroke) that used plastic shower curtains for a water proof layer. I have also seen window curtains made for a window over a bathtub made out of shower curtains. They may only last 5-6 years, but they are certainly cheap enough to replace.

I found that it doesn't matter how many layers you have, pigs and bunnies can pee through anything and a water proof layer underneath - the wee runs off and down your leg.
The only way I've found is that you observe what they do before going to pee and get them off your lap quick. Pigs tend to back up before peeing.
I know when bun goes to pee, she starts scratching at the rug, so off back to her rabbit litter tray quick, I've been caught too often with those little critters.

What about making something that you could slide a puppy training pad into? You'd still have to wash it due to the top being soiled but the pad would at least absorb the pee. Just a though as I keep one down for my little girl fur baby and it doesn't drip off when you pick it up. Just a thought.

My guinea pigs always let me know they had to pee, they'd sqeak and scrabble and reverse and then PUDDLE!

Why not just use puppy pads? They absorb fast and have the waterproof backing.

Edit: Left open tabs too long, missed post above me... sooo... I second the puppy pads! Bag of 100 is $23 at walmart, could cut them in half for lap pads, that's a lot of cuddling :)

Last edited:
This company has some really interesting products, I know they are in the UK, but you could browse the product descriptions then find the specific thing that you require and google it to find a U.S. Supplier.

Latest posts

Back