Setting up Soap Maker 3 Pro

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spenny92

Reaction score
I've read the majority of the threads related to SM3 on here, and via Google, and I'm still feeling a bit stuck with setting up Soap Maker 3 Professional. I just got it earlier today, and so far I've managed to input all of my stock and recipes. I'm just worried I've got it wrong, and things will go pear-shaped later on.

What I did was find all of my invoices from orders, input them as if I'd just received them (but changed the order dates correctly), then input all of my recipes that I'd already made. I hoped that would sort out the correct stock figures but the numbers for what I should have left don't seem to be correct. I've read the help manual and can't figure out how to manually adjust the stock level for a particular product?

I'm also horribly confused by the specific gravity field. I've input 1 as the value for everything - I'm sure this is wrong. I weigh and use everything in grams, even liquids.

Any tips on setting up this software would be much appreciated, I want to make sure I get the best use out of it that I can!

I'm not sure that it is going to be the best use of time at the moment - you need to learn to soap rather than worrying about sm3 pro!

As it is, the weight to volume ratio is indeed wrong. You can google each oil that you have to get the specific gravity. For example, water is 1 which means that 1ml = 1g. Olive oil is not 1 and 1ml is lighter than 1g.

Edit to add, this is not general chat at all, so I moved it

Whenever I enter a new supply, I always look up the specific gravity and enter it correctly. It takes a bit of research using the Internet, but you can usually find specific gravity for most raw materials. When entering a recipe, you will need to save it, then you can click the "Make" button and save that batch. Using the "Make" button every time you make a new batch of something will help keep your inventory of supplies straight. Don't forget to include packaging.

Whenever I enter a new supply, I always look up the specific gravity and enter it correctly. It takes a bit of research using the Internet, but you can usually find specific gravity for most raw materials. When entering a recipe, you will need to save it, then you can click the "Make" button and save that batch. Using the "Make" button every time you make a new batch of something will help keep your inventory of supplies straight. Don't forget to include packaging.

The MSDS should have the specific gravity. Not sure if it always does, but it certain sometimes is.

SM3 has the base oil info built into it so you don't have to worry about finding the specific gravity, SAP value, etc. The SG you really need is for the EO's and FO's. Go to each company's web site & find the FO or EO. On that page somewhere you should find a link to the MSDS which will give you it's characteristics. Occasionally I come across a company that doesn't readily supply the MSDS so I have to email them for it. If I absolutely can't find it, I enter 1, knowing the remaining volume will be off when I inventory. This can certainly take a lot of time when setting it up but after that, it gets much easier.

I'm not sure that it is going to be the best use of time at the moment - you need to learn to soap rather than worrying about sm3 pro!

As it is, the weight to volume ratio is indeed wrong. You can google each oil that you have to get the specific gravity. For example, water is 1 which means that 1ml = 1g. Olive oil is not 1 and 1ml is lighter than 1g.

Edit to add, this is not general chat at all, so I moved it

Sorry, I think I posted in the wrong forum as I was posting something else in GC and must have forgotten to switch!

I think it's really good use of my time, actually. I have 2 weeks off work where I've been making a batch of soap every day in the morning, sometimes 2 batches, and then I have the rest of the day where I can't soap as my moulds are being used. So I spend that time reading, researching and planning new recipes and ingredient combinations. This led me on to the SM3 software, and I decided to get it now and get it set up whilst I have the time to do it. I'm not using the software instead of soaping and learning.

Thanks everyone. Looks like my task today is to track down the SG of all of my FOs and EOs - fun fun fun! :crazy:

The other question I had about the software was about the liquid amounts. If I use a liquid which isn't water, do I add that in as an additive? My problem with that is the recipe seems to think I then have, say 200g of water AND 200g of goat's milk, which increases the total recipe weight. Do I just leave it as 200g water and write a note on the recipe to replace the water with GM?

Click on the "Help" button at the top of your supplies window. When the help menu comes up, choose Water--distilled vs tap water. The information for that will give you an idea of how to enter other liquids for use with lye.

I can't stress enough the importance of familiarizing yourself with every tab and screen in SM3. It really makes the program so much easier to use. The Help button in SM3 has a lot of great information. When I first set up my SM3 I made sure to study each page and read every Help topic.

If your recipe calls for 200g of water and you want to sub all of that with an alternative liquid then you need to add 200g of the other liquid on the Additives tab and then click the Adjust Water box.

Back