Setting up an Etsy shop

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
how does one direct traffic towards your etsy shop?? like there are so many out there...what makes people choose a certain one?

Ian, that is the million dollar question! There is no correct answer. There are millions of ways to promote a shop, at etsy, on the web or brick & mortar. They all take either time &/or money. You pick a hanful, try them out & see which best suit your needs, time & financial constraints.

The best place to start (IMHO) is to figure out WHO your customers are & WHERE they get their info.

EX) If your customer base is senior citizens, promoting on my space is probably not going to get you there, etc.

One great thing about Etsy, is, your tag lines, descriptions, show up on Google searches. They must have a Google Bot. I need to get my own site set up, and it's a goal by this mid summer. Man, paying on the average of $120 to $170 per month Etsy fees, ouch. :? I have had suggestions for setting up a web site, any others suggestions? PM me.

Paul :wink:

Etsy's fees are just a drop in the bucket when you figure what your overhead would be if you had a B&M shop or even what it's going to cost you to get traffic directed to your shop if you have an independant website.

Tab, thanks!! I think i am going to pick up some marketing books and stuff before i take it public (in some time...still got alot of time before that happens) but I can learn as much as I can...i actually started a binder with all my info in it so thats good stuff :D...slowly but surely!!

*hijack*

Has anyone noticed and "changes " with Etsy?

IanT- When I opened my shop, I bought I few things from other crafters so I could see how the whole process worked. :) Good Luck!

What type of changes are you refering too Lane?

ETSY changes & tweaks things on a regular basis. The latest change is filtering supplies & vintage out of all the handmade searches & allowing a customer to search by price.

What photo organizer? That must be our Memorial Day gift :lol: .

Things do regularly just POP up. You can generally go to the forums & see people discussing & cussing every new thing that is added, tweaked or changed.

Oooooooooooooooooh Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah! I LOVE the photo organizer! It was NOT there yesterday.

I just found the shop policy page too. It's new as well.

If you open up one of your listings & go to the page w/ your photos, there are little arrows so you can change the order of your photos. very cool!

Oh wow that is so kewl! Thanxs Marr for the site that is awesome for newbies!

Back