Sesame Oil vs. Toasted Sesame Oil for lotion

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoapM0m

Reaction score
Hi there! I just made a great lotion recipe that used a small amount (2oz) of sesame oil. I used some from WSP and I love how the recipe turned out! Unfortunately I only ordered 2oz (why??!!) and now I'd like to make more. Toasted sesame oil is easy to find locally, but that is darker and smellier, yes? I'm assuming it's not a good option?? Anyone know for sure?? Thanks in advance. :)

My friend De is a massage therapist. She once had a customer who insisted on having a massage with toasted sesame oil. De said NEVER AGAIN. The smell was pungent and not in a nice way.

I like toasted sesame oil in stir fry -- just had some tonight as a matter of fact -- but I'd never use it in a lotion due to the odor.

My first thoughts when I saw this title was "Are you crazy?" That said, let me point out the best use for toasted sesame oil: cooking. That stuff is so potent you can nicely season up a big skillet of stir-fry with about a tsp of it. You do NOT want that in your lotion. NOT. EVER. Sesame oil, the untoasted kind, you can use in lotion and I suspect would feel quite nice.

Note- I don't think you're crazy. This is actually a good question, especially if you have never cooked with either oils. I actually recommend trying toasted sesame oil IF you want to try Korean or Chinese foods or food from any culture known for using this oil. Just don't try to cook your entire dish with that oil- again it is POTENT.

Latest posts

Back