sesame oil camouflage!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brandnew

Reaction score
any suggestions to help camouflage the strong scent sesame oil has? Which EO would work the best? Sandalwood?!? Or should I put a bit in a jar and add the EO to it to test?

Doesn't seem to me sesame oil has such a strong scent. Almost anything can camouflage it (talking here about cold pressed sesame oil). I have tried this in a bottle, not for soap.

Unless you're using that cooking oil made from roasted sesame seeds, which has a very strong flavor. In that case, you probably should change the oil not the scent :)

Have you even tried a small batch ? I'm also thinking about olive, coconut, etc. which lose their smell almost completely with soaping.

They sell sesame oil or soap making that is deodorized. I know many places carry it. MMS, Soaper's Choice. You don't want to use the cooking stuff, you cannot override that scent!

Sesame goes well with herb or nut scents. I had made a soap with 15% of the roasted sesame and the smell does fade during the cure; they are about 6wks old now. Freshly unmolded, I could smell them across the room, but now I have to put my nose on it to get the sesame smell. People who like nutty smells or peanut butter will like the smell of a sesame bar. The roased sesame oil also makes them come out with the peanut butter color.

ahhhhhhhhhhhh....didn't know there WERE different kinds! Yes it's the cooking kind!! Thanks ladies!! Used it in a beer, hazelnut,walnut you name it nut oil soap!! Next time will try Rosemary or something like that to use it up!! Thanks again...

you might even look at cooking recipes that use the roasted sesame oil for some inspiration on scents that would compliment it. Unfortunately, the roasted is so aromatic that it dominates the soap so the recipe and fragrance has to be designed around it. It is liken to working with neem oil in that aspect. ITsa great oil though, with high moisturizing properties. When I get it again, I won't make the mistake of picking it up in the asian market... I'll go for deodorized.

I'm afraid if I do that I'll end up smelling like a Chinese dish instead of a rose!!! I'l join you in the deodorized! :lol:

Latest posts

Back