September 2022 SMF Soap Challenge – Hybrid soaps, pouring CP and MP together

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally uploaded my entry. I woke up at 3:30 am last night and thought about how I could have improved upon the execution, all the while suspecting I missed a crucial step or two.

I think a T&S mold would have been more dramatic because I could have had a thicker layer of M&P. I’d have omitted the brown layer entirely—it detracts from the design. And I learned during my second attempt to pour the M&P in the mold and blast it with my hot gun until the surface “skin” remelted and, before it had a chance to harden, pour so that the CP soap could break the surface.

I did not do that for this attempt and really really wish I had to create spikes of fire, rather than “boils” of fire. Oh well. It is just soap and I regret that I feel tired from my obsessive analysis it in the darkness of nighttime when I should have been asleep. 🤣🤣🤣

Last edited:
@angelhaven61 as Relle said, you aren't eligible to join the challenge this month. If you would like to give the technique a try though, you are welcome to post pictures of your soaps in this thread. We'd love to see what you make.
Oh okay. I made some soap. Turned out small not thick. But woks ok.

Attachments

• 20220925_103913.jpg
    20220925_103913.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220925_103906.jpg
    20220925_103906.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
And I learned during my second attempt to pour the M&P in the mold and blast it with my hot gun until the surface “skin” remelted and, before it had a chance to harden, pour so that the CP soap could break the surface.
So I was not the only one struggling to keep the M&P fluid! 😂 I got so frustrated with it at some point that I just plonked it down on the CP batter. I thought it was because my M&P was handmade and honestly a bit old (which is why I was happy about this challenge and the chance to use it up).
I should have thought about my blow torch! Great tip 🤯

@VikingChick Your soap has e me an idea to make a pink and black tiger swirl soap.
So I was not the only one struggling to keep the M&P fluid! 😂 I got so frustrated with it at some point that I just plonked it down on the CP batter. I thought it was because my M&P was handmade and honestly a bit old (which is why I was happy about this challenge and the chance to use it up).
I should have thought about my blow torch! Great tip 🤯
You could even try a hair dryer if you have one handy. I used the hot air gun thingy I use to seal my soaps. I’m curious about the blow torch idea. 😁

I’m going to make my entry again but omit the M&P altogether and just use white soap for the base in a T&S mold. I think it would be a nice fire design. So even though my soap did come out as I had planned it did give me a starting g point for a similar design.

I think this was the toughest challenge yet. Mostly because it depended on an ingredient that I had in limited supply. And I knew if my last attempt failed to wow, I was not going to get another shot.

And making soap this weekend truly helped me move through my grief a little bit. I don’t know that I LOVED the substituting frustration 😂😂 but it did get me out of my own head.

The Entry Thread is now closed. I'll send out a voting link soon. Thanks to all who entered for showing us your beautiful soaps!!

@The_Phoenix thanks for sharing your experience and what you would change next time so we can all learn. Your entry soap already looks awesome to me, but I understand you'll always be critical of your own creation. I'm glad making this soap also distracted you a bit from your worries.

@angelhaven61 Your attempt looks beautiful! I'm sorry you weren't allowed to enter, but on here we're always happy to see the soaps others create! :)

@Serene I'm so sorry to hear about your family emergency. I hope it will soon be resolved

Latest posts

Back