September 2022 SMF Soap Challenge – Hybrid soaps, pouring CP and MP together

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm so sorry your first try didn't work out the way you wanted @dibbles!
I saw that Grace adds salt to her CP in hybrid soaps to make it a bit more dense. Maybe that could also help?

I'm so sorry your first try didn't work out the way you wanted @dibbles!
I saw that Grace adds salt to her CP in hybrid soaps to make it a bit more dense. Maybe that could also help?
I'm not upset about it. The only reason I care is because I don't have much clear MP. If I try again, I learned something from the first attempt.

Please copy & paste the list into a new post, then add your name along with the next appropriate number.

1. The Phoenix - This will be a fun experiment!
2. earlene - a project for my roadtrip! Thank you
3. dibbles - I hope I have some M&P stashed away somewhere.
4. melonpan - I'm finally able to soap again and this looks like a fun project!
5. Serene - I am sure that if I don't have melt and pour Dibbles will encourage me to put an order in. Enabler!!
6. Mobjack - I only just made M&P for the first time this summer, so, sure, why not!
7. Just started. Not sure if can do but sounds interesting. Hopefully have a good pour.

@Mobjack Bay I usually leave my hybrid soaps cure in the same space as my other soaps. I live in the gulf coast, have high humidity, but with the AC running most of the time, have not had Mp sweating issues. Except for some brands of MP, and it seems that if I overheat the MP it tends to happen as well.

Please copy & paste the list into a new post, then add your name along with the next appropriate number.

1. The Phoenix - This will be a fun experiment!
2. earlene - a project for my roadtrip! Thank you
3. dibbles - I hope I have some M&P stashed away somewhere.
4. melonpan - I'm finally able to soap again and this looks like a fun project!
5. Serene - I am sure that if I don't have melt and pour Dibbles will encourage me to put an order in. Enabler!!
6. Mobjack - I only just made M&P for the first time this summer, so, sure, why not!
7. peachymoon - Hoping I have time to give this a try!
8. Nona'sFarm - sounds fun and challenging
9. VikingChick - Hoping inspiration strikes……

I've had a few things going on and I won't be able to soap until tomorrow morning but (fingers crossed!) I should still be able to meet the deadline. I won't look at the entries until after I've made my soap to prevent any soap fright 😂

Relative to the comment above about using salt, I did not add salt to my cp soap, but I did use 40% lye concentration. Since I haven’t tried this technique before, I don’t know if it made a difference.
This just got me thinking, is this to reduce the shrinkage difference between the MP and CP soap?

Made my entry soap today. Barely worked up the motivation or creativity to do it. Work has been extremely stressful, two people very dear to me passed, one of my furry babies has been very sick, still adjusting emotionally to my nest being empty of my daughter’s sparkle, I’m studying for a certification exam that feels like a part-time job, and both of my parents got COVID. Writing all of that out just now felt pretty awful to be honest.

But I made my soap. It’s not the soap i initially intended to make but oh well. I’ll cut and post tomorrow.

Made my entry soap today. Barely worked up the motivation or creativity to do it. Work has been extremely stressful, two people very dear to me passed, one of my furry babies has been very sick, still adjusting emotionally to my nest being empty of my daughter’s sparkle, I’m studying for a certification exam that feels like a part-time job, and both of my parents got COVID. Writing all of that out just now felt pretty awful to be honest.

But I made my soap. It’s not the soap i initially intended to make but oh well. I’ll cut and post tomorrow.
So sorry to hear that things are so rough for you right now. 🙏 Glad you were able to make some soap and hopefully have a few moments of distraction and fun in the midst of all that. And I can't wait to see your soap!

I'm so sorry to hear you're going through so much @The_Phoenix. I wish you strength to get through all this and hope your life will soon turn for the better again❤️ I'm in awe that you were able to make soap dispite all that's happened..

I'm sorry you are having such a hard time. Any one of those things at a time would be plenty to deal with - happening all at once, I admire your strength. I truly hope your burden eases soon.

You are all so kind. Doing something creative gave me a good distraction from everything else.

I just cut the soap and it went so badly that I was cackling madly. You know how sometimes the first bar from the first cut looks “Meh” so you just keep cutting, hoping the next bar will look decent? Yeah, no such luck here. 😂😂

I’ll post it later but only because I need to follow through on my commitment to participate. Or I’ll take one last crack at it. I do have two more days.

Back