September 2022 SMF Soap Challenge – Hybrid soaps, pouring CP and MP together

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was wondering about this too. It looks like the recommended usage rate for mica in M&P is .5 tsp per pound of base, but I'm not sure how transparent it is. Did you try it? FWIW, I used liquid colorants that I bought at a craft store to use when I made soap with my grandson. I let him add the color himself and the green was almost black 🤣 🤣🤣 (he was under 3 at the time). Needless to say, I helped add color to the others, which was what went home with him.
I tried it using mica and it completely lost its transparency. Liquid colorants in soap seem to be gaining popularity. Is glycerine the main ingredient?

Going to hold off on a second go for a few weeks. Need to really think about this one. I was able to salvage the M&P I used for my first go. Think I’ll melt it down and use that to lightly color my next attempt.

I tried it using mica and it completely lost its transparency. Liquid colorants in soap seem to be gaining popularity. Is glycerine the main ingredient?

Going to hold off on a second go for a few weeks. Need to really think about this one. I was able to salvage the M&P I used for my first go. Think I’ll melt it down and use that to lightly color my next attempt.
Good to know, thank you! I only have 1 lb of transparent M&P, so I have to plan carefully as well. I don't plan to order colorants since I really don't use MP base any more, with the exception of making with my grandchildren. They are all very little, and don't really care about the quality of the colors, so I'll just be using the craft store liquid colorant I have. The main ingredient in the ones I have is water. I might try food coloring instead for this like @szaza suggested.

Last edited:
I'm sorry you had a bad experience with mica @The_Phoenix, but also great that you managed to salvage some of your used MP! You don't necessarily need transparency to enter this month, but I can understand your disappointment if you were going for transparent soap.

Maybe also good to point out that you're not obliged to color the MP soap. Color can be really cool in a design, but it's not necessary to enter.

Lastly, MP soap is super easy to color test on, since you can just melt down a tiny bit at a time, color it and see what happens. I strongly recommend doing a color test if you're using a new colorant or if you don't have a lot of experience with MP soap in general. Just to avoid wasting soap 😉

I'm sorry you had a bad experience with mica @The_Phoenix, but also great that you managed to salvage some of your used MP! You don't necessarily need transparency to enter this month, but I can understand your disappointment if you were going for transparent soap.

Maybe also good to point out that you're not obliged to color the MP soap. Color can be really cool in a design, but it's not necessary to enter.

Lastly, MP soap is super easy to color test on, since you can just melt down a tiny bit at a time, color it and see what happens. I strongly recommend doing a color test if you're using a new colorant or if you don't have a lot of experience with MP soap in general. Just to avoid wasting soap 😉
I do think it would be fun to not color the M&P to make use of the transparency. And just rely on the CP for color and just use the M&P as the foundation. We shall see. Or not see, if ya know what I mean. 🤪

I do like how forgiving M&P is. Imagine if life were like M&P: just melt down your mistakes and start from scratch!

From Grace to You is one of my favorites. She is so creative and sharing!

Please copy & paste the list into a new post, then add your name along with the next appropriate number.

1. The Phoenix - This will be a fun experiment!
2. earlene - a project for my roadtrip! Thank you
3. dibbles - I hope I have some M&P stashed away somewhere.
4. melonpan - I'm finally able to soap again and this looks like a fun project!
5. Serene - I am sure that if I don't have melt and pour Dibbles will encourage me to put an order in. Enabler!!
6. Mobjack - I only just made M&P for the first time this summer, so, sure, why not!
7. peachymoon - Hoping I have time to give this a try!

I do think it would be fun to not color the M&P to make use of the transparency. And just rely on the CP for color and just use the M&P as the foundation. We shall see. Or not see, if ya know what I mean. 🤪
i picked up what you were dropping down there @The_Phoenix LOL

So I did a hybrid soap once using the Soap Challenge Clubs recipe for my own clear m&p soap. It turned out terrible. So terrible that I will have to bow out of this months challenge. The m&p soap turned out crystal clear as per the challenge, but mixing the two soap types turned out to be a major disaster for me.

Probably will turn out better using premade mp soap, but I really don't want to waste money as soapy stuff is getting really expensive. I probably would have tried it if I didn't already have a major flop...

i picked up what you were dropping down there @The_Phoenix LOL

So I did a hybrid soap once using the Soap Challenge Clubs recipe for my own clear m&p soap. It turned out terrible. So terrible that I will have to bow out of this months challenge. The m&p soap turned out crystal clear as per the challenge, but mixing the two soap types turned out to be a major disaster for me.

Probably will turn out better using premade mp soap, but I really don't want to waste money as soapy stuff is getting really expensive. I probably would have tried it if I didn't already have a major flop...
Sorry to hear you had a bad experience with hybrid soap. I hope you have more success if/when you try again😘

Please copy & paste the list into a new post, then add your name along with the next appropriate number.

5. Serene - I am sure that if I don't have melt and pour Dibbles will encourage me to put an order in. Enabler!!
6. Mobjack - I only just made M&P for the first time this summer, so, sure, why not!
8. Nona'sFarm - sounds fun and challenging

Okay, so how do you cure a hybrid soap? The CP needs to air dry and the MP is going to sweat like crazy in what is currently extremely humid weather in my part of Virginia. I‘m emptying the dehumidifier twice a day which is 2x normal. If moisture builds up on the M&P part of the soap, will it ruin it?

@The_Phoenix can't wait to see it! Love unconventional soap ideas😁

Can anyone answer @Mobjack Bay's question about MP and humidity? I don't live in a humid climate, so don't have much experience with it.

I have the soap covered in plastic wrap but will take a piece out to see what happens. I’ll do anything for the sake of advancing soap science 🤣

ETA: It’s a good thing I checked in on the soap because it was sweating under the plastic wrap. I guess it makes sense because the cp soap is giving off some moisture that had nowhere to go. I left it uncovered for the night with the dehumidifier running nearby. Will report back tomorrow.

update: The uncovered soap is not sweating as of this morning.

Last edited:

8. Nona'sFarm - sounds fun and challenging
9. VikingChick - Hoping inspiration strikes……

Back