Sept 2018 SMF Challenge - Carved Soap Designs!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm so sorry to hear you're having trouble @amd ! I was (am still) also struggling to get nice edges. What helped for me was tracing the edge with a knife and then kind of stabbing the soap from the inside towards the edge of the shape. That way the soap you want to get out will just pop out right until the edge you traced. I'm not the best carver, but i found this really helped to keep the edges a bit better. But maybe you're already doing it this way..?

I just posted my entry, wow, there are some amazing skills in the first two already! Nicely done. Here are the remaining bars that did not make the cut

The black/pink is scented with BRV from Mad Oils. The brown/green is scented with Da Lime in Da Coconut from RE.

This was a really fun challenge! My daughter in law was so inspired she grabbed one of my bars and carved a violin! It's beautiful!

Intaglio3.jpg
Intaglio2.jpg

Had some things going on and this challenge slipped my mind,would still love to try it,so Oct. it is. Can't wait to see everyones work.
Does any one have input on a basil dish soap,my daughters request. Thank you.

@mommycarlson if those are your rejects I can't wait to see your entry!

@szaza thanks for the tip. I'll give that a whirl if I get around to it this week. I need to pour more soap onto old bars to practice, so there's that on top of a full schedule.

Re-edit it was NOT a double
Edit this was a double of my last post

I'm not going to be able to do the challenge. I will post in the gripe or the good news bad news thread.

1. earlene - I've been wanting to try this!
2. SoapAddict415- this looks like fun! But then again, all the challenges look like fun lol.
3. Alzie-oh the possibilities! I'm in!
4. BattleGnome - crossing my fingers that I’ll have time before vacation
5. mommycarlson - just ordered some carving tools!
6. dibbles - time to put on my big girl pants and try this
7. Primrose - not something I've seen before. I'll give it a go
8. Redhead1226 - I bought the tools a year ago and haven't made this yet lol - Thanks for the push!
9. SaltedFig - :)
10. Zanzalawi - tricksy
11. LiLiSoapz- I am going to have somefancy soaps for my initial stash. Wooohoo!
12. amd - I don't really need 10 fingers... do I?
13. SunRiseArts (งツ)ว
14. jcandleattic - maybe I can get THIS one in on time? Only time will tell.. LOL
15. scard- why not!?o_O
16. szaza - let's see what happens! ;)
17. Artemis - Aura (14 yrs) has informed me that I HAVE toparticipate. She insists!

Last edited:
Unfortnately I have to drop out. :( I had an electrical fire over the weekend, (when I was planning this) and it just isn't going to happen. I'm sad... :(

Thank you everyone. Everything and everybody is fine. The electrician came yesterday and fixed the outlet and wiring, the replacement refrigerator will be here on Saturday, and we repaired the flooring under it. Just living out of a cooler for all of our cold food needs. But until this is taken care of, crafty fun will have to wait...

I just posted my entry, wow, there are some amazing skills in the first two already! Nicely done. Here are the remaining bars that did not make the cut

The black/pink is scented with BRV from Mad Oils. The brown/green is scented with Da Lime in Da Coconut from RE.

This was a really fun challenge! My daughter in law was so inspired she grabbed one of my bars and carved a violin! It's beautiful!

View attachment 32202 View attachment 32203
Those really are cool! I love the color combos!.

Thank you everyone. Everything and everybody is fine. The electrician came yesterday and fixed the outlet and wiring, the replacement refrigerator will be here on Saturday, and we repaired the flooring under it. Just living out of a cooler for all of our cold food needs. But until this is taken care of, crafty fun will have to wait...
That's good to hear! Hooray for a new fridge!

@jcandleattic so glad you’re all okay! That really stinks! We were living out of coolers earlier this year, it was nowhere NEAR the fun adventure I tried to make it out to be, that was a hard one to find a silver lining [emoji19] hope you get settled soon

I dunno if I’m going to be able to get this one done, but I’m trying! [emoji50]

After playing around with some ideas, I narrowed down my entry. Each kid had a different idea if which should be entered. Aura liked the orange slice (the very first attempt), Gaius likes the old man, and Pax thought the pumpkin best suited the season. I am partial to the citrus slices, but the rind was too thin and started breaking off.

I had the most fun with the old man, but I think I could do better. If you are interested, Doug Outside has a YouTube tutorial for carving a "5-minute Wizard" from a small piece of wood-- that was my inspiration.

(I am having trouble uploading pics today. The app complains that they are too big.)
IMG_20180926_125634~2.jpeg
IMG_20180926_125627~2.jpeg
IMG_20180926_125621~2.jpeg
IMG_20180926_125616~2.jpeg
IMG_20180926_125609~2.jpeg

Back