Sept 2018 SMF Challenge - Carved Soap Designs!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@SoapAddict415

Oh wow - that would look stunning!

I can imagine it with a Clyde Slide underneath (to get the swirl pattern)
(Then it would be a full Clyde bar :p)
I found it to be inspirational. I've never carved anything before (other than a [emoji884] at Thanksgiving lol) so that would be too ambitious for me but if anyone else wants to try it, I'd love to see it!

I have an idea for a stencil. One YouTube comment I saw compared the method to tagliaonte jewelry, which is the method for making cameos (and I have oval cavity molds).

I have no idea what my base would be though, I have an idea for embeds but that’s a bunch of fuss

1. earlene - I've been wanting to try this!
2. SoapAddict415- this looks like fun! But then again, all the challenges look like fun lol.
3. Alzie-oh the possibilities! I'm in!
4. BattleGnome - crossing my fingers that I’ll have time before vacation
5. mommycarlson - just ordered some carving tools!
6. dibbles - time to put on my big girl pants and try this
7. Primrose - not something I've seen before. I'll give it a go
8. Redhead1226 - I bought the tools a year ago and haven't made this yet lol - Thanks for the push!
9. SaltedFig - :)
10. Zanzalawi - tricksy
11. LiLiSoapz- I am going to have some fancy soaps for my initial stash. Wooohoo!
12. Obsidian- lets see how bad I can do
13. amd - I don't really need 10 fingers... do I?

I may actually have started to try this once, but got side-tracked into something more intricate since I had purchased the tools, and never really did Integlio style carving. I think this is a better way to start with carving tools when one has little to no experience with carving. (Maybe once or twice some wood burning carvings, but not carving per se.)

So now I'm looking at various videos to see how others do it and get a better idea about how to proceed. It's looking like a soap made separately first, then put a thin layer of fresh soap on top, or even dollops of color on top of one color soap after the first one sets up, then a third soap as a final thin top layer might be the way to do. Or maybe a multicolor soap underneath might be good, too, with only the top layer being a single color. We shall see what I decide.

But I want to work on something this week. If I manage to make the soap by Saturday I will take the tools and a few bars along with on our Anniversary trip to Tennessee next week. We will be staying in a remote timeshare with sketchy or no internet access. So when we aren't out and about hiking or day-tripping to Gatlinburg or Nashville, etc. this will give me something to do while relaxing in our unit.

Is this a CO only challenge? Or can it be MP?

Also the sweet cakes link did not work for me. Not sure if it is my laptop.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is this a CO only challenge? Or can it be MP?

Also the sweet cakes link did not work for me. Not sure if it is my laptop.

You can definitely use MP. I've personally never used it so I can't comment on whether it'd impose any challenges in carving. I've heard it cures harder so maybe it'd be more difficult to carve through? Not sure!

Both links seem to be working fine for me on mobile and desktop.

Thanks. I will try again from my desktop.

I have a cool idea that I think will work. Sorry I was so sleepy, I meant CP not CO :confused:

Anyone have recommendations for carving tools? I bought a cheap-o set from Joann’s or Michaels at one point but it was pretty garbage (or my skills were lol) and I tossed it
Good practice for carving an epic pumpkin this year you know LOL

@Deniece the entry thread will be open until the 27th, so you will be able to squeak in under the wire. That will satisfy the one month membership requirement. If you can't manage to get to 50 posts by then, hopefully you will have enough to play in October. The more the merrier!

That sounds like a fun challange but I didn't see the rules,can I get in on it! Deniece

Hi Deniece! As earlene and dibbles said - the rules (on the first page of this thread) say that challenges require at least a 1 month membership to the forum and at least 50 posts.

So you'll be able to reach those guidelines if:

a.) Your post count is 50 by the time you enter the challenge (it's currently 8)
b.) You submit your entry between Sept. 25-27 (the entry thread closes on Sept. 27)

As dibbles said - you're welcome to join the October Challenge instead if you don't meet the requirements for this one. And of course, you're welcome to unofficially enter this challenge by posting your finished soap in this thread as opposed to the official Entry thread. It wouldn't be up for voting but I'm sure everyone would still enjoy seeing your work. :)

Anyone have recommendations for carving tools? I bought a cheap-o set from Joann’s or Michaels at one point but it was pretty garbage (or my skills were lol) and I tossed it
Good practice for carving an epic pumpkin this year you know LOL

Ooooh! I've never looked at your Michael's store before (it's a lot like our Riot Art here ... a bit of everything, lots of cheap but some expensive stuff too).

I think that anything useful for carving soap might be a bit small for carving pumpkins, but you might be able to do both with this little $9.29 carving set - I was given something similar years ago and they work alright on wood and soap, so they should do pumpkins :D. They'll need an occasional sharpen (which is easy enough to do with a bit of oiled emery paper) and because they are made of mild steel they'll need a wipe down before you put them away, otherwise they can rust.

1. earlene - I've been wanting to try this!
2. SoapAddict415- this looks like fun! But then again, all the challenges look like fun lol.
3. Alzie-oh the possibilities! I'm in!
4. BattleGnome - crossing my fingers that I’ll have time before vacation
5. mommycarlson - just ordered some carving tools!
6. dibbles - time to put on my big girl pants and try this
7. Primrose - not something I've seen before. I'll give it a go
8. Redhead1226 - I bought the tools a year ago and haven't made this yet lol - Thanks for the push!
9. SaltedFig - :)
10. Zanzalawi - tricksy
11. LiLiSoapz- I am going to have some fancy soaps for my initial stash. Wooohoo!
12. Obsidian- lets see how bad I can do
13. SunRiseArts (งツ)ว

Latest posts

Back