Sept 2018 SMF Challenge - Carved Soap Designs!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's a great idea!! I don't know if I'll make more soap but that would have been the way to go!
It was the tutorial that is linked in the first post in this thread. I'm not sure if I will get that complicated with the multiple bottom colors like she did.

1. earlene - I've been wanting to try this!
2. SoapAddict415- this looks like fun! But then again, all the challenges look like fun lol.
3. Alzie-oh the possibilities! I'm in!
4. BattleGnome - crossing my fingers that I’ll have time before vacation
5. mommycarlson - just ordered some carving tools!
6. dibbles - time to put on my big girl pants and try this
7. Primrose - not something I've seen before. I'll give it a go
8. Redhead1226 - I bought the tools a year ago and haven't made this yet lol - Thanks for the push!
9. SaltedFig - :)
10. Zanzalawi - tricksy
11. LiLiSoapz- I am going to have some fancy soaps for my initial stash. Wooohoo!
12. Obsidian- lets see how bad I can do
13. amd - I don't really need 10 fingers... do I?
14. SunRiseArts (งツ)ว
15. jcandleattic - maybe I can get THIS one in on time? Only time will tell.. LOL
16. TeresaGG I hope to get something I can enter.

You know, I watched that but it didn't occur to me lol. I was more focused on Clyde Yoshida's video oh well it's ok! There's always next time!

I only have time for one try at this as we will be traveling. I used a slow moving lard recipe and added a moderately accelerating FO to each layer before I poured. My unfragranced batter stayed fluid and the layer I poured set up quickly enough to support the next layer. I did have to cut a bit off my top layer - it was too thick. So yes - you want your layers that will be carved to be pretty thin.

2. SoapAddict415- this looks like fun! But then again, all the challenges look like fun lol.
8. Redhead1226 - I bought the tools a year ago and haven't made this yet lol - Thanks for the push!
10. Zanzalawi - tricksy
11. LiLiSoapz- I am going to have some fancy soaps for my initial stash. Wooohoo!
14. SunRiseArts (งツ)ว
15. jcandleattic - maybe I can get THIS one in on time? Only time will tell.. LOL
17. scard- why not!?o_O

I got my tools a couple days ago and some clay today so I can sit down later and practice before I start mangling soap. I don't really need soap so I'm only giving this one shot. Probably will make my soap next week.

I don't really need soap so I'm only giving this one shot. Probably will make my soap next week.

I'm playing around with this before committing to entering. I don't need soap either, so I took some older bars and poured a thin layer of new soap over them.

I didn't. It was a hot summer day and the bar I chose was a little tacky. I might try that the next time, though. No trouble sticking so far.

The hard bar under the softer soap made it easier, I think, to not cut down through the base layer.

My dad helped me with some basic woodcutting this weekend, so now I HAVE to participate, right?!:p let the adventure begin!:D

10. Zanzalawi - tricksy
11. LiLiSoapz- I am going to have somefancy soaps for my initial stash. Wooohoo!
14. SunRiseArts (งツ)ว
17. scard- why not!?o_O
18. szaza - let's see what happens! ;)

I have to withdraw, I just have too much going on right now to worry about soap

10. Zanzalawi - tricksy
11. LiLiSoapz- I am going to have somefancy soaps for my initial stash. Wooohoo!
12. amd - I don't really need 10 fingers... do I?
13. SunRiseArts (งツ)ว
14. jcandleattic - maybe I can get THIS one in on time? Only time will tell.. LOL
15. TeresaGG I hope to get something I can enter.
16. scard- why not!?o_O
17. szaza - let's see what happens! ;)

Lovely soaps, mommycarlson & SunRiseArts. Very nice, indeed.

I finally got around to making the base soap, but haven't added the thin layer for carving yet. I realized that in my conversion calculations for the new mold I am using, I left out a multiplier and ended up with way more soap than I planned. Luckily I realized this beforehand and did not have to do any scrambling for molds. It's an enormous (to me) mold, meant for 3 logs thick, which are then to be cut into logs. My original plan was to make it only an inch or so thick using it as a slab, but in my muddled mind I left out part of the formula for converting ounces to grams and now have 3 times as much soap as planned.

Anyway, I got to use my new log splitter and it works just great, and cleans up easily, too. After splitting logs and slicing them into thinner strips (lenthwise), I wrapped them in plastic wrap to prevent them from drying out before I do the top layer. I'll do that tomorrow, as with Hubby home, we have travel stuff we've been working on.

And the smell of Dragon's Blood as I walk past the stacks of soap logs is just heavenly for me.

10. Zanzalawi - tricksy
12. amd - I don't really need 10 fingers... do I?
13. SunRiseArts (งツ)ว
14. jcandleattic - maybe I can get THIS one in on time? Only time will tell.. LOL
15. TeresaGG I hope to get something I can enter.
16. scard- why not!?o_O
17. szaza - let's see what happens! ;)
18. Artemis - Aura (14 yrs) has informed me that I HAVE to participate. She insists!

Last edited by a moderator:
Pax decided this soap carving business looked like fun!
IMG_20180923_205653.jpeg
1537750842340.jpeg

This is taking way longer than I thought.. spent 3 hours on one bar yesterday. 3 more to go before they harden out too much! :hairpulling:
But it's an awful lot of fun too! :D

Ugh. I am not getting a handle on this challenge. I find pictures (because I can't draw well enough to make something of my own) but then find that they are really complicated, or too simplistic for my rough skills. Simplicity has it's place, but must be well done. Looking at the first entry in the thread... that is an excellent example of simplicity well done. My cuts are choppy and sloppy, and lose shape when I try to clean them up. I've massacred two poor bars of soap just practicing - I haven't even tried a "real" entry. I'm going to try right up to the deadline, but soap carving may not be my skill set.

Latest posts

Back