Sept 2018 SMF Challenge - Carved Soap Designs!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whoops, let's not leave out amd. ;)

1. earlene - I've been wanting to try this!
2. SoapAddict415- this looks like fun! But then again, all the challenges look like fun lol.
3. Alzie-oh the possibilities! I'm in!
4. BattleGnome - crossing my fingers that I’ll have time before vacation
5. mommycarlson - just ordered some carving tools!
6. dibbles - time to put on my big girl pants and try this
7. Primrose - not something I've seen before. I'll give it a go
8. Redhead1226 - I bought the tools a year ago and haven't made this yet lol - Thanks for the push!
9. SaltedFig - :)
10. Zanzalawi - tricksy
11. LiLiSoapz- I am going to have some fancy soaps for my initial stash. Wooohoo!
12. Obsidian- lets see how bad I can do
13. amd - I don't really need 10 fingers... do I?
14. SunRiseArts (งツ)ว

2. SoapAddict415- this looks like fun! But then again, all the challenges look like fun lol.
8. Redhead1226 - I bought the tools a year ago and haven't made this yet lol - Thanks for the push!
10. Zanzalawi - tricksy
11. I am going to have some fancy soaps for my initial stash. Wooohoo!

Obsidian - is this positive thinking???? :rolleyes:

I bought some carving tools from Amazon to use for carving and molding soap dough. It is inexpensive and worked well. Not the highest quality, but being new to this, I didn't want to invest huge amounts of money without knowing if this kind of work isn't my cup of tea. So far, I am happy with it. I really like that it comes with it's own little bag for keeping all the tools in when not in use. There are surely other tools you might find that fit your needs or desires better, but this is what I got:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07568JP5B/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought some carving tools from Amazon to use for carving and molding soap dough. It is inexpensive and worked well. Not the highest quality, but being new to this, I didn't want to invest huge amounts of money without knowing if this kind of work isn't my cup of tea. So far, I am happy with it. I really like that it comes with it's own little bag for keeping all the tools in when not in use. There are surely other tools you might find that fit your needs or desires better, but this is what I got:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07568JP5B/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Nice find! That's quite a bit of variety to play with.

Last edited by a moderator:
I decided not to order any tools since I am traveling during the last half of the month and needed to get my attempt done and photographed before I go. So what I am using is a clean up tool I got from BB a long time ago and really never used. I almost tossed it when I got a beveler/planer. I've tried carving with it and, while not ideal, it works. Just thought I'd mention it in case anyone else has one of these collecting dust and needs something to try carving with. https://www.brambleberry.com/Clean-Up-Tool-P4758.aspx

I really wasn't expecting to find the carving process enjoyable, but I like it far more than I thought I would.

Last edited:
I've got soaps to test my carving on and a couple of tools from the soap dough challenge what I can't seem to get is my hiney over to the library to print out my template pics! If WiFi wasn't so expensive, I'd get a tablet or something and ink for my printer! Although, knowing me, lol I'd watch YouTube soap videos on it and I still wouldn't get anything printed lol!

Soooooo, I carved a few slab mold soaps, it was super fun! So I made a special batch. I got the top layer way too thick, it's a pretty big excavation to get to the colors below! I made another batch this morning, hopefully I've gotten the top layer thin enough that I don't need a back hoe to get down to the swirls! LOL Here is a picture of my practice carvings on some soap I just had laying around :) Just in case you were wondering, the second one is a tree. It looks more like a claw! LOL
IMG_20180908_165155520 (1).jpg

Ok I just passed 50 posts. I'm not sure if I should try a challenge soap as my first attempt at cold process. I also don't have any M&P supplies or enough in my budget to get any.

Ok I just passed 50 posts. I'm not sure if I should try a challenge soap as my first attempt at cold process. I also don't have any M&P supplies or enough in my budget to get any.

What a bold step into CP soapmaking - I reckon go for it!

(The upside of this challenge - any unsightly bits can be carved away, like you meant it :D)

Mommycarlson, I really like it! It has like a 70s vibe.

I too have been playing with this. This is an MP, I call it roaring waters. I did use the help of a mold. Smells soooooo good.

My eyes are old. Now that I can see it on the screen, I realize I need to clean it better. Sorry!

Carved roarong waters  (3).JPG

Aargh.. I've been drooling over some of the carved soaps from the Amy Warden challenge for a while and I'd love to try! (I'm not in any illusion I'm able to create anything as stunning as the carved tiger soap, but it seems like a fun technique) My mind the past few days has been something like this: OOOH I want to do that! - Oh come on, you're not experienced enough - but I want to try it!! - you don't even have any kind of tools or anything - but but but I REALLY want to try it - and when are you going to do that? You're going to have to do a few practice batches at least - I don't know! I just want to try it - There's a bunch of soap ready to be rebatched in the basement, are you sure it's a good idea to make more ugly try out batches? - but I just want to try it *puppy eyes*.
I feel like I'm my own parent taking myself to the candy shop.

Nice work so far @mommycarlson and @SunRiseArts!

The nice thing about this challenge is the capacity to experiment with carving while still having many 'backup' bars if you don't like the first carving. It definitely takes some practice to create a design you're happy with!

@TeresaGG - do it! Make a small batch and give it a go. The key components are: pouring a base layer and allowing it to harden, then pouring a VERY THIN second layer on top. Then it's just a matter of playing with carving your bars! :)

Thank you [emoji5] I also want to stress thin top layer. My newest batch still requires major excavation to get to the under layer. Sigh.

10. Zanzalawi - tricksy
11. LiLiSoapz- I am going to have some fancy soaps for my initial stash. Wooohoo!
13. amd - I don't really need 10 fingers... do I?
14. SunRiseArts (งツ)ว
15. jcandleattic - maybe I can get THIS one in on time? Only time will tell.. LOL

Thank you [emoji5] I also want to stress thin top layer. My newest batch still requires major excavation to get to the under layer. Sigh.
I saw a tutorial where it was a thin bottom layer that you let Harden. Then pour the rest on top. That way you are carving into a very flat surface that is the bottom of your soap.

Latest posts

Back