Separating polysorbate 20!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shound

Reaction score
I’m at my wits end.
I used to use peg 40 to emulsify my oils, I’ve recently switched to polysorbate 20.

recipie for fragrance spray.

5% fragrance oil,
1% veg glycerine,
Polysorbate 20,
Toped up to 1litre with water.

mom having massive problems with either the oil separating to the top, or something separating and falling to a later at the bottom!

I have tried the following rations 1:1, 2:1, 3:1 and now trying 4 parts polysorbate 20 to one part oil, but I don’t seem to have success keeping emulsification.

can anyone give me some tips for using it?
Should it be hot, cold, before adding water, after?
I’m feeling really overwhelmed and frustrated!

Hopefully there’s an angel here who can help

I kinda hate to tell you this, but here goes -- I've had far better luck using polysorbate 80 rather than PS20 for anything I want to solubilize.

I know "they say" to use PS20 for products like this where there's a lot of water soluble liquid and little fat-soluble stuff. But no matter what, I've had consistently dismal results with PS20.

Even with PS80, I expect to use multiple times the amount of PS80 in proportion to the fat soluble ingredients. As in ratios of 6:1 to 8:1 and even higher. It varies with the combination of ingredients, so it's hard to give an exact ratio.

When solubilizing a new product, I usually start out with 1:1 or 2:1, but I don't realistically expect to see results until the ratio gets to 4:1 and higher. It's just that I could be wrong, so I start low just in case.

I kinda hate to tell you this, but here goes -- I've had far better luck using polysorbate 80 rather than PS20 for anything I want to solubilize.

I know "they say" to use PS20 for products like this where there's a lot of water soluble liquid and little fat-soluble stuff. But no matter what, I've had consistently dismal results with PS20.

Even with PS80, I expect to use multiple times the amount of PS80 in proportion to the fat soluble ingredients. As in ratios of 6:1 to 8:1 and even higher. It varies with the combination of ingredients, so it's hard to give an exact ratio.

When solubilizing a new product, I usually start out with 1:1 or 2:1, but I don't realistically expect to see results until the ratio gets to 4:1 and higher. It's just that I could be wrong, so I start low just in case.

Looking at a lot of professional products, it seems to be used with sucess, I assumed that their was a knack, or trick to using it, that I was missing!

I'm not sure what professional products you've evaluated, so I can't speak to that. Maybe someone does have a particular technique that works, but I have yet to discover it. ;)

I haven't had much luck with Poly 20 either. The spray I made was fine initially but after a week or so I had to shake before every use -- it was okay, but not pretty (separation). Had better luck with poly 80 as well (although as DeeAnna, I'm always surprised how much of it I need).

I have used Poly 20 in shampoo with good results, but it is made of mostly water soluble ingredients.

Back