Selling uncured soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mare61

Reaction score
I visited a local craft festival today with about 170 vendors. 3 of them sold soap. One lady (which I happen to know) sold castille soap, another one M&P and then there was this guy who had CP soap for sale. Most of it was in uncut logs. The whole set-up looked very much like "Bargain-Shopping" (very messy). Most of the logs also had a lot of ash. When I picked up a cut slice I noticed how soft it was. When I asked him about it he told me I had to let it cure for 3-4 weeks. Now why would I buy soap, that I would have to let sit somewhere for that amount of time. By then I would have probably forgotten, that I had bought some soap anyway. It really got me that we are so worried about letting the soap cure, so it would be ready to sell and then there are people like this vendor. I checked out their website and even on there they mention that they cut the soap right before they sell it and that the customer has to wait 4 weeks before they can use it.

Does anybody else on here sell their soap without cure????

nope

others can prioritize as they will - quality is at the top of MY list.

Wouldn't sell mine until it is cured. I don't even know if a statement on the label with date of first use listed or something like that would preclude you from getting sued when they take it home and use it, not understanding the need for the cure. Sooooo.....they take it home, forget to wait, it burns because it is lye heavy......could be a suit on that on. I would just love to avoid all of those situations all together. I will sell well cured soaps only.

But, maybe that is just me......

~ear

No way.

That's like selling biscuits that aren't cooked all the way and telling them to be sure to put them in the oven for a few minutes when they get home.

The flip side to that being, I would not mind at all *buying* soap that still needed to cure.

mare61 said:
I visited a local craft festival today with about 170 vendors. 3 of them sold soap. One lady (which I happen to know) sold castille soap, another one M&P and then there was this guy who had CP soap for sale. Most of it was in uncut logs. The whole set-up looked very much like "Bargain-Shopping" (very messy). Most of the logs also had a lot of ash. When I picked up a cut slice I noticed how soft it was. When I asked him about it he told me I had to let it cure for 3-4 weeks. Now why would I buy soap, that I would have to let sit somewhere for that amount of time. By then I would have probably forgotten, that I had bought some soap anyway. It really got me that we are so worried about letting the soap cure, so it would be ready to sell and then there are people like this vendor. I checked out their website and even on there they mention that they cut the soap right before they sell it and that the customer has to wait 4 weeks before they can use it.

Does anybody else on here sell their soap without cure????

Most people don't have the knowledge about soaps that many here do.

Some like me (I don't now) think soap IS soap..I used to think Glycerin was the bee's knee's,always bought them at the grocery store.It was easily found.

Who isn't looking for a bargain these days? If that's how he wanted to market his soap he's free to do it any way he feels fit.
I'd certainly buy a log or two,knowing that it's on ME,if I use it BEFORE it's cured. I'd also buy a few logs if they smelled nice,and if the festival was a once a year event.

He's apparently made it perfectly clear "It needs to cure" You say he also has a website,Seems fine to me in case the soap police or repeat customers want to contact him in the future.

People buy cookie dough and eat it raw,knowing they should cook it first,Nestle hasn't been sued yet..

Munky.

I suppose to the Soaping Puritan, this sort of sale would be blasphemous, lol!
Personally, it's not something I would do, but if a customer wanted that workshop-ish interactive experience of cutting and curing themselves, I wouldn't deny them nor would I appreciate if someone scoffed at me for it.

I agree with Munky's analysis...once the consumer is made aware and is educated as per the best practices of cutting / curing, the experience and onus is on them.

To each his own, methinks... :wink:

I wait a minimum of 4 to 5 weeks before I sell it. On the other hand, I wait a few days to a week before I use my soap on myself. I have an extremely hard bar since my recipe is a 41, and since I'm soaping between 37 to 40% solution anymore and using my KitchenAid stand mixer. I always tongue test for zap too before I use it. By using goat milk, I personally feel the GM naturally lowers the pH faster than no milk CP.
Since I use aloe vera, I feel that contributes to the condition of my soap. I always gel too, and feel that speeds saponification verses ungeled soap. My soap gels easily, and completely, because of the GM and the thickness of my molds.

Annmarie0407 said:
Oh my gosh...I am sooo picky about the way my soaps look and about the time I let them cure. I do not sell them to anyone unless it is 6 weeks.

Nothing wrong with that. 8) Wine, cheese, soap; all get better with age.

Paul

(clears throat) Don't you mean "Nothing wrong with that. Wine, cheese, soap, WOMEN; all get better with age.

ilovedoxies said:
No way.

That's like selling biscuits that aren't cooked all the way and telling them to be sure to put them in the oven for a few minutes when they get home.

Funny, mail order bakeries do, its called par-cooked and is so the product won't be overcooked when the customer reheats it at home.

Plenty of partial and uncompleted items are offered for sell at grocery and craft stores, as long as everything is clearly marked I really don't see any problem with it, it's just like purchasing those tubes of biscuit dough at the groceries.
If it's not clearly marked and instructions aren't provided, then there might be a problem.

Latest posts

Back