Selling to Soon

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Here is a quick example of someone I ran into last night that was selling to soon. I do an art walk every other month that is small. To make a story short I went to the other parking lot to see who was out there and low and behold two more soap makers. Operative word here this is a small Art Walk. Anyhoo I was talking to one of the other soapers out there that knew what she was doing and had a great display. Everything wrapped labeled etc, all cp. The other gal came over checking out the booth and asked how she makes her soap she said she only makes hp since she has no patience to wait to sell. We both looked at each other and told her she still needs to let her soap cure and dry before selling. The answer was oh no it is ready. Okay...This person did not know the difference between cp and hp by looking at it, but she was selling acne curing soap, psorisis curing soaps and a few other magic healing soaps per her signage.
I did not feel sorry for her knowing she would not sell any soap, but I did feel sorry for the experienced girl that got stuck in the area she was in. I was in the main lot with the bands where everyone congregrates.

Ugh, that really sucks. Great example of impatience. I get the wanting to get out there and sell bug because I had it last year but I waited (next weekend is my first show) but now I know I am prepared. If you think HP is sellable after 24 hours you need to go back and learn a little something. Yeah, it is useable but I wouldn't want a customer using a smushy bar of soap because it hasn't properly cured. And the whole medicinal side of the story... Don't even get me started!!

LOL, I am the same way when I see the signs on soaps pertaining to medicinal. Chaps my hide!! Melty soap will not bring back customers! LOL, I have had customers tell me my soaps last to long...they want to try others but want to use what they have!

I have seen soap with ONLY address and phone number on the labels! WHAT?! It angers me! No way I will buy that soap. Actually, I'm scared to buy some of the soap that's being sold - so how can one tell if the seller actually knows what he/she is doing?

I have to admit I was ready to start selling too. Once I started reading threads old and new I realize there is still a lot to learn. I won't even share soap with anyone outside this household until goodness knows when. Maybe I've taken some of what I've read here too literally, but I do know we live in a sue-happy society so I'm a whole lot concerned.

I know this is an older post but I can tell you I have seen a lot of her kind and I know where they are coming from. There is a soap maker that has a huge you tube following and a huge FB page that is teaching people this snake oil sales mentality. She is a HP soap maker that has the most insane medical claims on her soaps online that I have ever seen. She is churning out a whole new community of soap makers with no clue.

I know exactly to whom you are referring. I used to enjoy her videos as pure entertainment but I've gotten so tired of her bad mouthing reputable suppliers and very reputable essential oil suppliers and saying that her preferred company, 'essential depot' (she gets money for this), is better than every other company and not only is her preferred company better, all of the other very reputable companies dilute, tamper with, or aren't selling what they say.... I'm not sure how she can go on in practically every video and say all of these things when they just aren't true. Especially her medical claims. She specifically states she only cures her HP for a week so I'm sure people new to soap making see this and think well, what's a few days less than a week... She told me it's ready right away...

We see this kind of thing frequently on the forums I belong too. It saddens me that people think they are ready to sell after their first batches. And those that make medical claims just make me crazy. I bite my tongue but I'm not going to lie i've started to write an email but stopped myself and just walked away.

that her preferred company, 'essential depot' (she gets money for this), is better than every other company and not only is her preferred company better, all of the other very reputable companies dilute, tamper with, or aren't selling what they say.... I'm not sure how she can go on in practically every video and say all of these things when they just aren't true.

Shaking my head! Essential Depot, eh. The one in FL?? Hmm.

You hit the nail on the head!!! I got banned from her group because I posted in another group about making claims to cure infertility with a bar of soap!! :roll: I never called her out by name. I was concerned over how easily people were falling for her sales pitch and repeating it. She got wind of it and instead of correcting things she banned a bunch of people that were in the thread if they said anything negative. She is the first soap maker that I think the feds need to bust. She got busted last year by the EPA over her dog soap being an insect repellent.

She can do what she wants but the moment she steps into teaching mode she needs to be careful! I can always spot one of her students. They do not know how to calculate any adjustments, want information spoon fed to them, post medical claims, hot process, 1 week cure, selling after the first few batches EVER made. :thumbdown:

I know exactly to whom you are referring. I used to enjoy her videos as pure entertainment but I've gotten so tired of her bad mouthing reputable suppliers and very reputable essential oil suppliers and saying that her preferred company, 'essential depot' (she gets money for this), is better than every other company and not only is her preferred company better, all of the other very reputable companies dilute, tamper with, or aren't selling what they say.... I'm not sure how she can go on in practically every video and say all of these things when they just aren't true. Especially her medical claims. She specifically states she only cures her HP for a week so I'm sure people new to soap making see this and think well, what's a few days less than a week... She told me it's ready right away...

It takes all kinds in business. As long as people aren't negative about one another's products during an event, there are plenty of customers who make purchases for differing reasons.
I've experienced a soap maker boast her EO soap to the moon, and yet speak negative about someone using FO's at that same event "simply rude".
Honesty about our products is essential, along with being considerate of other soap makers. Some people will want fluffy high peaked fancy soap, others will want a rectangle bar that looks nice. Yet if both make the customer happy, there's the key.

When I got back onto soaping I saw this gal you speak of on YouTube, and like someone said I was "entertained".
I was surprised by her claims and even with my relatively good knowledge of EO's, her claims just seamed out there. I even tried a couple of bars, since I had at that point not made or tried any HP soaps.
The soap was nice, yet her female hormone bar had to be thrown out because my husband couldn't stand the smell "maybe it was those female hormone EO's". LOL
All I can say is yes, her claims are like snake oil " and I do believe it's a placebo affect for some users". I will give it to her for being a go getter, networking kind of gal. Her videos are far to long winded for me, yet someone's watching them.
I'm surprised she is actually supported by Essential Depot though. They have things to risk with her claims. Honestly, her video of her washing her daughters puppy just broke my heart for the little guy. Either way, soap with good intentions and give your customers the same treatment that you would want for yourself. Cheers~~

This is my first post...I`ve been lurking ooops LEARNING for years. I was urged to post because I wanted to ask a question and get some opinions.

I see how many of you are down on the "medical claims" that some use as a selling point. I make soap (CP) and I grow a lot of herbs and it`s fun combining the two. I sell my soap but I`m very careful of the words I choose on my labels. I never say my soap may "cure" or "heal" but rather I use words like "may help with". Do any of you think changing the words we use is okay? Or do you think NO healing properties of ANY of these herbs,honey,teas,EO`s etc; can come through the lye?

I think some of the healing properties might come through... but even if they do, it's soap, it only stays on your skin for a few moments and is rinsed right down the drain. I'd rather use expensive essential oils & herbs in body butter, lotion bars, body sprays, massage oils, etc.

I'm gonna wait until I have at least a year of soapmaking under my belt before I start selling. I do give as gifts, though ;) To be honest, I think it's better to give soap away for awhile before selling anyways because that way you have a "fanbase" for when you start selling. Friends and family tell their friends and family about your soap, those friends & family buy the soap and tell their friends and family, etc. :)

And as far as that particular soapmaker goes... yikes.

Last edited:
Well at least I hope some of the properties come through. That`s where I find the most joy in making soap,concocting my own recipes( I always use a Soap Calc).
I have been selling soap about 4 years now,making it for almost six. I put a lot of time into making my soaps safe and my labels informative. I also carry an insurance policy to protect myself. I`m not taking my business lightly.
I`m glad I came upon this thread because I`ve been thinking of doing lotions,herbal salves to utilize my desire in concocting...lol...and when I make soap I`ll just make simple soap,

That would be the one. I do love their stuff but not over and above everyone else. Her soap company is the same name only soap and not depot. :shh:

Oh my, I was looking on her site and checked out her Womens soap. She really needs to clean up her spelling. Advice is spelled advise, thru is spelled threw...I am sure there are many more errors. Watching one of her videos she pointed out she owned a Beauty Shop, but apparently she never learned the difference between cosmetology and aromatherapy. I was a cosmetologest for almost 40 yrs and it did not make me an essential oil espert. Shame on Essential Depot for endorsing her

"She can do what she wants but the moment she steps into teaching mode she needs to be careful! I can always spot one of her students. They do not know how to calculate any adjustments, want information spoon fed to them, post medical claims, hot process, 1 week cure, selling after the first few batches EVER made. "

Have you seen her soap teaching class video? Where she has the students lift their lye/water containers over their heads to check for "floaters". I almost choked.

This is my first post...I`ve been lurking ooops LEARNING for years. I was urged to post because I wanted to ask a question and get some opinions.

I see how many of you are down on the "medical claims" that some use as a selling point. I make soap (CP) and I grow a lot of herbs and it`s fun combining the two. I sell my soap but I`m very careful of the words I choose on my labels. I never say my soap may "cure" or "heal" but rather I use words like "may help with". Do any of you think changing the words we use is okay? Or do you think NO healing properties of ANY of these herbs,honey,teas,EO`s etc; can come through the lye?

If you are labeling your soap as just "SOAP", you can not make any kind of claim other than that it cleans. If you want to to say "helps with", you need to label as a cosmetic.

And you can't make any references to medical conditions like acne, eczema, etc. otherwise it has to be treated as a drug. I think even "may help with" is a medical claim. Feel free to say things like "soothing", "mild", "cleansing", "balancing", "moisturizing", "for combination skin", etc.

And @pamielynn - I winced when I watched that... especially the one guy in the background holding it above his head, by the side (not the handle) of the container, with one hand, yikes!

Last edited:
I know this thread went a bit off track, but it's comforting to know that not everyone thinks that woman is THE voice of soapmaking.

I never had the patience of watching even one video of essential soap to the end. Actually i can almost count on the fingers of one hand those times i actually checked her videos. What I do enjoy a lot on the other hand is : soaping101, (I think soaping 101 is the very BEST) tightly followed by mycherricola ,ariane arsenault and royalty soaps . Soap queen TV i think is ok, just that i do not make melt and pour yet...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back