Selling Soap_making money

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Vicki C Might as well get used to the "New Normal". People will still fill up at the pump even though gas costs more than it did last year. 🤨

No worries! As we all have become aware, as raw material costs increase so must the price of the end product!

My beloved Big Lots coconut oil has shot up to $12 from $10 for 102 ounces. Palm oil and shea butter have gone up too. Sigh.

Here in California, it went from $12 to $15. The jugs are still marked $12 in store, but $15 on the website. When I went in store to buy it, it rang up $15 but since they are still marked $12, that's what I got them for, plus I used a 20% off coupon. I figured I'd better stock up before they change the sticker.

Here in California, it went from $12 to $15. The jugs are still marked $12 in store, but $15 on the website. When I went in store to buy it, it rang up $15 but since they are still marked $12, that's what I got them for, plus I used a 20% off coupon. I figured I'd better stock up before they change the sticker.
Oh that’s good to know. I’ll buy some too.

I am really not sure how anyone can make money selling soap today. It is horrid the direction prices have gone.

For new soap makers it's definitely going to be tough unless a) they have a solid plan and b) can purchase in bulk.

Covid really did a number on the supply chain...I don't think people truly understand where stuff comes, what it takes to get it to them and how delicate the balance of 'farm to table' really is. I figure that it's going to be another year before we find that balance again.

I bought a crap load of supplies about six months after Covid started and because I haven't made a lot of soap since I decided to hold off selling until things started settle down, I'm just now getting to the end of my base ingredients. And now you all are scaring me so I just checked my supplier and...except for Castor Oil which has gone from $26.00 a gallon to $43.00 :eek:, prices aren't too bad. 5lbs Cocoa Butter Natural Wafer was $49.00, it's now $44.00. 5lbs Shea Butter Virgin Non-GMO was $27.00, it's now $30.00. Thankfully I only use Castor Oil at 5%.

Finally got around to spending my $25.00 credit at Elements...it didn't go far with the cost of shipping, but I managed to get 4-1 oz jars of colorants and only pay a few dollars out of pocket. Bought another 5lb liner and some new Mica from Nurture. Gave myself a small budget this month because I had to get the rest of the stuff for the Wedding Soaps (boxes and labels).

I spend somewhere around 30-50% on shipping each month. So I know how you feel. There isn't anywhere in or near Louisiana that would be an easy drive to get anything except coconut oil and olive oil. The closest soaping supply location is 4 hours one way. I don't even know what to say at this point.

The closest soaping supply location is 4 hours one way. I don't even know what to say at this point.
That’s not too bad, just need to plan ahead. Living in the Bakken Oil fields, grocery shopping was six hours round trip. If I wanted more variety, it was 16 hours round trip (only did that once, overnight after that).

My soap supplier is 3 hours round trip from my house or an hour round trip from work so I usually get there when the open in the morning to pick up my order and go into work late (which is not a problem),

Given how much you are spending, I’d say that it’s worth the trip.

Latest posts

Back