Selling rebatch - donate 100% profit

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dawni

Reaction score
Is that ok? Is it something that's done? Assuming people will buy if I say proceeds are going to be donated lol. I've been looking at the rows of rebatch I have n was thinking what to do with them.

There's a volcano that we're all just waiting to erupt. That doesn't sound good but the anticipation is horrible. Plus since the initial ashfall many, many people have been displaced with no sure time frame as to when they can return home. A lot of these people are farmers n fishermen so even if they could go home, who's to know when they can make a proper living again.

Commercial soap would be a much better use of donated cash (I assume they'll be cheaper and definitely less labor intensive), instead of donating these bars themselves. I figure the profits can then go towards buying stuff people can't really donate much of, or forgot. There's already an overload of old clothes, towels, mattresses n things like that.

I don't really waste much soap but I do like planing my soap when, for example I cut too early and the surface is too bumpy. Or my tops are horrible and cute swirls show up after I've cut off the tops. I've not rebatched a whole batch in a while.

Also, how would one compute a price of a rebatched soap bar?

If this should be in another place kindly move it mods, and thanks in advance :) moved

I don't have any advice for you, but prayers!

I'm wondering if it might be better to make your soaps and donate them to food pantries or the Red Cross or something, for people who have lost everything?

I rebatch my soap scraps from beveling into a mechanic's soap (I add an orange FO and add pumice). I've been told by my hubby and the customers who buy it that it's amazing :)
Because I use scraps from my beveled soaps, which I have already accounted for their cost with the original soap, I give my scraps a generic cost of 20 cents (USD) for the batch plus the FO and pumice and then add the retail multiplication (so that I can get paid for my labor too). It winds up being a very modest price for a large bar that lasts a good while.

Now... if you're doing a rebatch of a failed batch, I would definitely keep your cost for the original batch, plus the cost of anything you add to the rebatch (more liquid, new fragrance, etc) and do a slightly higher retail markup to account for the labor of making the original batch + the rebatch labor. My regular retail markup is x4.5 , so I would probably do x4.75 for a rebatch. That's how I would do it... but I only do rebatch for my scraps, so I can't say how well a full batch rebatch would sell.

Thank you @dixiedragon :)
I'm wary of donating to government run groups and/or big NGOs.. Yknow, third world problems like misappropriation n stealing n stuff. I figured I'd give however much it is to the ones I know who personally go to the site to giveaway stuff, and some of them have replied that soap is welcome but they already have a lot, but they lack liquid cash for logistics, emergency money, etc..

I'd actually go if I was able - no kids or elderly to think about.

I was just thinking the animal rescuers need any monetary help they can get as well as the stupid local government of that place announced that the poor things aren't a priority. Pffft..

@amd thank you.. The ones I currently have aren't failed batches, but similar to yours. Scraps from planing and beveling, scrapings from the pot, etc. Since I plan on donating 100% of the sales of these rebatch, I was even thinking to price them at only double the cost of my cheapest bar lol just so I can maximize what I can donate. Does that make sense?

Also, in line with donating.. I was thinking of donating part of they proceeds of my regular bars. Let's say I'm selfish and I still need to make money myself, what's the percentage of profits that's not too bad to donate?

I think you were being tongue-in-cheek, but needing money for yourself is not selfish.

10% is the minimum I see in my area. I'm the US so I don't know if it means anything. Now, me, personally, unless it was something I was already going to buy - I do the math and think, "If I go to this pizza fundraiser and get a $20 pizza, that's $2 to the organization. Do I want that $20 pizza, or can I just give the organization $5 and save myself $15?"

Since I plan on donating 100% of the sales of these rebatch, I was even thinking to price them at only double the cost of my cheapest bar lol just so I can maximize what I can donate. Does that make sense?

Also, in line with donating.. I was thinking of donating part of they proceeds of my regular bars. Let's say I'm selfish and I still need to make money myself, what's the percentage of profits that's not too bad to donate?

It does make sense, to a degree... but not everyone will buy just to donate. In the US (or at least my region) if it costs more than a regular item, they won't buy it just because it's a donation. They'll wonder if it's truly a 100% donation or if you marked up the price to keep the regular price for yourself and donate the overage. Whenever I have done a 100% donation, I have made it a clear "donate $3 and get a free bar of soap" or something like that.

When donating from my regular items (which I do year round to a cancer foundation that 100% gives to the people affected by cancer to support their bills, travel expenses and such) I set it at 10%, that way I still get paid even if I run a sale.

I like your idea about selling the soap and giving proceeds to those in need. Often money is needed to cover items not donated.
My thoughts:
I would sell the rebatched soap for whatever you think is a reasonable sales price for quality homemade soap. If it doesn't look as nice as your other soaps then maybe at a little discount. It is still great soap.

Some of my testers (all are also long time friends) were asking for soap before the holidays. In return I asked for donations for a new women’s shelter in my community. I set the suggested donation at $10 for three bars or $4 each. Almost all of the soap found a new home and more than a few made donations above the suggested level. 100% of the donations went to the shelter.

Latest posts

Back