Selling my products online

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For some reason it comforts me, the idea of someone actually coming over to talk to me, than having a letter randmoly sent that I have no clue how to respond to.

Tab - How did they (or you) arrive at the conclusion you owed them $------ for taxes? One person I know whose door was "knocked" on, put up signs in her neighborhood to advertise a home party where she sold her craft. This drew attention to her home based business and caused her some problem. What is the purpose of a tax id# anyway? Some on-line places accept a ss# in place of it. A local personnel told me I would be surprised at how many home based businesses there are, especially on-line businesses, and nobody even has a permit let alone a tax id#. Go figure!? Frankly, I don't have either right now, and I'm not sure I even want to go there. I am curious,
however.

I keep an invoice book. I added my sales for that year together & multiplies by 8 1/4% which is my states sales tax. They took me at my word & did not ask to see my sales books or bank statements.

A tax ID number benefits you by saving you from having to pay sales tax on your supplies or items you plan to resell.

A tax ID number benefits the govt by requiring & permitting you to collect tax for every item you sell.

When an online shop collects you SS# or your tax ID number, that is supposed to be for their books. Since they are not ccharging you the tax they need to be able to tell the govt they sold it to you so the govt can hold you reliable for the tax. They may or may not turn those figures & numbers in when they file their taxes. The SS # or the tax ID number is just a way for the govt to keep tabs on everything.

You were lucky they didn't hound you further, and took you at your word. Thanks for the crash course on tax id#'s. I know one thing, if I ever do sell, I'm going to research the subject thoroughly. But for now, I'm perfecting my bath salts and bombs. Even these simple things aren't as easy as I thought.
:eek:

Back