Seizure..Observation

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garland68

Reaction score
I just had the pleasure of having my second seize in two weeks. I was using "Under the Stars" first and this one was "Beach Type". Both of those FO's seize!

My oberservation was when I poured in the FO. It is clear in the bottle but the minute it hit the oil and lye it changed to an almost light neon green...Both times the color changed to this Fugly color.

The second time it happend I was ready and went into turbo mode and was able to do my layering...I can work REALLY fast:) But I was unable to do my frosting like top since it got so hard. I hope it turns out OK. At least I got to the mold this time before it started to gell. Yes the first time it happened it was gelling in my pot!

Has any one else noticed this color change.

That's where I got them :-( Where can I get better FO's? I was looking into Save On Scents. Are they any better?

garland68 said:
do you ever have a problem with them behaving badly?

Bearing in mind that I am a newbie, with only 13 batches under my belt, I have had only small issues with ricing using 2 of their FO's.

• Lily of the Valley
    L'Air du Temps

Lily of the Valley turned out perfectly fine. L'Air du Temps had little pockets of FO throughout the batch, so that one, I won't do again.

Outside of that, no other issues. They have the largest selection of FO's I have ever seen!

The term *better* is subjective. In the 7 years I have been making stuff I have ordered from 15+ suppliers & WSP is the best I have found for my line of products. I don't make CP so I have little experience w/ scents in CP. I did go to WSP & read the customer reviews though. On the Beneth the Satrs fo there were (I think) 13 soap reviews & every one was positive. No one mentioned seizures. Only 3 of those specified CP, the others just said soap. There was only 1 soap review on the Beach scent & it was positive but did not say if it was CP or another method.

You can go to the fragrance review board & read about the possibilty of seizures before you buy them. I don't use the board s I don't have that addy. I am sure someone will come by w/ it.

Not every fragrance is going to work in every application. For instance, my FAV Pink Sugar is awesome ineverything but sugar scrubs. It will not last in scrubs, it disappears. My FAV birthday cake smells like burnt plastic in M&P but is awesome in everything else. There is a lot of trial & error. You will find you prefer some scents from 1 supplier while you prefer some scents from another & for different reasons.

garland68 said:
That's where I got them :-( Where can I get better FO's? I was looking into Save On Scents. Are they any better?
WSP oils are GREAT for everything, except CP. Although I do use WSP Lemons and Lav, but I have to work FAST!! I don't think it is a matter of finding "better" oils, but finding more suitable oils for your application...

I have never had a problem with brambleberry oils, ever. But they tend to be a bit spendy. I am also I HUGE fan of Peak's. Right now it is my faaaaav Co. I've never had seizing issues with their oils, but I have had fading issues. (Georgia peach and coconut won't hold in CP worth a hoot! :cry: )

I loooove the variety Save on Scents has to offer, but I had a few of the same problems with CP as I did with WSP.

Back