Seizing and what I did

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billthesoapguy

Reaction score
i have been soaping for a while, and have always used HP when I want to use certain FO’s that seize my CP soap.

a few weeks ago, I decided to try one of the FO that siege within seconds in CP, but to try the CP method with it, and just see hat happens.

short story: it did seize in approx 10 seconds, but after 5-6 minute, it un-seized ( if that is a word) as it heated up....basically going into gel phase. It looked very similar to a typical HP batch....land once it un-seized, I added the reminder of my FO. So far, the soap looks fine, and the FO seemed to stick better than when I do a HP with the same FO.

so, now I am thinking.....does this work for all FO’s that typically seize?
what have others experienced? Any tips regarding FO and seizing?

thanks,
Bill

so, now I am thinking.....does this work for all FO’s that typically seize?
what have others experienced? Any tips regarding FO and seizing?
Not necessarily but can happen with most FO's that seize.
You can also add a couple tablespoons of cold water, that will loosen up the batter (usually) enough to stir the FO in and get it into the mold as well.

It's been recommended on the forum many times to such as Obsidian says above. I was leery of the idea myself until last week when I had a soap go into a fast acceleration (ok, fine it seized. It seized so hard.) and I started to panic, then I remembered reading this tip and gave it a whirl. My smaller portions didn't work as well, but the larger portions worked well enough that I think if I had pre-mixed my colors instead of dumping powder straight in, I would have been able to get the colors fully blended after it started gel. Anyways, I was happy that my soap worked out and the hardest thing I had to do was walk away for 5 minutes.

I have used this method for quite a few yrs and mentioned it several yrs ago but as mentioned not long ago to walk away for 5 min I do not find it always works. I have had to leave the batter for as long as 15-20 min to fully thin out, so I am sure the recipe and temps make a difference. but it does always work.

When I have seize, regardless of what caused it, I wrap the bowl in a towel until it goes into gel. Give it a quick stir and get it in the mold.
Wow ! Learned something new today. So that I get it correct. If a soap seize, I can wrap it up and leave it for a few minutes, then mix and put it in it’s mold.? Would O be able to put in color if it did not get color after the waiting period?

Yep, you leave it until it heats up and gels. For me it usually take 15 minutes or so.
You could stir in a color before molding it up. It would be just like coloring HP.
I always color before adding scent so I've never had to add color after a seize.

Yep, you leave it until it heats up and gels. For me it usually take 15 minutes or so.
You could stir in a color before molding it up. It would be just like coloring HP.
I always color before adding scent so I've never had to add color after a seize.
I had some seizing moments lately. I good to learn new tips

i am assuming this is more eof a CP tyoe of soap, so I am letting it cure for 6-7 weeks....but, should I consider this a Hp soap, and use it after 2-3 weeks? I know the answer....” try and see” 😂. I will, I think.....unless someone has already tried it? I am going to experiment with it tonight, in the laborator 🙃🧐.

i am assuming this is more eof a CP tyoe of soap, so I am letting it cure for 6-7 weeks....but, should I consider this a Hp soap, and use it after 2-3 weeks? I know the answer....” try and see” 😂. I will, I think.....unless someone has already tried it? I am going to experiment with it tonight, in the laborator 🙃🧐.
What @Obsidian said. HP and CP need the same amount of cure, sometimes HP will need a longer cure because most HP soaps are used with more water than CP. And cure is more than just water evaporation. There is a whole chemical crystaline structure change going on within the soap during cure.

Technically after the soap has saponified - CP or HP, it is safe to use, but saponification and cure are two distinct and separate things. (with HP, you are just cooking it through the sapinification period)
This is why there is a misconception of being able to use HP as soon as it's cut. I mean, sure you can, but technically you can also use CP as soon as it's cut too. Neither will be cured.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back