seized the day

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bhendrix

Reaction score
I just had my first seized batch of soap
what do I do with it, throw it away?

I made a perfect batch yesterday, same recipe, added vanilla fo

then today, same recipe, added peachy keen fo

was fine until i poured it into the mold, now it looks like applesauce with oil on top

any ideas

bea

Hi and welcome to SMF. :)

Depends on how much the batch is worth to you and how big it is. If you've got just a couple dollars of oils there you might find it easier to just discard it. But if you've got expensive oils, maybe $10 or $20 or more worth of ingredients then you should probably rebatch. It all depends on what your time and ingredients are worth to you.

If you have the lye amount right then there shouldn't be any reason why you can't rebatch.

Love the title of this thread. :D

I have heard that adding very cold water right away when your soap siezes can help. Thankfully, I have not had to test this out lately. :lol:

Digit

i would have dumped it back into the soap pot, added a small amount of water and hot processed. i've had to do this with a fragrance oil blend that seizes on me every time i make it. now i just hot process it to begin with because no matter how quick i am or think i can be, it beats me to the punch.

but anyways just heat it on low, i do this on the stovetop so i can keep an eye on it. just keep stirring ( bashing or beating it down ) till it all gells back together and then glop it in the mold.

That's a very good idea Barb. I've been faced with the seizing problem myself, I've done rebatching, I've done HP, and if your batch is going to separate in your mold and require rebatching anyway you might as well turn it into a HP job and save the labor of molding your soap twice, plus the labor of shredding it for the rebatch. I'm going to follow your advice next time one of mine seizes, and just pour it into my crock pot instead of pouring it into the mold.

Latest posts

Back