Seized CP

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmmorrow

Reaction score
This is the second seize I've had with a fruity/floral fragrance and not sure what happened. The lye calc timed out on my phone but I wrote down the recipe, although it doesn't have percentages on it. I used the Satsuma fragrance oil by crafters choice. My lye water was at about 108 and my oils at about 110. I prepped all my colors before hand (neon green, neon orange and titanium dioxide all from windy Point soaps). Colors were 1/4 tsp mixed with 2 tbsp of my oils. I brought it to a light trace and measured out 13.3 oz of traced soap in each colorant. Added fragrance oils to each mixture (not going to lie I eyeballed it). By the time I lightly stick blended the last fragrance oil I had solid clumps. This happened to me once before using pacific waters (also a CC FO). My room temp was about 65-68 while soaping. Any idea what went wrong? Just curious as I use pretty much the same recipe in all my other soaps and it works like a gem. With both FO I've had this problem within a minute of adding the FO. Any insight will be greatly appreciated. Hope I added enough info as I'm new to the forum. Pics are of written recipe, both botched batches, and a not so botched batch using basically the same recipe. ImageUploadedBySoap Making1480292096.926106.jpgImageUploadedBySoap Making1480292109.775492.jpgImageUploadedBySoap Making1480292127.604222.jpgImageUploadedBySoap Making1480292143.941182.jpg

An hour and a half later this is what I have
ImageUploadedBySoap Making1480293229.983413.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySoap Making1480292193.630037.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySoap Making1480292193.630037.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 129
I'm thinking you may be over blending. I've used Satsuma with no issues. Florals and water type scents do have a tendency to move fast and I will generally whisk them in without the blender. Also, too much fragrance. I rarely ever exceed 6% which is 1 oz ppo. I only use more in salt bars.

Perfect thank you, I wasn't sure if I could wisk in fragrance and it dispel evenly. Maybe I'll try again at .5 or 1 for the fragrance oil (it just smelled sooo good and I got greedy lol)

So now what do I do with it? Will it solidify and be able to rebatch you think? Or will this lumpy mess be a write off?

Last edited by a moderator:
Obsidian's advice is excellent but since I hate rebatching like a rotted tooth, I usually grate it up and use it in another soap batter as confetti. If you decide to grate, do it as soon as possible. The softer it is, the easier it is to grate. If you have a salad shooter, it's a snap to do. Good luck with the save!

Florals. Seize.

Put the FO in you oils. Pulse once or twice and check by stirring.
Be ready to mold should that favorite scent accelerate.
Do NOT run your SB. ONLY pulse.
It's much easier to put the SB back in and hit pulse one more time than, well you already know.
Florals can be absolutely wonderful to work with but they don't like to be over stimulated.

Wanna know how I learned?:mrgreen::sick:

Obsidian's advice is excellent but since I hate rebatching like a rotted tooth, I usually grate it up and use it in another soap batter as confetti. If you decide to grate, do it as soon as possible. The softer it is, the easier it is to grate. If you have a salad shooter, it's a snap to do. Good luck with the save!

That only works if you have solid soap. In the OP's last picture, it looks like there is a ton of oil separated out on top.

Just chipping in, I have never had issues with the Satsuma either. Hopefully you can work out the kinks, it's a great fragrance.

That only works if you have solid soap. In the OP's last picture, it looks like there is a ton of oil separated out on top.

You're right Obsidian! When I looked at the pic it looked like it was just going through gel, I didn't see oil on top. So if it's solid with no oil separation or lye pockets, you can use it as confetti. If it's separated or has lye pockets it must be rebatched to ensure safety. Thanks for the catch Obsidian!

Back