Second soap attempt.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never had honey beeswax soap be that color. But I've never soaped with raw honey. But I don't think the raw honey should make THAT much difference. I'm inclined to think that is contamination from a container. Your lye water pitcher, mixing bowl, pot, spoon, mold - anything that touches your soap - can you say what materials they are?

I use stainless steel hand mixer. Stainless steel spoon. Crockpot. And I have used glass, wood and non-stick pans for molds. Lye water mixed in plastic bowl.

What color is the soap before you pour it in the mold? Is it refried bean color? Glass wouldn't leech into the soap, but possibly the non-stick pan coating would. But still...that refried bean color is just so strange!

Just yesterday I was in a Super Walmart in Houston, TX and they had NO stick blenders! I was so surprised! The last one I bought was for $13 at a Walmart, so when my DIL said she wanted one, I went looking. That wasn't the only product I can normally find in a Walmart that this one didn't carry. It's so annoying that Walmart does not maintain a common standard for products that they carry in their various stores. I guess I'll try to find a Target next, as I know they are usually pretty good at carrying the same products in their stores. (Or I could be wrong and just hope that is true.)

James, it's so nice that your soap turned out so satisfying. I've not experienced re-fried beans colored soap yet, but brown soap made with coffee for my husband might be somewhat close. He was afraid I would hate the drippings on the shower as regards to cleaning, but it is not a problem. Good luck with your future tweaks of your recipe.
I wasn't able to find a stick blender in my Wal Mart either but they had them online so I ordered and picked it up in my store.

I don't think it's the volume of honey. Looks like you used about 1.75 tablespoons of honey in a 1-lb batch. I am assuming you used 500 g of oils, not 500 g total (oils + lye water)? Here's a soap I did that's 10% beeswax and used 4 Tablespoons honey in 40 oz of soap:
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/hot-process-honey-soap-experiment.57877/
So, that's 1133 g of oils and 84 g of honey. Plus mine got pretty hot since I hot processed!

Not refried bean color!

Can you post a pic of all of your equipment? Are any of your oils a reddish color?

What color is the soap before you pour it in the mold? Is it refried bean color? Glass wouldn't leech into the soap, but possibly the non-stick pan coating would. But still...that refried bean color is just so strange!

It is dark brown well before placing into the mold.

IMG_1959.JPG IMG_1960.JPG
Can you post a pic of all of your equipment? Are any of your oils a reddish color?

That is my equipment basically. The bucket is some crystallized spring honey from 2017 harvest I never canned or bottled for sale.

Oils I am using are are clear clean oils. Once all melted together they are see through and pale yellow.

Back