Second no CO batch

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wearytraveler

Reaction score
Made this last night. Took out lard entirely just cause I've used lard in every recipe since I started soaping back in May of last year and wanted to try without for once. Used 100% aloe vera juice for liquid. It passed the bubble test!

2017-01-29 11.00.53.jpg

No CO and no lard. Palm, avocado, shea and castor. I have started adding some bentonite clay (waiting for kaolin I ordered to arrive) to my batches and it darkened the batch a bit so I added a teaspoon of TD to the oil. The final color is actually more like a super light/faded gray.
This is my second no CO batch and I'm really liking it. Now I have to figure out what to do with a gallon bucket of CO I purchased a month ago!

No coconut oil? or no lard.... or both? Love how white your soap is.

Is it HP? I ask because you already did the lather test, which I don't do with CP that soon, although maybe with gloves on I might. I think if it has a high palm oil content, I'd want to let it cure a bit longer than overnight before using it bare-handed.

It's a lovely smooth looking bar, for sure. Very nice looking. I wonder if the color will lighten up as it cures or if it will remain the gray-ish color you mention.

CPOP. I always do a thorough zap test (wetting an entire bar and testing all sides) before lathering. I've never had an issue. Well, I did once but that was, ironically enough, when I made an HP batch. I gathered up the soap on the side of the pot (the stuff that didn't cook) and went to try it out. Man... I've never had my hands wrinkle and pucker up so fast! I know what exposing lye to skin feels like and I'm NOT going through that again. Also, I did an 8% SF for this batch.
I'll find out about the color at the end of April when I take it out and put it into rotation.

Is it HP? I ask because you already did the lather test, which I don't do with CP that soon, although maybe with gloves on I might. I think if it has a high palm oil content, I'd want to let it cure a bit longer than overnight before using it bare-handed.

It's a lovely smooth looking bar, for sure. Very nice looking. I wonder if the color will lighten up as it cures or if it will remain the gray-ish color you mention.

Before this batch I'd been using 4 TBSP of sugar. This one has 5 TBSP of sugar and I think that will become my standard. I always use castor at 5%. Other than that, nothing else. Note, I did an 8% SF for this recipe and was worried about the lather but that's not an issue. I think going forward I'll use aloe juice for all my recipes. I'll also continue to add a TBSP of sugar to each subsequent batch until I encounter an issue or until I no longer see returns on bubble quantity.

Any other bubble boosters? Aloe helps, but any castor, sugar and so on?

just curious weary traveler...is all that sugar going in your BATCH or is it per pound of oils....? I always feel I'm pushing it at a tablespoon per pound of oils...

I used to use Aloe Juice in my soap a lot and really liked it. I keep meaning to use some again because I still have lots of frozen cubes of it in my freezer. But what with experimenting with other additives, masterbatching, and whatnot, I haven't got around to using up the rest of my Aloe yet. Even without sugar, I was always happy with the boost the Aloe gave to my soaps.

My batches, in total (oils, water, FO), are 55 oz. I used to keep my sugar to a TBSP PPO as well but someone on here mentioned they go for 4 so I decided to try that and have been doing so for about 7 - 8 batches. This was the first time going with 5 (again, reading a post from someone here) and my next batch will have 6. I dissolve sugar in my lye liquid before the lye gets added.

just curious weary traveler...is all that sugar going in your BATCH or is it per pound of oils....? I always feel I'm pushing it at a tablespoon per pound of oils...

​Over the time I've been making soap I've come to realize that my skin doesn't like too much CO and I usually cap it at 10% A couple of weeks back I was contemplating my next batch and I wondered what a no CO bar would feel like and how it would clean. So last weekend I tried it and was happy with it. I even got a bit of grease on my hands while messing around in the garage and I tried the no CO soap to see if it would clean as well as a bar with CO. It cleaned just fine. I did a similar test with this new bar; I poured some olive oil on my hands and rubbed it in then used the new bar to clean. From what I could tell it took a few seconds (maybe 5 - 10) longer of hand scrubbing to get clean but it worked just as good as a bar with CO and it left my hands feeling clean but not overly clean. I also like keeping things as simple as possible and if it means I can cut out an oil and still get results I'm happy with then why not? I think the true test will come when I use these last two no CO batches in April when they have had their time to cure and I put them into rotation and hand them out.

Thank you for explaining that to me. I have read some find coconutoil drying. Awesome you have found a recipe that works for you. I tend to be on the more oily side, so my skin is okay with the "harsher" oils. Let us know how it goes after your cure.

My batches, in total (oils, water, FO), are 55 oz. I used to keep my sugar to a TBSP PPO as well but someone on here mentioned they go for 4 so I decided to try that and have been doing so for about 7 - 8 batches. This was the first time going with 5 (again, reading a post from someone here) and my next batch will have 6. I dissolve sugar in my lye liquid before the lye gets added.
I have made a sugar soap, of course I have, :razz: using 34 oz oils with 20 oz sugar. It was a mix of table sugar and demerra sugar. Oils were tallow, olive oil, CO, PO and 6% castor. The bar was not at all soft and lasted a decent amount of time, and never got weepy. I gave it a long cure. There really is not much I have not tried...

Nice looking soap! Just wondering though.. I have been out of making CP goats milk soap for 10 years. Why don't you like using coconut oil?
For some people any coconut is to harsh for them. I make a gentle facial bar that has no coconut oil. The only thing I notice is the fact it never feels like it rinses with a 5%+ superfat. I use 2% superfat it it, but it is subjective. All soap will lather and adding aloe juice plus sugar really helps, in my next batch I am going to try sorbitrol (hope I spelled it right, it is 4 am and spelling if iffy).

Can sorbital be used along with sugar or is it a direct replacement for sugar? I'm always looking for an excuse to make another batch and an experiment with sorbital sounds like a good excuse to me! I just need some more basic knowledge of it and how it should be used.

I have made a sugar soap, of course I have, :razz: using 34 oz oils with 20 oz sugar. It was a mix of table sugar and demerra sugar. Oils were tallow, olive oil, CO, PO and 6% castor. The bar was not at all soft and lasted a decent amount of time, and never got weepy. I gave it a long cure. There really is not much I have not tried...

For some people any coconut is to harsh for them. I make a gentle facial bar that has no coconut oil. The only thing I notice is the fact it never feels like it rinses with a 5%+ superfat. I use 2% superfat it it, but it is subjective. All soap will lather and adding aloe juice plus sugar really helps, in my next batch I am going to try sorbitrol (hope I spelled it right, it is 4 am and spelling if iffy).

Latest posts

Back