Seawater, sea salt, brine bars, salt bars... Soap scum? DOS?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Seawater contains a fair amount of calcium and magnesium. In practice, does making soap with seawater or sea salt lead to more soap scum compared with “unsalted soap”? I have been using sea salt in some of my soaps without taking the complex mineral content into consideration. It dawned on me this past weekend that the various minerals might contribute to DOS. The concentrations of metals, like copper, zinc, aluminum and iron, are very, very low in seawater, so maybe it’s not a problem? In practice, has anyone noticed a tendency towards more DOS in soap made with seawater or sea salt?

I would like to make some salt bars with sea salt I have on hand, but not if I’m going to have DOS problems down the road.

I've got a couple salt bars from when I first started (almost 8 years) and they are one of my favorites. I have never had DOS in a salt bar. Other soaps, yep, once in a great while. I don't use a chelator, as I've been too lazy and can't locate my EDTA. Once I get re-organized I plan to re-visit it. I do get some soap scum but not really enough to worry about.

I have used both sea water (filtered numerous times to remove itty bitty creatures), and reef salt which is evaporated water from various oceans where underwater reefs are located (we have a reef tank at home). I have never had DOS. But then, mine don't last very long, as they are my hubby's favorite bars. And while I was not a fan of them, I did not notice more soap scum than normal. Now that I live where there is hard water, I find that even my non sea salt bars cause scum, even with EDTA added.

I use sea salt and canning salt in salt bars. I've not noticed more scum with the sea salt.

Overall, salt bars seem to be some of the least scum making bars. My high lard soap is much worse.

I don't use any kind of chelator or additive to prevent DOS. I've only got dos once in a salt bar and I'm sure it was from using old oil.

I use dead sea salt in some of my salt bars--brine bars and even those dont seem prone to dos.
I've heard that Dead Sea salt is one to avoid because it will cause weeping in the bars. I've never tried it, so I'm curious - did you see any weeping or moisture on your salt bars?

I've heard that Dead Sea salt is one to avoid because it will cause weeping in the bars. I've never tried it, so I'm curious - did you see any weeping or moisture on your salt bars?
Yes, when it gets humid my salt bars do weep....dead sea salt is kind of hard to use, it doesnt make the quickly hard bar that salts with less mineral content does...but once it gets hard its lovely...very salty. There is a thread on salt and dead sea salt here somewhere...all the comments and experiences other people have had with dead sea salt, most dont recommend it!

I have a couple of batches made with seawater from 2017. I just checked them, and there is no sign of DOS and I live in a fairly humid climate. (They aren't wrapped). They did develop a soda ash layer, that washes off. Our water is so hard it is practically solid, so any soap creates scum. I haven't noticed the seawater soaps create any more scum than my other bars.

*Sorry I realize you were asking someone else* I found that true but it only lasted a couple of days. Basically I waited it out.

I've had DOS a couple of times but only with lavender EO, both as a higher percent in a mixed EO blend and single note. In both mixed oils and in OO only. So now I don't use Lavender EO in most soap formulas.

I use fine sea salt (San Francisco Salt Company) and much prefer it to plain old grocery sea salt for extravagant lather and silky smooth texture. Also trying an experiment in curing. I live on the dry Western Slope of Colorado with lots of sunshine, and have been putting them out on a black cookie rack in the sun for 10 days or so. Soaps are only a month old but the lather is amazing, as good as my bars that are six months to a year old. Experimenting with batches of fir needle/eucalyptus and lavender/eucalyptus and the essential oils are holding fine. As for DOS, I have salt bars that are five or more years old and no sign of DOS or weepiness. I do store them in rice.

I have used both sea water (filtered numerous times to remove itty bitty creatures), and reef salt which is evaporated water from various oceans where underwater reefs are located (we have a reef tank at home). I have never had DOS. But then, mine don't last very long, as they are my hubby's favorite bars. And while I was not a fan of them, I did not notice more soap scum than normal. Now that I live where there is hard water, I find that even my non sea salt bars cause scum, even with EDTA added.
I’m curios about using reef salt. I had a reef tank which I gave up. I have some reef salt just sitting around. What ratio have you used? Do you notice any difference in your soap using the reef salt vs other salt?

I’m curios about using reef salt. I had a reef tank which I gave up. I have some reef salt just sitting around. What ratio have you used? Do you notice any difference in your soap using the reef salt vs other salt?

I use regular (purple lid and label) Instant Ocean and just mix it to the directions. 1/2 cup per gallon. I don't make salt bars with it as I don't like salt bars. My husband LOVES this soap.

And I tried this before we set up our reef tank as my husband had had a reef tank before we got married and just had the salt sitting around.

I use fine sea salt (San Francisco Salt Company) and much prefer it to plain old grocery sea salt for extravagant lather and silky smooth texture. Also trying an experiment in curing. I live on the dry Western Slope of Colorado with lots of sunshine, and have been putting them out on a black cookie rack in the sun for 10 days or so. Soaps are only a month old but the lather is amazing, as good as my bars that are six months to a year old. Experimenting with batches of fir needle/eucalyptus and lavender/eucalyptus and the essential oils are holding fine. As for DOS, I have salt bars that are five or more years old and no sign of DOS or weepiness. I do store them in rice.
I'm curious about storage in rice. Would you mind explaining how exactly you use the rice?

I have never had Dos in a salt bar and I have a few that are approx 5 years that I hoard. My salt bars are made with 100% fine Pacific Sea Salt, or table salt and I love them. They are my husbands favorite to use also

As for Dead Sea Salt I find any amount over 5% makes for a hard waxy bar with zip lather, and I have tried many formulations using Dead Salt. The ones that will lather are not nearly as nice as my regular salt bars.

Latest posts

Back