Searching for International Dessert Recipes

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The_Emerald_Chicken

Reaction score
Some of my coworkers are organizing an international dinner this week for anyone from the company that's interested. I signed up to bring a dessert. I love baking but can't decide which recipe to try. While browsing the web for inspiration, I thought, "Why not ask for suggestions on SMF?"

Does anyone have suggestions for yummy dessert recipes originating from countries other than the US, especially recipes that are a specialty or trademark of your country?

Birnenkuchen!
(Pear Tart)
(Double measurements are in parentheses because I can't do math on the fly)

½ c. Butter (1c)
1 c. Sugar (2c)
1 1/4 c. Sifted flour (2.5c)
1/2 tsp salt (1tsp)
1/2 tsp cinnamon (1tsp)
1/4 tsp baking powder (.5tsp)
2 15 oz cans of pear halves, drained (4 cans)

1 egg (2)
1 c whipping cream (2c)
1 tsp vanilla (2tsp)
2 Tbsp sugar (4Tbsp)

Preheat oven to 375
Cream together butter and sugar
Add sifted flour, salt, cinnamon, baking powder. Set aside 1/3 c (2/3 c). of the mixture and then, press the rest evenly into 8x8x2 pan(s) or 9 in. springform pan(s).
Add pear halves. Sprinkle with the reserved dough mix. Bake for 15 min.

Beat 1 egg slightly and stir in whipping cream, vanilla, and sugar to make custard. Pour over pears and continue to bake until top is golden and set... 25-30 min.

If you like doughnuts, you should try these: South African Koeksisters

They will take longer than you think to make, since you have to cut and plait the dough before frying, but you can make both the syrup and dough in advance. The finished koeksisters will last in the fridge for a few days and are served cold or at room temperature, so you can easily make them a day or two early.

The big secret is to make sure the HOT fried dough goes straight into very COLD syrup - it's best to have 2 bowls of syrup that cycle through the freezer while you work. I would usually make 1.5 or 2x the syrup recipe, so I have extra for easy soaking by the end. Store them floating in any leftover syrup.

It's also helpful, but not essential to have 2 people on the job when cutting/ plaiting and when frying/soaking in syrup.

They are generally eaten with your fingers, but you'll need wipes nearby as they are very sticky. You could serve them on plates with a fork instead.

Kouign-Amann! Utterly divine, and proudly wears the title of the fattiest pastry in all of Europe

The ingredients are also very common, butter, flour, salt, butter, water, yeast, butter, sugar, and oh yeah, butter.

Its a laminated pastry however, and requires quite a few steps. The good part is its meant to be rustic so if it gets messy or imperfect, its no problem! If you ever were curious about making a laminated dough, like a croissant, this is actually a good place to get your feet wet. And its unbelievably delicious.

Last edited:
20230227_195633.jpg

The Japanese cheesecake is in the oven @basti! :swinging: I chose this recipe because it took ingredients and supplies that we already had, because it could be made several days in advance, and because I like making cheesecake.

I'm hoping to try more of these recipes later.

ETA: Here's the finished product. I'm saddened by the thought of waiting till Thursday to try it.
20230227_211816.jpg

Last edited:
I've always wanted to try one of those cheese cakes, they look really good.

My favorite regional dessert is black forest cake. I use imported cherries from the black forest(bought at trader joes) and imported kirsch to make it authentic as possible.
Its not a overly sweet dessert, the booze could be replaced with cherry juice to make it kid friendly and a little sweeter.
https://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/black-forest-cake/

Latest posts

Back