Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darneshiamixon

Reaction score
I am preparing to make a seamoss soap for the first time. I've prepared a seamoss gel to incorporate into the soap as part of my water weight. I am aware that many people have successfully made seamoss soap but I'm wondering if it's a good use of expensive seamoss. My concern is that the sodium hydroxide and heat will kill the "good stuff" and benefits of the seamoss leaving me with a seamoss soap but one with way less benefits.

Is this true?

What benefits are there with this seamoss stuff? And to really take advantage of them, is it best to leave it on? Like as a lotion or a mud mask? Because if that's how you get the benefits of it, then you're going to lose out on it either way in soap, since it'll be rinsed off immediately. It's like teeth whitening mouthwash; absolute waste of money since whitening is about surface contact time.

There are sooo many benefits to it as it contains over 90 minerals our body needs. It's either taken internally by spoonful or by mixing it into a smoothie or food, some people take it powdered in capsules, and in the beauty industry people use it for skin care. You make a good point that it is best used topically when it sits on your skin rather than being rinsed off immediately! Thank you!

If that's what you want, you won't get it with soap, a wash-off product. The minerals may or may not be altered by NaOH, but chances are many will change form due to chemical reactions of the soap making process.

If that's what you want, you won't get it with soap, a wash-off product. The minerals may or may not be altered by NaOH, but chances are many will change form due to chemical reactions of the soap making process.

You're right! Thank you Earlene!

Back