Seak advice on first CP soap batch (with photos)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sirm

Reaction score
Hi there!

First time poster.
I have started to search about soap making a couple weeks ago. Ordered the equipment and materials to start with and yesterday attemepted my first batch of CP soap ever...

I cut it roughtly a while ago and here's what I came up with:

pic204.jpg

Sorry for the picture quality but my camera is broken , so used the mobile instead.

It seems to have solidified almost evenly except for the corners that are still soft. The sides got a bit damaged since it has sticked to the liner and had to use a knife to help get it out.

Should have waited a little longer to unmold it but I couldn't resist to have a pick.

It doesn't have any visible bubbles and not quite sure if it has gelled or not.

Toughts on my first batch? What can I do to improve it the next time?

Thanks guys!

It looks great, you did a good job with it. It doesn't look like it gelled but thats ok, soap doesn't have to gel. I think it stuck and is soft from being unmolded too soon. How long was it in the mold before you took it out? What kind of mold did you use?

Best advice I can give you for next time it to leave it in the mold longer. It should come away from the mold easily, I've only had to use a knife once and that was because I forgot to oil the plastic mold I was using and it stuck very badly.

I think your soap looks great. I agree with Obsidian and think it was taken out of the mold too soon. I use silicone molds, and if my soaps don't gel it can take a day or two longer to unmold. I've had plenty of batches with corners left behind because I couldn't wait to have a look. This has taught me to be patient - for the most part.

Funny, it looks so much like my first batch of soap I made last October! Is it a Bastille recipe? That's what I did anyways. Yours looks great. I agree with Obsidian, it's just soft because it was unmolded too soon. I learnt a new thing by reading this as well - I never grease my paper! Maybe I will start now :)

Thanks a lot for your kind comments and welcoming words.

@ Obsidian - It was left in the mold for 17 hours. I made the mold myself out of wood and used butter paper for lining; couldn't find freezing paper anywhere. Butter paper doesn't have any anti-adherent surface, therefore it got stuck.... If the soap is not yet to hard and you can get it out with a knife without crumbling it entirely, the uneven rustic edges look great to me!

I'm wondering if an oiled butter paper could have worked?

@ dibbles - The soap dryed out pretty quickly. I suppose if a silicon mold has been used (and even if it has't gelled), probably would need a couple more days or so to get to the right unmolding point.

I'll be ordering a silicon mold for my next soaping deviations to see what can be made differently.

@ CMars - It's an argan / soybean/ sunflower soap. The next one will be a plain Castile soap! :) It's a delish to browse the local market with so many great organic producers with their oils, herbs, frangances, foods...

@ Cactuslily - A month ago, if someone told me I would be making soap (or thinking about making it) I would have call them insane, "you don't know what you are talking about" "you don't know me for sure"... and now, against the strangest odds and probabilities, I find myself, in bed, at night, rambling about soap designs... Have this ever happened to you?

@ Susie - Given my personality i am scared if I'm hill or if you are right and I am indeed addicted to this. The truth is, I now stop in front of shops I have never been inclined to enter, and stare in amazement of some products, wondering what I could do with them. If some shopkeeper cames along and invite me in, "i'm just eye-browsing some stuff my wife woud like to work with". What? Seems I am in denial. Those are typically the symptoms from an addict of any kind. Soap-addict. Is that a thing?

I guess only time can be the judge for my reason or my insanity.

Anyway, hence I wasn't happy the way the top came out, here's an update:

pic205.jpg

Which can provide a better insulation? Wood or silicon molds?

Last edited:
Welcome Sirm! Very lovely soap! I wish my first would have looked so lovely. :)

I agree with the others- those soft sides are a very telling sign that the soap did not gel. Waiting a few days before unmolding un-gelled soap will make the task much easier. :thumbup:

IrishLass :)

Congratulations on your fist soap. Welcome to the addiction!

To answer your last question, wood molds insulate better. You can get them with silicon liners if you don't want to line.

Latest posts

Back