Sea Water Homestyle Savon de Marseille

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alan117

Reaction score
Hi
Here are some pictures of my homemade style “Savon de Marseille”

73% Olive oil (2,585gr)
27% Coconut (950gm)
Lye (500gm)

Sea Water (from Western Australia) 1, 2 litre

I added about two table spoons titanium dioxide to the sea water and lye mix.

I never bother to measure the temperature other that feeling the outside of the containers containing the melted fats/oils and the lye mix to feel that they are not too hot.

To some of the soaps I added about two teaspoons green French clay per litre.

For a bit of variation to other separate batches I added things like:
Fine green tea leaves, Turmeric powder, melted candle wax.

For scents I used premixed fragrant oils from the soap supply shop. (+/- 3% in separate batches):
Cypress, Rain Forrest, Lemon Oil

Anyway the mix worked well and did not set too rapidly, even after adding the fragrant oils so I was able to pour it into moulds leisurely.

It unmoulded very easily the next day and was easy to cut, although the cylinder moulds tended to split (crumble) when I cut it into discs. Perhaps this is due to the “in the pot” swirl attempt with the turmeric.

The soap when used is very nice and creamy, with fluffy bubbles and feels soft and very moisturizing.

I have in the past made soaps using plain water, goat’s milk and butters.
I am not convinced that this soap it is markedly better or worse than the mix would be if I had used plain water or goat’s milk instead of sea water, nor am I convinced that adding some butters (coco, shea or mango) would make a noticeable difference to the characteristics of the soap.

Still it was good fun and yet another reason to cycle to the beach for a swim to collect some sea water.

Sorry I thought the images would upload automatically!
Perhaps this will work:
beach1t.jpg

savondemexamplesuncut.jpg

savondemgreentealeftand.jpg

savondemtumericbrownand.jpg

Or perhaps you can help-
how can I display images directly on this page?
Thanks

Your soaps look really great!

How long did you let your soaps cure, before doing the comparisions?

Plus I'm curious ... what does melted candle wax add to soap? What does it feel like?

Dragonkaz- thanks for you help and for displaying the photos.

Bizarrely I cannot see "Embed this image" on the ImageShack webpage or on the soapmakingforum webpage-I have looked right and left!!

I have only let the soaps cure for about 2 weeks now. Before I give them away for people to use I guess I will let them cure another few weeks.

I melted about a half a tablespoon of candle wax in about 5ml olive oil in the microwave and added this to about 75ml soap mix, then used the latter to swirl into about a litre of plain soap mix at trace.
The candle wax seems to have "melted" into the soap-there are no lumpy bits.
I tried this instead of using crayon wax which I have tried in the past using a similar mixing method.
(Crayon wax seems to be a bit easier to work with-for no particular reason)

Thanks again for your imput

alan117 said:
Bizarrely I cannot see "Embed this image" on the ImageShack webpage or on the soapmakingforum webpage-I have looked right and left!!
... ops ... it's on the right side of the page. You need to click on it and a list of codes will show up ... chose the forum code.
alan117 said:
I melted about a half a tablespoon of candle wax in about 5ml olive oil in the microwave and added this to about 75ml soap mix, then used the latter to swirl into about a litre of plain soap mix at trace.
The candle wax seems to have "melted" into the soap-there are no lumpy bits.
I tried this instead of using crayon wax which I have tried in the past using a similar mixing method.
(Crayon wax seems to be a bit easier to work with-for no particular reason)
Thanks for that. I was interested as I thought I'd read somewhere not to use crayons in soap, but it sounds like it worked ok for you.

I definitely recommend a longer cure if you want to trial the real quality of your soap.

Back