Sea salt soap how to questions

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dianae

Reaction score
Getting ready to do my first small batch salt soap this weekend and have a few questions. I’ve reviewed the numerous posts on SMF and have a couple of recipes I’m looking forward to trying, either IrishLass‘ recipe OR the 100% CO with coconut milk, with 50% salt. While I’m deciding, here’s what I’m not sure about...

BTW I have taken a CP class, scoured YouTube and other websites for study and inspiration. I’ve made a few small batches to test out formulas, ingredients and technique. My oils have been Lard, OO, CO, Castor so far. I just purchased some SAO and sunflower oil so will incorporate those in future recipes. I’m having a great time but as this is my first SALT soap, I have questions.

1. What is the recommended temp to soap with 50% Salt? …I usually soap between 95 to 115F, but since salt is involved should I soap at a different temp? If I use a higher amount of salt, does the temp need to change?

2. I have some M&P molds, the stiff, clear plastic kind I bought at a yard sale years ago. They’re in great shape, I think they’re from Hobby Lobby. Will these be ok to use for CP salt bars? I don’t want to use a loaf mold on my first try so that’s a no go. I have silicone but they’re not the size/shape I want but will use if y’all don’t think it’s wise to use the plastic ones.

3. Do these need to be insulated with a towel after placing in the mold? I do plan on using activated charcoal and understand gelling can enrich the color, but again, should salt be treated differently?

4. This will be a small batch (1lb oils + 8oz salt). I usually use .5oz FO ppo, but should I use more due to the salt?

thanks guys!

You can soap salt bars around 95-100, adding more salt won't affect temps.

The m&p molds will be fine, just be gentle when unmolding.
I wouldn't try to insulate and gel in those molds, it could warp them.

I use 1 oz ppo for salt bars. They need to cure for a long time and the salt seems to dilute the scent some.

1. What is the recommended temp to soap with 50% Salt? …I usually soap between 95 to 115F, but since salt is involved should I soap at a different temp? If I use a higher amount of salt, does the temp need to change?
You'll be fine in that range. I've done 35% to 75% salt and never worried about the temp. I often use the heat transfer method to melt my hard oils, so I'm often around 110º to 125º.

2. I have some M&P molds, the stiff, clear plastic kind I bought at a yard sale years ago. They’re in great shape, I think they’re from Hobby Lobby. Will these be ok to use for CP salt bars? I don’t want to use a loaf mold on my first try so that’s a no go. I have silicone but they’re not the size/shape I want but will use if y’all don’t think it’s wise to use the plastic ones.
You can use them, but you might need to put your bars in the freezer in order to unmold. Some people also coat them with a thin coating of mineral oil. The MO won't saponify and will make for easier release.

3. Do these need to be insulated with a towel after placing in the mold? I do plan on using activated charcoal and understand gelling can enrich the color, but again, should salt be treated differently?
Cavity molds don't gel the soap as easily, but I've never worried about whether my salt bars gelled or didn't gel. I've put HP batter in my clear plastic mold, and they didn't melt. But you'd still want to be careful about getting them too hot since they could warp.

4. This will be a small batch (1lb oils + 8oz salt). I usually use .5oz FO ppo, but should I use more due to the salt?
Yes, so try to find an FO with a higher safe usage rate, since they vary quite a bit.

Thank everybody😊 I’m hoping to get to it tomorrow as other life events got in the way today.

I’m doing my first salt bars this weekend too! Good luck us!! 🍀🧂🧽🤞🏼
Great TashaBird! Please share how yours went and I’ll do the same.

Ok, so I finally made my salt bars and I had a brief but fun time. I used 75% CO, 15% OO, 5% SAO, 5% CaO with 17% super fat and 50% finely ground Himalayan rock salt, and activated charcoal for color. Scented with WSPs Cucumber and Matcha Green Tea... really nice scent, like walking in a garden by the beach. They felt hard for the most part after 6 hours, but play-dough soft on the edges when I pulled them out. I won’t use these until next summer giving them the recommended cure time. Here’s a couple of pics.. I’m going to make grapefruit-scented swirl salt bars for my next batch.

Attachments

• A80DBBB6-FD05-41F9-9491-F01032144FED.jpeg
    A80DBBB6-FD05-41F9-9491-F01032144FED.jpeg
    176.4 KB · Views: 16
  • A85A30DF-2017-4D1A-9C3D-348BEEC4EE80.jpeg
    A85A30DF-2017-4D1A-9C3D-348BEEC4EE80.jpeg
    185.4 KB · Views: 16
Ok, so I finally made my salt bars and I had a brief but fun time. I used 75% CO, 15% OO, 5% SAO, 5% CaO with 17% super fat and 50% finely ground Himalayan rock salt, and activated charcoal for color. Scented with WSPs Cucumber and Matcha Green Tea... really nice scent, like walking in a garden by the beach. They felt hard for the most part after 6 hours, but play-dough soft on the edges when I pulled them out. I won’t use these until next summer giving them the recommended cure time. Here’s a couple of pics.. I’m going to make grapefruit-scented swirl salt bars for my next batch.
They look nice!

They look great. Be warned, himalayan salt is very likely to be scratchy, even the finely ground.
If you normally rub soap directly on your skin, he careful until you know how these feel.
You really need to be using cheap sea salt or even canning salt.

I agree with obsidian about the Himalayan salt. Don’t give these away until you’ve tested on your skin and warn the recipients. Himalayan salt can scratch deep enough draw blood. Not fun.

I discovered this the hard way... I purchased an artisan salt soap at Whole Foods. It had fine pink salt in the body and coarse grains on the top. This was my first salt soap and made the mistake of using this straight on the skin. I looked like I was in a brawl with a cat😼 even though I was careful not to use the course end. The soap was great for my skin though despite. I just use a loofah cloth and no more scratching. I will definitely pass on the warning😉

I would report it to Whole Foods if you purchased the soap recently, they may not even realize that soap opens up a lawsuit for them.

Also, do not grind up salt, it can sharpen the edges of salt even more. You would be very surprised how prickly even ground powdered salt can be in soap, so always purchased powdered or x-fine to fine salt. Actually I have even purchased fine sea salt that turned out prickly leaving me with 28 un-saleable salt bars. Looking at you Winco and their fine Sea Salt. San Francisco Bath Salt Company has lovely salts. Just Add Sea Salt | San Francisco Salt Company or
https://seasalt.com/
Calspa is the salt I like in fine.

Last edited:
I would report it to Whole Foods if you purchased the soap recently, they may not even realize that soap opens up a lawsuit for them.

Also, do not grind up salt, it can sharpen the edges of salt even more. You would be very surprised how prickly even ground powdered salt can be in soap, so always purchased powdered or x-fine to fine salt. Actually I have even purchased fine sea salt that turned out prickly leaving me with 28 un-saleable salt bars. Looking at you Winco and their fine Sea Salt. San Francisco Bath Salt Company has lovely salts. Just Add Sea Salt | San Francisco Salt Company or
https://seasalt.com/
Calspa is the salt I like in fine.

I’ll send the company a message and warn them about my experience. Hopefully, they are a responsible soaper and do what’s right, at the very least put a warning on it.

Thanks for the salt suggestions, I had no idea salt came is so many diverse flavors. I didn’t see calspa after I performed a website search but I’ll keep looking.

I also made a batch with Himalayan that down right hurt to use directly on the skin. They're okay when using a shower pouf or anything similar. I only use fine sea salt now.

Back